• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angel Fire in July

My brother decided that our whole family should take advantage of a steal deal on a large cabin in Angel Fire, N.M. the first week in July. That's cool, but my kids and I would like to experience some good local eats while in the area. I will have a rental car. Any recommendations? We are open to almost anything.

Thanks,

Celine

Recommendation # 1: Get out of Angel Fire! :wink:

Really, drive to Taos... pretty drive and some great food over there. Not much to speak of in Angel Fire though. Pretty dismal. Let me know if you'd like Taos recs.

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

Cynthia, I suspected Angel Fire was culinarily dismal when I did a search for something nice to eat and nothing surfaced. :shock:

The family I was born in to is the greatest in the world, but food does not drive them. I'm a complete oddball to them. They will undoubtedly heckle me for driving to Taos *just to eat*, but hell, it's my vacation too. Please advise.

Thanks,

Celine

Celine,

We try to schedule our trips to Taos so we can hit Michael's Kitchen (Paseo del Pueblo Norte) for a late breakfast or late lunch. Great food, lots of variety, not too expensive. Terrific pastries. Well, they were the last time I could eat them which is a couple years now. Very kid-friendly place.

How old are your children?

Other places that have been great, but I haven't been in a while are: Orlando's; Dragonfly.

Places that get raves from friends but to which I've never been are: Momentitos de la Vida; El Monte Sagrado, a very high-end place in the new resort out on Kit Carson Road; the new Joseph's Table (La Fonda Hotel on the Plaza).

Unfortunately Zen Ranch seems to have closed, but they were outstanding! :sad:

Something my kids love to do there is hit the Taos Drum Company south of town a few miles. Great drums and lots of other cool stuff. Touching allowed.

~ Cynthia

"Portion control" implies you are actually going to have portions! ~ Susan G

I ended up at Antonio's one night by accident and it turned out to be one of the best meals I'd had in months. So good; don't miss it. Also, killer margaritas.

Check out their dinner menu here

or their lunch menu, which is child-friendly,

here.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

• 2 weeks later...