• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Broiled Lobster in NYC

markk

Does anybody have recommendatons for where to enjoy broiled (or broiled and stuffed) lobster in New York City? Not Chinese, please, but plain old lobsters - traditional broiled, baked, stuffed with crabmeat or anything similar? Thanks.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I like such specific questions. Markk, are you just craving a simple lobster dish or do you have another intention?

A few weeks ago, I had broiled lobster, served with corn on the cob, at Blue Ribbon Bakery. It was good, but far from great. When I want to satisfy a craving for lobster I usually go for a lobster roll, though I know that's very different from what you're looking for.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

El Quijote in Chelsea is pretty good. They will make the lobster in any manner you desire. I've been there a few times over the years for family gatherings. 23rd between 7th and 8th in the Chelsea Hotel.

I've never been to El Quijote, but i enjoy Francisco's Centro Vasco across the street. I'm a fan of the zarzuela, and everytime i've gone, a dinner companion will order lobster, and they always love it, broiled or steamed.

... are you just craving a simple lobster dish or do you have another intention...

I was just craving a simple, but large, and expertly broiled lobster. I'm really craving one that's stuffed with real, old-fashioned crabmeat stuffing, like they used to make in the good old days, but short of that, a great broiled Lobster.

I had a broiled, stuffed one in the Ironbound section of Newark the other night, but it wasn't great by any means. The stuffing did have large chunks of real crab, but also clams and other stuff, and it wasn't the trip down memory lane that I was envisioning.

I've been told to go to Spark's or The Palm, so I'm wondering if anybody has any lobster experiences there...

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

The Palm has good lobsters and big sizes too. I don't know if they offer it stuffed though and they are pricey. I will also second Centro Vasco on 23rd St. , I think the last time I was there someone in our party had a stuffed lobster.

I felt like the same thing on saturday night for dinner. I ordered from this place called cold waters. For 24 bucks they sent me two steamed 1 1/4 lobsters with a salad, and a potato. They also had one pound and a quarter for 15.95 And for 28.95 they had a 2 pounder. And then there were combos on the menu where they would give you crab claws and a lobster , or they had stuffed lobsters. All and all it was a enjoyable.

The palm has great lobsters, min order is 3 lbs and its 20 bucks a pound. Except on your bday :biggrin:

I went to the Palm this summer and had a five pound lobster--they were running some kind of special on it. It was broiled. It was ok--but definetly over cooked.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

You might also try Lundy's. I've only been to the Sheepshead Bay location (right on the water - on a nice day, you can walk along the harbor, watch the ducks/swans, examine the catch o' the day from the day fishing boats. I'm pretty sure they do lobster the "old-fashioned" way. The other location is in Times Square.

As a Maine-native, I can say that I have yet to find a quality, traditional baked-stuffed lobster (w/crabmeat, or lobster, and Ritz-cracker stuffing) in the city (an unfortunate omission). If someone finds one, I would LOVE to know about it.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

This Maine native also would like to point out that when it comes to lobster, bigger isn't usually better, the best meat in my opinion comes from a 1 1/2 to 2 lb. lobster

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken