• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for Nashville dining?

chefseanbrock

Well, for traditional "fine dining" there's only three choices that I know of -- your place (The Capitol Grille), The Wild Boar, and Arthur's (at the Union Station hotel). That's also the order in which I'd rank them, although The Wild Boar does have an incredible wine list and a very knowledgeable sommelier.

Other good places that may be of interest include Margot, Zola, Basante's, F. Scott's, and probably many others I forgot.

Nowhere near fine dining but places that Marissa and I frequent due to good bars include The Trace, which we like to visit on Sunday, when the lounge lizards are away, and The Bound'ry, where the bartender is a friend of mine (the pizzas rock there, too, and there's occasionally some very interesting menu items, but somewhat hit-and-miss due to the daily-changing specials).

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

While we were recently in Nashville, we lunched at the Opryland Hotel. Yes, I know it's probably not what you're looking for, but I have to tell you the crab and shrimp omlette my son had was amazing as was the blackened prime rib hubby ordered. On the other hand, my burger was so so.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I know of only four, including yourself.

By the way, I haven't actually been to Tayst. In fact, I had forgotten that it existed before you mentioned it. However, I drive by it all the time so maybe Marissa and I will get down there sometime within the next week or so and I can post a review. The short bit they had in the Scene mentioned braised short ribs with foie gras, so it might be pretty damn good.

Speaking of Nashville eGulleters, were any at the Gunderloch tasting last Friday night with Fritz Hasselbach? Great wines, and he brought a bottle of their 2002 "Nackheim Rothenberg" TBA that was to die for. It was a very educational tasting.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

I grew up in Nashville but only get back to Nashville once a year for the winter holidays. We don't do much "fine dining" in restaurants when there, but a couple of years ago my husband and I had a fanstastic dinner without the kids at Mere Bulle's (with an acute accent over the "e" in "mere" which I have forgotten how to type on my keyboard; French for "mother"), downtown near the waterfront.

I lived for 24 years in Nashville, moved to near Philly in June 2001. It's too cold here--although I grew up in Illinois with cold winters, my blood has thinned too much--and the traffic and cost of living are terrible compared to Tennessee. I'm looking to move back to Nashville soon.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I don't exactly live in Nashville but in one of the adjacent counties. Nashville is where we go for most dining out. I have enjoyed Sean's work on a number of occasions and am looking forward to returning soon.

I don't exactly live in Nashville but in one of the adjacent counties. Nashville is where we go for most dining out.

Dang, and I was counting you!

So just three that I know of. Myself, chefseanbrock, and pogophiles (I think).

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Actually, I don't count either as I live just across the county line in LaVergne. And clothier is correct, I'm much more experienced with low-end eating in the area than I am with the more expensive restaurants. I do enjoy and appreciate what they offer, but I don't get a lot of opportunity to indulge in that manner.

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Actually, I don't count either as I live just across the county line in LaVergne. And clothier is correct, I'm much more experienced with low-end eating in the area than I am with the more expensive restaurants. I do enjoy and appreciate what they offer, but I don't get a lot of opportunity to indulge in that manner.

Nice to see you Pogos.

How's life?

How's life?

Actually, life is excellent just now, clothier, at least partially as a result of an earlier poster to this thread. By a happy coincidence, our anniversary was on Good Friday AND our children were spending a couple of days with their grandparents. My wife surprised me with a dinner at Chef Sean Brock's Capital Grille restaurant. The meal experience was absolutely wonderful!! Service was warm and welcoming without being cloying or overbearing (not even a hint of stuffiness or arrogance) and the food was by far the best I've eaten in Nashville. My wife started with the Tasting of Soups, which consisted of demitasse cups of wild mushroom, rutabaga, and a sweet onion bisque (all three were highly concentrated, outrageously rich and most satisfying) and followed with the Spice Roasted Moulard Duck Breast, which she enjoyed tremendously. I had the Crab Cakes with Meyer lemon coulis, followed by the Hazelnut Dusted Black Grouper. The server matched a glass of wine for me for each of these courses -- the choices nicely complemented the dishes (both of which had significant citrus components and both of which were excellent). In the course of our discussions with the server, eGullet came up, which prompted a visit from the Chef. We chatted for a few minutes (delightful fellow) and were rewarded with a "dessert tasting", the centerpiece of which (for me) was the St. Andre Cheesecake with roasted seckle pear, smoked almonds & port wine syrup. The almonds (smoked in-house) phenomenally good in combination with the cheesecake (as was the 30 YO tawny port I was brought -- also comped, as was the entire 3 course dessert portion of the meal). I was quite intrigued by the last dish brought out, which consisted of a small amout of, if I remember correctly, grapefruit ice cream topped with a clear lozenge (the exact flavor evades me at the moment) and a bit of avocado, served in a large wide-rimmed bowl with a selection of salts around the rim of bowl (there were six salts, including a smoked salt and a pink hawaiian salt). My apologies for not having taken notes, but frankly this was not only a special occasion, but a surprise as well. Suffice it to say that every dish brought to our table worked very well, the service was flawless, and the dinner was one of the most enjoyable that I have ever experienced. It is obvious that Chef Brock loves what he is doing and is aiming very high. I look forward to taking Chef Brock up on his invitation to return for a full tasting menu at some point in the future. I can't think of anything I'd rather do at a Nashville restaurant just now. Thanks for asking, clothier!!

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.