• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for an Argentinian Dinner

I am looking for suggestions for dishes that are considered "Argentinian". It is for a private dining event for about 80 people. I want to take these dishes and convert them into appetizers and passed hors d'oeuvres for the reception. Your input would be appreciated. :cool:

Patrick Sheerin

empanadas, of any flavour...

torta pascualina - a shortcrust pastry filled with spinach and egg

milanesas - breaded cutlets or thin steaks

matambre - rolled beef with various fillings

chorizos, plain or in bread

chivito - baby goat, plain or in bread

pizza

faina - chick pea flour "pizza"

morcillas - the sweetbreads mentioned above

I'll think of more, I'm sure...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

some more...

croquettes, meat, potato, rice

niños envueltos - literally, wrapped children, thin steaks with veges, rolled, tied and cooked in tomato sauce, then sliced

and in keeping with the theme, if you like, morcillas, mollejas, mondongo, any and all blood and guts products are widely eaten, tongue, kidneys, liver,

for dessert?

alfajores - shortbread filled with dulce de leche

arroz con leche - rice pudding

flan

dulce de zapallo - candied pumpkin

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 3 months later...
empanadas, of any flavour...

torta pascualina - a shortcrust pastry filled with spinach and egg

milanesas - breaded cutlets or thin steaks

matambre - rolled beef with various fillings

chorizos, plain or in bread

chivito - baby goat, plain or in bread

pizza

faina - chick pea flour "pizza"

morcillas - the sweetbreads mentioned above

I'll think of more, I'm sure...

As a newcomer to B.A., I would like to know which restaurant serves Faina', and Torta Pasqualina?

:huh: .Thanks.

maremosso,

Fainá you can get anywhere they sell pizza... they make it in the same ovens

Torta pascualina, try any cafe or restaurant, usually it's served as a starter -

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

As a newcomer to B.A., I would like to know which restaurant serves Faina', and Torta Pasqualina?

:huh: .Thanks.

Where in Bs As are you now living in ? Each Barrios/neighborhood has a bunch of places that serve most of what its residents need. Ask your local parilla (sp?)

anil

• 1 month later...

:wink:

In Martinez.

Sorry for not checking back earlier. Had time to look around since my enquiry. Well, I have come to the conclusion that there is no such a thing as "Argentinian Cuisine".

All the items listed above sound mostly Italian to me!

Yes!

Have you also noticed the amount of restuarants that serve ravioles, canelones, tallarines, with tuco (sauce) ?? - HUGE Italian ancestry in Argentina, take a look at some of the footballer's names :wink:

Polenta is also a big item...

:wink:

In Martinez.

Sorry for not checking back earlier. Had time to look around since my enquiry. Well, I have come to the conclusion that there is no such a thing as "Argentinian Cuisine".

All the items listed above sound mostly Italian to me!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~