• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Very Red Head looking for Job and Salad

Fyre

I was turned down by TGI Friday's once.. Yes, the place that made their waitstaff dress like clowns told me my hair was not a natural color and unacceptable. Ha. That was funny.  I really, really did not want to work there and it was only a good thing cuz I would have hated it.  I've had my fill of working in corporate/chain restaurants.

How odd. I am the first girl I know to have had purple hair....while I worked at TGIF in San Diego and Torrance. Not stained-glass purple, but eggplant-colored. I also had Lois Lane comic book blue-black hair. Nobody ever said anything to me about it. I was on the Traveling Team, even. (This was in the Eighties.)

It was also California. I believe you can get away with a lot more in the bizarre department on the West Coast than you can on the East... (just my opinion, having lived here on the West with a variety of hair colors!)

My favorite salad bar is in Clifton on Crooks Ave. Its called Baskingers. Everything is fresh every day and the selections always change. Cold $3.99/lb, hot $4.49/lb. They also have a good bakery, hero sandwiches, italian hot dogs, and tables to sit outside on a nice day.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I just satrted working in the city, and now I know what "redhead" was talking about. It is mostly a take out place, but some have tables. You choose your greens, and then the person behind the counter customizes your salad with your choice of items. It's a step up from a regular salad bar, in that it provides more of a choice.

Sorry Red, nothing like this on this side of the Hudson.

Sorry Red, nothing like this on this side of the Hudson.

Sure there are..in the Princeton area there are Saladworks! springing up everywhere..same concept. I just didn't respond because its not the NO Jersey area she was requesting. Theyr are VERY popular..a newer one in East Windsor had a LOOONNNGGGG line on Monday.

I just satrted working in the city, and now I know what "redhead" was talking about. It is mostly a take out place, but some have tables. You choose your greens, and then the person behind the counter customizes your salad with your choice of items. It's a step up from a regular salad bar, in that it provides more of a choice.

Yep, that is the kind of place. The greens are varietal, the salad ingredients are all nicely chopped and there is quite a variety. Wish there was something like that around me. :( Maybe this Saladworks will pop up around here. I was saying that a place like that would be a goldmine and wish I had the means to create a place like that. I am not a fan of Panera, but for what that place is, it's not cheap and it's usually pretty busy.