• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unexplained Snacks of America

iain

Hey, if you're going to mention Tim Tams, you can't very well leave out the Mint Slices. Served directly from the freezer, thank you...

And the chicken salt I mentioned earlier. :wub: It's subtle, but a nice addition to hot chips (fries) and veggies. I still remember the first time I was asked, at a chip shop, "you want salt or chicken salt?" haha. chicken salt??

(it's just a seasoned salt, with garlic, onion, whatever... no chicken essence involved)

*edited* to add... oh, Oz also happens to be the first place I ever had quince paste, with a cheese platter. This discovery led me to the Barossa Valley, where I discovered Maggie Beers, and her line of various other 'pastes' and jams, to be had with cheeses. I still have a few containers of quince and cabernet pastes from her... yum

Edited by cakewench (log)

...(I wonder if the author was confused with Scrapple, which is ANOTHER southern food)...

I've lived in Philadelphia - and I've lived in the south - and I can assure you that no southern person would be caught dead eating Scrapple - it's one of the few dishes that Philadelphia can claim as its own :smile: . Robyn

OH GAWD, I LOVE SCRAPPLE.... They just started selling it here in Utah a couple of years ago and I eat it on a weekly basis. Hmmmmm.....It's got everything: when fried up it is crispy on the outside with a rich, creamy, meaty inside...

whenever I cook it for people I wait until AFTER they are finished to explain what it is made of...

lips and assholes...hehehe

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Interesting. I've never heard dim sum used in the plural, like "dim sums," before reading this topic.

In America, dim sum refers to that chinese tapas-like tea meal held in the morning, or the food served at that meal.

jhlurie Years ago -- I mean YEARS ago, there was a radio commercial for Scrapple ----"Scrapple-oh-de-lay-de-aay, Comes from Philadelph -aye-aay". -----"Philadelphia Scrapple friends, with that advice, my story ends."

Is that still around, anywhere?

Bicycle Lee ---- amazing what a few wonderful spices can do to pig snouts!! I don't know if I would like it if I did not coat it, and fry it so as to get that crispy outer and creamy inner.

I've seen Dim Sum / Dim Sim / Deem Sim or Seem, and probably other spellings. Whatever it's called, I know what it is and that is what matters. Some restaurants have the term Dim Sum on a menu, but they only mean one type -- usually a dumpling, but mostly an open topped dumpling(shao mai). The term actually covers over 1000 items, and I get weak just thinking of the magnitude and variety! LOL!

Edited by jo-mel (log)

Hey, if you're going to mention Tim Tams, you can't very well leave out the Mint Slices. Served directly from the freezer, thank you...

oh, Tim Tams... how i miss them so! When an Aussie friend comes to visit the States, she always brings a small stash of Tim Tams and Violet Crumbles. yum. :biggrin:

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

Of course, there's the classic English dessert: Spotted Dick...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”