• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oval Challah Pan

Comfort Me

Aidan,  I think I found them--and in several sizes.  The link is below.  And please post the chocolate challah recipe.  I can't get that thought out of my mind now!

http://www.happyhomepage.com/cgi-bin/happy...exact_match=yes

I'm doing a happy dance! All around my office! My co-workers think I'm verkachteh!

I have already placed an order for two pans -- and if they work out well, I'll buy six more.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

I can hardly wait for Pesach to be over!

I will post the recipe for the chocolate challah very, very soon!

OY! you should have waited and checked out King Arthur Flour. Their nice, heavy-guage pans are on sale (probably because it's still Passover)? They cost more than the ones you got, even on sale, but.

(Is this Jewish echad-upmanship?) Nah.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to give everyone an update.

Pesach ended and the yeast-induced orgy of baking began. My first bake-analia was a double batch of chocolate challah. (I wanted to make a couple loaves using the oval pans as part of a gift for friends with a new baby.)

So -- I made the dough -- which after a couple of weeks without baking seemed more alive and exciting than I remember. THe dough is a real pleasure to work with. It rose gloriously.

i6468.jpg

I had decided early on to try a couple of different techniques, because I wanted to test my theory that the dough performed better when baked in a pan. So I scalled 1.5 pound loaves for the ovals, 2 pounds for a large loaf pan with a fake braid, and 3 pounds for a large five strand braid.

i6468.jpg

THe braids for the oval looked lovely, as did the five strand. I didn't take a pic of the fake braid before it was baked.

I'm definitely going to buy a couple more oval pans. Maybe not from Happy Home, though. I'm going to try to find the metal shop on 13th Ave. in Boro Park.

If any of you have tried my chocolate challah recipe, please let me know if you have any improvements.

TTFN.

i6470.jpg

i6471.jpg

THey all looked promising coming out of the oven -- though I think the 5 strand spread out a bit too much.

i6472.jpg

THe taste was great, though. The loaf in the pan did, as I expected, slice better and had a firmer consistancy. This dough just seems happier in a pan.

i6473.jpg

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

OY! you should have waited and checked out King Arthur Flour. Their nice, heavy-guage pans are on sale (probably because it's still Passover)? They cost more than the ones you got, even on sale, but.

Suzanne, If you found oval pans on the King Arthur's Flour catalog, please post the item number--I can't find them there.

Comfort me,

I made the chocolate challah 2 days before passover (I'm not Jewish) and meant to post after passover, but forgot. I followed the recipe almost exactly (I had a lot of good chocolate chips, and used that instead of chocolate chunks). I've done a fair amount of baking, but this was my first challah. The recipe was perfect and my loaves (no pan) looked very professional. You can write recipes for me anytime.

I had never heard of chocolate challah and in my head expected something even more chocolaty, but that's not your fault, just my expectations. I'll report that it was delicious toasted and spread with Nutella. Guilding the lilly for sure. I have the second loaf in the freezer and plan to make french toast with it, but haven't had the chance.

Reading this thread prompted me to try baking challah for the first time. I'm not Jewish but have respect for Jewish traditions and LOVE challah! I've made it twice now and have impressed myself! On the first occasion I made it I was short of time, but on the second occasion I gave the dough its second rising overnight rising in the fridge. The dough was much easier to handle. I had friends visiting the evening I baked the bread - one guy ate half of one loaf and took the other one home with him! I investigated buying items from Happy Home (incl. the oval pans) but the shipping costs were exorbitant. If anyone knows of a company who will ship items like these to the UK for a reasonable rate, I'd be interested in knowing about them. Thanks!