• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Long Live the King

bloviatrix

The cover story in USA Today's business section is about BK's attempt to improve it's food and its image. As part of the plan, they're fixing the Whopper.

Under Edgerton's tutelage, a Whopper that tastes more like the original will appear this summer. The pickles and tomatoes will be of higher quality. The artificial mayo will be replaced with real mayo. The lettuce will be fresher. The bun will be tastier. The meat will be ground more coarsely. Only the Heinz ketchup stays the same.

Burger King zaps Menu, Image

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There's no denying that the home of the Whopper is in a serious pickle. Already this year, after just months on their jobs, its president resigned and its ad agency got the boot.

Its largest franchisee, Carrols, which has 351 units in 13 states, last week reported a 66% drop in net income for 2003 and strongly criticized the chain. Alan Vituli, CEO of Carrols, blamed failed new-product and marketing initiatives, "many of which have been abandoned in the past few months."

One of its biggest franchisees went belly up in 2002 — and more bankruptcies may be on deck. Hundreds of Burger King's 7,778 U.S. locations have been shuttered in the past year, and hundreds more remain in limbo.

Consumer perception of the brand is lousy. Many consumers are confused by its schizophrenic marketing. That's not to mention how disappointed others are with its food.

Wow.

So that was Rick Bayless' secret plan: Advertize for BK and drive them into bankruptcy.

I apologize for ever doubting you or thinking that you were a shameless lying pimp, Chef.

You're A OK in my book.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

The cover story in USA Today's business section is about BK's attempt to improve it's food and its image. As part of the plan, they're fixing the Whopper.
Under Edgerton's tutelage, a Whopper that tastes more like the original will appear this summer. The pickles and tomatoes will be of higher quality. The artificial mayo will be replaced with real mayo. The lettuce will be fresher. The bun will be tastier. The meat will be ground more coarsely. Only the Heinz ketchup stays the same.

Burger King zaps Menu, Image

Other than a more flavorful bun and more coarsely chopped meat, pretty much the Whopper BK built back in the mid 70's.

All the major fast food chains have gotten away from the "Quality" of Ray Kroc's "QSC" - quality, service and cleanliness. A big "duh" to BK management for discovering real mayonnaise and fresh sliced onions. Now if they, and even more so McD's, can only pick up on the "Service" and "Cleanliness" parts too.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Real mayonaisse is made that day.

From the article:

Imagine, a hot shrimp salad at Burger King.

Where is that green "getting ready to be sick" smilie when you need it? :blink:

And then there's this quote:

The artificial mayo will be replaced with real mayo.

:blink::shock:

We've been eating whaaaaaattt on our Whoppers™?!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

All the major fast food chains have gotten away from the "Quality" of Ray Kroc's "QSC" - quality, service and cleanliness. A big "duh" to BK management for discovering real mayonnaise and fresh sliced onions. Now if they, and even more so McD's, can only pick up on the "Service" and "Cleanliness" parts too.

Speaking of cleanliness, I found this interesting:

Emotions incite strong actions. Blum has ordered spot shutdowns of dirty Burger Kings — such as one last month in Fort Worth. "We'll tolerate nothing less than the highest standards," he says.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What is faux mayo made from?

I'm enjoying their wrapper-sniffing HIYW commercials of late. Of course, as you could tell from my comments on the RB BK thread, I thought they were making an effort to improve quality there as well. More power to them.

Got me. But "Hellman's Real Mayonnaise."

Oh. That.

Well, you know Holly, I don't see why the teenagers with strong arms in the prep area can't be shown how to make mayo at the beginning of the shift. The only hard part is the whisking and it can be done in a blender or processor. Safer and easier than chopping onions.

By the way: What kind of onions does BK or McD's use? Yellow cooking onions or something more palatable?

A big "duh" to BK management for discovering real mayonnaise and fresh sliced onions.

They didn't discover anything. They hired Edgerton, a co-founder of BK, who had to dope-slap it into them. :biggrin:

I distinctly remember that the 70's Whopper was considerably bigger in size also. Back then, even though they were good, I couldn't finish two of them. I could easily eat two of them today--if they didn't taste like crap. The last one I had went into the trash half-finished and I swore off them.

PJ

PS: Artificial mayo = Kraft Miracle Whip. The onions are the clear plastic bag kind.

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Has the whopper been better in Britain than in the USA? On those rare occasions when I've been forced by some combination of hunger, geography and the lateness of the hour to go for a chain burger, I've had the impression that a cheese Whopper had the edge over a quarter-pounder with cheese from McD. Some friends who eat them more often have confirmed this.

But I'm no expert. Do any British eGulleteers have an opinion?

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

In England, the whopper does indeed have the edge over any burger Maccas has. But Maccas has the best fries. But in Oz, the fries are just as good at the BK equivalent Hungry Jacks.

Edited by Niall (log)

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Got me. But "Hellman's Real Mayonnaise."

Oh. That.

Well, you know Holly, I don't see why the teenagers with strong arms in the prep area can't be shown how to make mayo at the beginning of the shift. The only hard part is the whisking and it can be done in a blender or processor. Safer and easier than chopping onions.

By the way: What kind of onions does BK or McD's use? Yellow cooking onions or something more palatable?

I was watching America's test kitchen a few weeks ago and they did a blind tasting of different Mayos. Needless to say when they unveiled the winners it was Hellmans #1 and Light Hellmans #2.

If i was some 15 year old kid and they wanted me to "whip up some fresh mayo" there would definitely be a couple health code violations if you catch my drift....safer from the jar and taste-test approved.

It seems that Burger King is always trying to make itself over. It's constantly changing it's logo. It had that wonderfully abusrd and immensely stupid "Where's Herb" ad campaign (I believe that was rated in the top-3 worst ad campaigns ever). It's constantly changing its menu items to catch up to McDonalds.

But for some reason, it just doesn't work.

Funny, because I find its burger far superior to McD's.

I used to stop by a Burger King drive-thru once a week with my kids when time was of the essence. One time I ordered my usual plain cheeseburger and small onion rings only to get home to find no onion rings (the best part!). I called to let them know I didn't receive my full order and that I would be in the next day to get my money back. They refused to give me my money. They pretty much called me a liar for trying to get the $1.25. So now I am livid. I called and sent a letter to the management company that owned that location. No response. Alright, now a letter to corporate in Florida (this is all on principle, not because I need a dollar). Corporate responded with a nice letter and free coupons that showed they came from the corporate office. When I submitted these coupons to the restaurant the manager wanted to know how I got those coupons. So I told him and showed him the letter. It was greatness I tell you! He felt like an idiot I'm sure.

But I haven't been to a Burger King in at least two years. They have become the filthiest places. Truly disgusting.

Safer and easier than chopping onions.

I can't imagine that any fast food places have actual people chopping onions, much less whipping mayonaisse.

However, I understood from the article that onions would henceforth be freshly chopped. Thus my comment that making real mayo freshly would be safer and easier.

Notwithstanding PoorLawyer's dark drift.

PS: Artificial mayo = Kraft Miracle Whip.

Speaking as someone who grew up eating Miracle Whip (and liking it, gosh darn it), don't get me started.

I prefer the phrase "mayo substitute". :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Missing from the above posts is the observation that BK's "we're returning to our roots" angle is clearly the latest of a number of floundering attempts to rescue a shrivelling brand. They're running scared: closing stores by the score, doing their best to "buy" credibility (ie: Bayless gambit and return of founder), tweaking the menu...All signs of a desperately ill company in decline.

Which is, of course, a good thing.

Our neighborhoods will be better places without their ugly, once-ubiquitous logo.

They can smear "real" mayo on whatever they like. Chop boatloads of fresh onions in their buffalo choppers (then hold them until sour in vast plastic trays). It's still a shit burger (however marginally "better" than Mickey D's). That they are significantly less loved than they used to be is a heartening development.

There's blood in the water.

Today the King.

Tomorrow the Clown.

abourdain

I was watching America's test kitchen a few weeks ago and they did a blind tasting of different Mayos. Needless to say when they unveiled the winners it was Hellmans #1 and Light Hellmans #2.

That's probably because they didn't taste Duke's.

--

I was watching America's test kitchen a few weeks ago and they did a blind tasting of different Mayos.  Needless to say when they unveiled the winners it was Hellmans #1 and Light Hellmans #2.

That's probably because they didn't taste Duke's.

Actually, they did.