• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jallab Syrup

I have just purchased a bottle of Jallab Syrup from my local grocery store. The name and the ingredients just caught my eye, so I bought it. :biggrin:

I drizzled it over cold poached pears...that was good and my friends were impressed. But beyond that, I am at a loss.

I would appreciate anyone letting me know what it is, where it comes from and how it is traditionally used, etc. It is quite lovely, imho...a very suave taste of grape molasses and roses...wonderful.

Much thanks

• 2 weeks later...
If it's the same as the Persian syrups, the only use I know of is for cold drinks and sharbats (shaved ice concoctions).

Pat

That is what it is used for in Lebanon as well (was the brand you bought called Kassatly Shtoura (sp?)). Basically add add syrup to taste to water and serve over crushed ice garnished with some pinenuts and pistachios.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 4 months later...

I saw a recipe for it in my Lebanese cookbook the other day. You can mke your own syrup with raisins and dates. I bet it would taste better thatn the store bought one.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

• 3 years later...

I add just a bit, basically to taste, to unsweetened iced tea just to give a hint of flavor and a hint of sweetness. Then after I pour over ice in my glass, I add toasted pine nuts. I find this very refreshing and tasty. And a real break from southern style iced tea.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

1- Jallab drink is originally made with Carob and not Grapes or Dates.

2- Jallab is served with pine kernels (raw) and raisins (rehydrated).

3- As an alternative, you could use your Jallab concentrate to make excellent frozen Ice Cream or a variant of Carrot cake.

4- The Carob pods are harvested in summer and sun dried. They are pressed in a mill and left to ferment with water then strained and finally boiled. However this is not the recipe for Jallab but strictly the Carob process. From this process both Carob Molasses=Debs Kharoob and Jallab syrup are derivated.

Of course, the Kharoob molasses is enjoyed with Tahineh = Debs wah Tahineh

5- For the small history. The Carat unit to measure gold and diamond is derived from the Carob original Greek terminology "Keration" and in Arabic language the phoenetic of Carat is "Keirat" which is closer to the Greek phoenetic.....zzzzzzzzzz