• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Differences of Opinion

I can't help noticing that you both have separate "solo" books on cocktails, etc. in publication. Those of us who have followed your work are familiar with the opinions and philosophies you share. I am curious if the two of you could weigh in on areas in which your approaches to and philosophies about mixology differ. We don't often get two cocktail experts at your level on the boards at the same time. So, rather than only answering questions and offering advice to people like me who don't have the level of expertise and historical knowledge you share, I think it would be very interesting for us if the two of you discussed/debated/expanded upon some of these issues here. I, for one, would love to be a sideliner and occasional participant in a discussion about cocktails and mixology between the two of you.

--

Are you trying to start a fight? :biggrin: Okay, I'll give you my answer, then we'll see if Mardee agrees when she gets to the message board.

I tend to analize classic formulas and base new drinks on same, etc. Mardee thinks outside the box and comes up with things that would never occur to me.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

Gary IS a classicist. I think of the whole thing as pop culture and, therefore, am open to fun and frivolity. Gary's book is a result of his passion; mine is a lighter look, something to use so you don't have to memorize them all.

When we create new cocktails, mine usually come from flavor combinations that appeal to me and I'd like to try--will be working on one this weekend and I just can't wait. Will let you all know if it works.