• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great tuile recipe...( Frederic Bau's)

tan319

I made the Bau recipe for his chocolate tuile, which is a kind of very thin, lacy affair.

It involves

Sugar (gran)

Apple Pectin

Butter

Unsweetened chocolate (cocoa paste)

Cocoa

glucose

water

Basically, you melt the butter with the glucose and the cocoa paste.

Then add the water and stir for no lumps. Then add the sugar, pectin and cocoa, which have been sifted together, and stir until you get a kind of Bechamel texture.

Cool it .

I spread it over a Silpat and baked it off at about 330-50 and it reacted awesomely, very,very thin, almost see through, which I loved.

The only drawback was that it was a bit greasy, which I thought might have come from me not emulsifying the mix properly.

I ended up laying them on paper towels and everything worked out.

I just want to make them less greasy, unless that's the way it's supposed to be.

Maybe it's just when they come out of the oven the sweat a bit.

I've seen other, less delicate, lacy type of tuiles do similar things.

It's a great looking 'cookie, though.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

2317/5000

A bit of advice to waiters or support staff reading this thread on tuiles. Never refer to tuiles as toulies (with a manner like your referring to transvestites) - your chef will not appreciate it - cause in all cases were not expected to know shit - we're just serving it.

Thanks, Nicole.

I noticed the grease when I was taking them off the silpat.

I wiped the bottoms (?) of them and then placed on paper toweling and they seemed ok enough to use.

I'm going to try again today and try a longer cook time too.

I might make another batch and really burr mix it also.

2317/5000

The fat seems to seperate with nothing binding it. All the varieties I've tried have the same result. But once stored, they seem to hold up well.

That's what I' found out today, Tim.

The tuiles were in great shape, not greasy at all.

Awesome!

2317/5000

We made a very similar recipe in school and all the students remarked about the greasyness when they were done, but after sitting for a few hours or overnight, they were fine.

We used shards of chocolate tuiles with sliced almonds to top chocolate tarts, and plain rounds with pecans as a layer in a mousse cake. They are a nice way of introducing a crunchy component to many desserts and the pectin helps keep them crisp, even in the middle of a cake, and even freezing and defrosting. Sort of like a built-in dessicant.

As I've disclosed before I have limited access to specialty ingredients.........so I'm very interested in something Neil just highlighted. I'd love to know more about apple pectin and how it works and influences results, anyone? And how is apple pectin different then other pectins?

I wouldn't be able to tell you what the difference is, Wendy, Neil would be better equipped for that (as well as Michael or Steve.)

I'm looking at Balaguer and he just says it has a good absorption capacity.

I use it for thickening sauces at times, gives a nice shine and a nice viscosity.

If you want to PM me your address at work or home, I'll send you some of my Pastry 1 apple pectin so you can play around with some recipes.

2317/5000

I know there are several types of pectin that have different properties depending on how you want to use them. Some require more sugar and acid in order to jell properly, and some melt easily when heated while others resist re-melting. I wish I knew more on the subject, but I believe apple pectin is the type that does not re-melt when heated after it has set. We pretty much used it as our standard pectin in class, including for pate de fruit, which may be why the pate we made was so stable and never wept.

If anyone cares for a little light reading:

Diverse textures from different pectins

I'm not scientific enough to paraphrase, so I'll leave the interpretation to you. :biggrin:

Ted, have you ever tried the Grue tuile recipe from Fauchon? My stuff's all packed away so I can't get at my notes, but it rocks. It might be in Herme's patisserie book. I think he uses it on a chocolate-raspbery tart. It's very similar to what you've described. You'll be happy with it.

Tim

Edited by tchorst (log)

Timothy C. Horst

www.pastrypros.com

That was some breezy reading there, Tim :laugh::laugh: Thanks for posting it.

I haven't tried the Fauchon tuile, but would love to.

If you dig up the recipe I'm all ears.

BTW, I made the plain Bau tuile mix yesterday, and baked it off today.

Not real forgiving, that one.

Came out crappy.

Not sure why.

I used Plugra in it, maybe that's why?

Too much fat?

I baked it off a couple of times, in a couple of different ways.

Greasy and not right.

Back to the drawing board, using regular butter, for a start.

2317/5000

I confess that I've been using a couple of those Bau recipes, or at least adaptations of them for years (Ted, for the 'plain' one, I eventually decided to add a small amount of all purpose flour. I also thought that pectin NH did a little better at binding the mixture). I take the greasiness as a matter of fact, and even have silpats that I now reserve just for them. The drawback to storing them for long periods is that the fat congeals and gives the tuile a dull appearance. But then I realized that quickly hitting them with a blowtorch brings them back to a shiny new life.

My favorite thing about these is the pulled or stretched effect you can achieve while still warm...

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Yeah, there's a lot of fat in this--butter plus the cocoa powder has fat, more than you might think, and so does unsweetened chocolate.

Herme has both a nice grue nougatine tuile and a cocoa powder/almond powder nougatine tuile in Patisserie. His base is 100g milk, 250g butter, 100g glucose, 300g sugar, 5g pectin.

I like the crunch of nibs/grue in tuiles, in general, because the cocoa butter doesn't seem to melt out as much. Here's an old recipe of mine which gets very thin and crunchy:

http://204.57.86.137/new//recipes/recipe_a...late_tuile.html

We've also mentioned this before, but as Michael hinted at, the Bau book has been very influential on serious pastry chefs in the US--when it came out in 98 (I think) you just knew it was being bought by everyone French or French-leaning in NYC because that book's influence was being seen all around town. It was the next worthwhile pastry book to arrive on the scene after the Herme Patisserie book and it is still an essential reference. No American pastry chef has come close to achieving in print what Bau does in "Au Coeur des Saveurs." It was the first--and remains the best--book in English to attempt to discuss chocolate, bon bons and confectionery seriously.

The other excellent book which arrived at about the same time--which remains widely-emulated and just as essential--was the Brunstein petits fours book. There are some excellent tuile and macaron recipes to be found here as well.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thank you, Michael and Steve for the info and Steve, thanks for the recipe!

I'll be trying that out.

The chocolate tuile ended up ok, the plain one was the one I was kind of bummed with.

Michael, I noticed that streched thing too yesterday. You can get them to look like those Balaguer

caramel tuiles.

Thanks for the blowtorch 'tip'! :biggrin:

I'll have to look for the Brunstein book.

It's funny that we're talking about cocoa nibs, I just got a pail of them on monday.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

hey Ted,

Try this----

300g. sugar

5g pectin NH

250g butter (unsalted of course)

100g glucose

100g milk

300g nibs

Mix the first sugar and pectin well, heat the butter, glucose, milk and grue, whisk in the sugar/pectin and cook to 106 degrees/c. Stir all the time cuz it burns quickly.

Let it set up in the fridge. It gets pretty stiff, so let it stand at room for a bit. I've tried various methods of cooking. They suggest rolling between silpats, freezing then cutting circles and cooking.

I usually just roll balls and let them cook down. It actually works well :laugh: .

I second the brunstein book. JB prince has it. Plasir de Petits Fours.

edited for my bad spelling.

Edited by tchorst (log)

Timothy C. Horst

www.pastrypros.com

Thanks, Tim!

I tried to order pectin NH today, nobody I deal with carrys it, drag....

I'm going to have to mail order some.

I made another run at the plain bau tuile today, I added a bit of APF, per Michaels suggestion.

It's setting up in the walk in, I'll take another whack at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the recipe.

BTW, what is the diff between the apple pectin and the pectin NH?

I've seen the NH mentioned in those neutral-ish glazes in 'Au Couer...' but?

Thanks in advance!

2317/5000

• 2 years later...

I was checking out my Oriol Balaguer 'Dessert Cuisine" book the other day and stumbled across what I THINK may cure some of the greasiness factor.

When he makes his variation of (appearance wise at least) he cools the wet mix to room temp then adds the flour.

Worth a try, no?

Anyone else tried this yet?

Thanks

I confess that I've been using a couple of those Bau recipes, or at least adaptations of them for years (Ted, for the 'plain' one, I eventually decided to add a small amount of all purpose flour. I also thought that pectin NH did a little better at binding the mixture). I take the greasiness as a matter of fact, and even have silpats that I now reserve just for them. The drawback to storing them for long periods is that the fat congeals and gives the tuile a dull appearance. But then I realized that quickly hitting them with a blowtorch brings them back to a shiny new life.

My favorite thing about these is the pulled or stretched effect you can achieve while still warm...

2317/5000

Hmm the greasiness never bothered me. Like everyone else noted, they tend to be fine the day after baking.

Interesting side note on the pectin; I had a stagier leave it out of the recipe, and they were still useable. The texture was the same, they were just more frail and had to be handled more carefully. So I think the pectin is really only acting as a binder or stabilizer and not impacting the texture or crunch too much.

God bless the blowtorch. I blowtorch a whole lot of things to make em look shinier ala minute.

Whats your plain tuile recipe, Ted? Is it a glucose and butter based one like the chocolate, or a 10x based one like more traditional tuiles?

I have a pretty sucessful recipe for plain glucose/butter tuiles (they wind up more "caramel-y" than "plain") if you want it.

400 g glucose

400 ml cream

200 g butter

400 g sugar

120 g pectin

200 g chopped nuts (optional)

The non-chocolate ones require more pectin in my experience because they don't have the cocoa powder providing the dry mass, which also stabilizes the mix.

This recipe also works well with the addition of some extracts (nut ones, not fruit or citrus ones), if say, you wanted an almond tuile and just chopped almond just wasn't getting it almond-y enough.

Edited by Sethro (log)

I usually do the 10x ones even though 90% of the year in the SW the climate is perfect for the others.

In NM "swamp coolers (evaporated air conditioning) screws all sugar stuff up, as bad if not worse then a tropical climate.

RE: Pectin tuiles.

Thanks for the recipe.

Even the Conticini tuiles freak out and grease up.

I'm going to try the Balaguer method.

2317/5000