• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anko

torakris

I should have been more specific.

This and other similar snacks are called oshiruko.

Images of oshiruko can be found here.

It's a red bean soup with some mochi in it.

"Tsubu an" refers to an or anko (red bean jam) with skins un-removed, as opposed to "koshi an", which is an with skins removed.

I should have been more specific.

This and other similar snacks are called oshiruko.

Images of oshiruko can be found here.

It's a red bean soup with some mochi in it.

"Tsubu an" refers to an or anko (red bean jam) with skins un-removed, as opposed to "koshi an", which is an with skins removed.

man....I love oshiruko, also called zenzai in the kansai area. I'm not 100% certain but it's usually consumed around the winter season, or more specifically (this is where I'm not certain) around the new years...atleast that's when we had it served in our family.

Yum~

mmmmmm delicious!  thank you very much hiroyuki

is this a snack, dessert, or meal?

You have already had it? :blink:

I'd say it's a snack. It's a favoriate of women's, and I'm not a fan of it.

nope, I just said mmm delicious because I can't wait to have it :raz:

I am always getting ahead of myself when it comes to food. Good thing I'm a woman, cause I'm sure I'll love it.

rykomatsu, my korean mother serves a red bean soup every new years with little mochi balls in it. It's similar to the japanese variety, except for the mochi part. Korean mochi is much chewier and doesn't have the property to "melt". It'll be nice to try a variation on the dish though and big mochi squares with red beans sounds more appealing to me then little mochi balls throughout the dish. I think this snack will be good to take to school and eat between classes when it's cold out

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

Just be careful of overheating the mochi, which can melt into an unholy mess. Also, I would not serve this to very young children, as it can be a choking hazard.

That said, I love oshiruko, but I'm a woman  :raz:

yep, I should've added that there was a warning on the side about not feeding it to children or the elderly

I would not serve this to very young children, as it can be a choking hazard.

When I was about 5, the exact thing happened above during new years holiday, while I was at my aunt/uncle's place. Choked and well...it dislodged and at the same time what came out of my mouth ended up on the osechi boxes :/ needless to say I wasn't too popular that holiday at my relative's place :/

Yay, oshiruko! It's actually easy enough to make the red bean part that I never buy it, except from the hot serve beverage vending machines on a cold winter day when I'm actually in Japan.

However, I am also very fond of the version with shiratama instead of mochi.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Shiratama (lit. white balls) are sweets made from shiratama-ko (refined mochi rice flour).

Shiratama

Shiratama-ko

I would recommend one part kinako (roasted soy bean flour) and one part sugar plus a pinch of salt to make kinako mochi.

Put the mochi in a container, add some water, wrap in plastic wrap, and heat it up!

Shiratama (lit. white balls) are sweets made from shiratama-ko (refined mochi rice flour).

Shiratama

Shiratama-ko

I would recommend one part kinako (roasted soy bean flour) and one part sugar plus a pinch of salt to make kinako mochi.

Put the mochi in a container, add some water, wrap in plastic wrap, and heat it up!

maybe shiratama was what my mother made for me on new years? They were little tiny mochi balls about the size of a dime - a nickel (don't know their japanese equivalents :hmmm: ). It's nice to have a little chewy bite with a smooth sweet bean.

Shiratama

Shiratama-ko

maybe shiratama was what my mother made for me on new years? They were little tiny mochi balls about the size of a dime - a nickel (don't know their japanese equivalents :hmmm: ). It's nice to have a little chewy bite with a smooth sweet bean.

It seems that the little mochi balls you're talking about are called saelsim in Korean. This website has a recipe for them, but it doesn't quite explain what "sticky rice powder" is. By description, it may be the same thing?

Mmm...kinako and sugar...I love eating freshly pounded mochi (picked up at the local Buddhist church's annual New Year's mochi-tsuki) dipped in that stuff. It has to be really fresh mochi for me to eat it that way. Store bought mochi is never quite as soft, and day-old mochi I find is better toasted and then dipped in sato jyoyu. Worse yet, my husband brought home some sort of weird "cinnamon raisin mochi" that a co-worker (on a gluten-free diet) was raving about. His co-worker gave it to my husband thinking that I'd like it. It's just sooo wrong. :shock:

All this talk of oshiruko reminds me of the days when my obaachan would make me a bowl of it in the winter time. :smile: