• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic in New York

Jonnie

Hi

I am planning a trip to New York, end of april, and I would like to get tips about organic stores or markets that can have intrest for me. I am an wholesaler/importer of organic fruit &vegetables in Sweden.

My plan was to take a look at the Healty Pleasures stores but I have heard that they are out of buisiness?? Come with suggestions to a first time visitor.

regards Jonnie Landén Helsingborg Sweden. :smile:

Edited by Jonnie (log)

Hi:

I'm glad to see that this message is also posted in the New Jersey section. We have great organic resources here.

My own favorite store is the Whole Earth Center on Route 27 in Princeton. It's a non-profit with a remarkable selection. (Please! do NOT confuse this place with the chain stores!!!)

New Jersey also has many certified organic farms but you'll have to wait a few more months before you can buy any local produce.

Best of luck in your trip and please don't hesitate to contact me for more information.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Hi

I am planning a trip to New York, end of april, and I would like to get tips about organic stores or markets that can have intrest for me. I am an wholesaler/importer of organic fruit &vegetables in Sweden.

My plan was to take a look at the Healty Pleasures stores but I have heard that they are out of buisiness?? Come with suggestions to a first time visitor.

regards Jonnie Landén Helsingborg Sweden. :smile:

Welcome to eG and NY Jonnie! It seems to me that the Whole Foods revolution is taking over NYC.

Don't forget the Greenmarkets, especially Union Square on Saturdaays.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the tips

Is there any fruit market in New York where wholesalers meet?

I think that would be Hunt's Point in the Bronx, but I don't know if organic stuff passes through there.

The Healthy Pleasures stores still exist, but under new management and with a new name. However, there had been some bad (though unproven) rumors about that place (repackaging non-organic foodstuffs as organic, writeups from the department of health); perhaps under the new management these problems have been fixed. If you do end up in Jersey, you really ought to go to Whole Earth, which, as Mr. Yarvin says, is a wonderful independent health food store that in recent years has had to deal with competition from chains like Wild Oats and Wegman's, which have their place but are ultimately inferior to the selection and service of Whole Earth.