• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cape Town Wining & Dining

Hi Doc

I consulted with some friends down south and apologies to One Waterfront - it is supposedly very good, however quite pricey even by Cape Town standards.

Panama Jacks would be a good choice for seafood, however the Blue Danube would be something special.

David Higgs is also at the Meerendal Wine Estate... give him a shout on some places to visit as well.

I look forward to hearing about your gems that you discover

Grant

Morning people should be forced to milk cows!

The Plough Wavendon is where I work

• 3 weeks later...

We returned from Africa a couple of weeks ago, but I've been unable to get online due to hurricane Rita. We are still without power - 13 days and counting.....

We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Savoy Cabbage and another at Panama Jacks the two evenings we were in Capetown. I'd recommend them both. I'll consult my notes at home ( I'm posting from work) and review what we ordered. I do remember at Panama's we had a mixed seafood platter - grilled seafood of all types. It was very nice. More later.

Stop Family Violence

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Doc

I consulted with some friends down south and apologies to One Waterfront - it is supposedly very good, however quite pricey even by Cape Town standards.

Panama Jacks would be a good choice for seafood, however the Blue Danube would be something special.

David Higgs is also at the Meerendal Wine Estate... give him a shout on some places to visit as well.

I look forward to hearing about your gems that you discover

Grant

We had 4 nights in Cape Town. Dinners at Cape Colony and One. Waterfront are documented in their own topics with photos. The third night we ate at Constantia Uitsig. This was perhaps our most ho-hum meal of our entire two week trip. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't anything special and certainly not worth the premium for a ride out from the waterfront. Perhaps La Colome is better. Our last night we had a reservation for Blue Danube. Unfortunately we were so full from an excellent lunch at 96 Winery Road that we cancelled. Instead we had a nondescript light dinner near our hotel.

Wineries visited included Meerlust, Vergelegan and Rust En Vrede, all a lot of fun with excellent wines. All three wineries were beautiful properties, though Vergelegan was particularly stellar. We went to Spier too, though not for the wine or the food. We went to play with the cheetahs. I got to play with 8 cubs. That was fun.

I also stayed at Grootbos, a nature reserve/resort near Walker bay. The food was outstanding. I will get to a separate thread shortly.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...
An earlier post mentioned oude libertas.  Is there dining there?  How far in advance do I need to make reservations at restaurants like one waterfront and petit ferme

The only question here I could answer based on limited experience involves One.Waterfront. If you will be staying there it should be no problem. I would say, though if you know when you wish to dine, I would suggest reserving as far in advance as you know. That would apply to any restaurant.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz