• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Big Meat Skewers!

ktbear7476

Hello!

My boyfriend just got back from a trip to Atlanta. While he was there he went to dinner at this amazing restaurant where they brought out huge skewers of meat and sliced some off for you right at your table. He said there were all different kinds of meat, it was all you can eat and I think he said he thought it was a Brazilian restaurant.

I told my friend about it, and she swears there is a place like that in Perth Amboy...Does anyone know if there is? If not Perth Amboy, anywhere in the area?

Greenfield Churascaria is located in hackensack in the open mall that has home depot and pathmark located in it on hackensack ave. It is located just south of route 4 and the riverside square park mall. There is (or was, it's been a while since I've been up there)one in the palisades park mall too on the top floor

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

What you're looking for is Rodizio. The Ironbound section of Newark has a few choices: Iberia, Casa Verde, to name a few. The Perth Amboy one your frined is referring to is most likely Seabra's..here's a link to a discussion when a group of PA board members did a raod trip..its very descriptive of the meal! http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry233901 Enjoy!

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Perth Amboy's is Sabrea (sp) Armory. Great place for Rodizio, also terrific in the spring. It sits right on the water across from the southern tip of Staten Island at the beginning of Raritan Bay. They have outdoor dining and the view is great! They give you a 'chip', red on one side and green on the other. While you keep the green side up , they will just keep coming with the skewers. When you give up filp it to red and they stop. That and a pitcher of Sangia, great way to kill an afternoon.

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

I was at Iberia Peninsula on Ferry Street last week...they have two rooms and were serving rodizio in both; someone at our table ordered it and he said it was terrific. All I know is that the food kept coming, and coming...

And fwiw, I don't know any of them specifically, but there are also lots of churascarias in Kearny.

Enjoy!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

:biggrin: Thanks!!

The place my boyfriend went to in Atlanta had cards. Green card for more meat, red for no more!!! LOL

I'll be sure to come back with info afer we go!!

For the record the place in Atlanta is most likely Fogo de Chao. It is a branch of Brazil's most famous steak/house churascerria. I recently ate at their branch in Sao Paulo, which was remarkably similar to their Atlanta restaurant which I have also visited. Rodizio is the name of the actual dish of skewered meats and also the name of the restaurant type. And yes they give you a card with a red and a green side. When green is up they continuously come by your table with meats, turn it over to red to stop the onslaught. In Manhattan, Plataforma on W. 49th St west of 8th Ave. (they have a new downtown location too) does an excellent job - better than others I've had in the ironbound district of Newark - though those were pretty good too - and an amazing value.

And fwiw, I don't know any of them specifically, but there are also lots of churascarias in Kearny.

Enjoy!

There are, but none you'd really want to sit down and eat at. We have a place down the block from us, Brazilian Spices, that delivers.

I like Seabra's Rodizio on MacArtur Highway in the Ironbound section of Newark.

I always thought it was Brazilian.

Brasilia on Ferry St. in Newark is a good example of an authentic Brazilian churrascaria. It's a small place on the second floor, but it's very good.

• 1 month later...

We went to Brasilia on Ferry in Newark again last night and it was the best rodizio I've had in long time. The other meats are OK, but the star of the show is clearly the picanha (top sirloin). Perfectly rare/mr, juicy as hell, and just the right amount of salt. It's worth getting just the picanha rodizio, which is more expensive, but then you're guaranteed to get the outside slices off the skewer (which must be eaten with all the fat on to get the full effect). The room really is nothing to write home about, but the meat is fantastic. They make a good caipirinha as well.

Brasilia

132 Ferry St.

Newark