• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Challenges and Trends

Hello Gary and Mardee. Welcome to eG! :cool:

I've tended for some time now and I find that it never ceases to amaze -- to say the least.

On to challenges: I approach each shift as throwing a party and make the goal to make a new friend, which kinda sounds (or reads) silly as I type this!

Anyway, I've found this approach is difficult for some of the newer tenders coming into the current restaurant/bar job market, among many other challenges, i.e., dedication and a disclipline to knowing/understanding the classics, proper method(s) and deciphering cocktail myth from cocktail fact. (Of course this varies due to the type of venue within which they work).

Within your well seasoned experiences and travels, what challenges or trends do you see with the one(s) behind the mahogany? What trends do you see as exciting?

Thank you!

edit to add: p.s. I *love* the photo of Sylvia and her cat Mavis. Aren't pets wonderful?

Edited by beans (log)

I think that the challenges of tending bar are just about the same now as they've always been, and few people are cut out to do the job properly.

Bartenders have to wear so many hats, and mixing drinks is but a small part of the job. I could rant about this for hours, but instead, let me give everyone something to mull on:

In order for a bartender do be good at his or her job, he/she must first command the respect of the customers.

Once that's achieved it has a snowball effect: The customers respect the bartender, so the bartender jumps through hoops to please the patrons. Bear in mind, though, it's up to the bartender to make the first move.

P.S. Mavis and Sylvia are sleeping next to each other right now, and Judy's trying to get close, too! Yes, pets are marvelous.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.