• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYTimes Whiskey Article

beans

I'm a bit behind on my Times reading... But this March 17, 2004, article is still available for reading, with free registration.

It is well written and informative on the subject of Jack Daniels and American Rye. Bourbon is briefly covered as well.

I learned of the "Lincoln County Process," and of Monongahela or Potomac/Maryland style of rye.

Excellent article. :cool:

Now if I can only get Don MacLean's American Pie out of my head!

Cheers!

I have a lovely recipe for pork tenderloin with an apple cider and JD marinade and sauce. But elsewise, I've just grinned and beared it each time my former boss pulled me aside for a wee treat of drinking a shot of JD with her. (her favourite spirit of choice). Sometimes that still gives me tingles thinking about that warm, burning feeling. But she and I had much fun and many laughs during those summers on the island. Had to admire a woman that enjoyed Jack, straight up, neat with a bottled water on the side. :biggrin:

I haven't had the pleasure of Dickel myself because I don't think I could muster up the courage to try it. :raz:

Woodford Reserve? Surely! Give me a spirit with distinct vanilla notes and I'm all over it.