• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleveland Park Vacancy

I was walking to meet friends at the Park Bench Pub last night for some March Madness action when I noticed "holy cow, Pizzeria Uno closed. How awesome!"

Of course, it hit me a second later that the space could just as easily be taken over by an Applebee's or TGIFriday's, but I immediately started thinking about what wonderful new place might move in.

There are For Lease signs in the window right now, but if any of you hear anything about the future tenant...do share.

I also noticed several weeks ago that Cleveland Park is going to get a Coldstone Creamery, on the same block as Indique.

Has anyone had their ice cream?

The neighbourhood could use another ice cream place, just in time for summer? Oh, how I still miss the Uptown Scoop.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

I also noticed several weeks ago that Cleveland Park is going to get a Coldstone Creamery

I hope that it's as good as the ice cream shop that was there a few years ago. It was great to sit at the tables outside on a hot summer night and enjoy an ice cream.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Not really in the same area, but in my hood (Woodley Park), the old Washington Park Gourmet on Calvert by the Omni Shoreham is going to be opening up this summer as a new Tryst.

Tryst in my opinion is the best coffee house in DC (which in case you are not familiar is on 18th in Adams Morgan)and I am so freaking excited that there is going to be one in my backyard!

Jennifer

First the McD's down the street closes, now Uno's and blockbuster? Could it really be the end of the chain gang's take over of Conn. Ave?

Edited to add: Yes, CT is a chain, but a local one with still good intentions, so in my book it doesn't count!

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Speaking of new(ish) places, has any one been to that more upscaley looking bar next to Yanni's greek restaurant in Cleveland Park? I walked past it last weekend on my way to Sorriso (the new Italian place), and thought I don't remember seeing that before.

By the way Sorriso served a terrible tuna carpaccio with arugula salad, the arugula was yummy, but the slices of tuna were half frozen, literally ice crystals. The capers were good though.

By the way Sorriso served a terrible tuna carpaccio with arugula salad, the arugula was yummy, but the slices of tuna were half frozen, literally ice crystals.

That's very unfortunate. They have excellent pizzas (you gotta love a place where have to eat a pizza with a knife and fork), but I haven't ventured into any of their other entrees yet. Perhaps I'll try one this Saturday when I'm out there.

My favorite restaurant in CP is Ardeo (with Indique coming in a close second). Of course, you can't go wrong with Lavandou, Yanyu, or Spices.

(Sitting for lamb chops)

Lamb: Ple-e-e-se Li-i-i-sa I thought you lo-o-o-oved me, lo-o-o-oved me

Marge: Whats Wrong Lisa? Cant get enough lamb chops?

Lisa: I can't eat this, I can't eat a poor little lamb.

Homer: Lisa get a hold yourself, that is lamb, not A lamb.

Actually I find them not cutting the pizza to be a bit annoying, since they don't give you a knife that is anywhere close to being sharp! More often then not I end up hacking away at the pizza trying to cut a slice.

I also tried their spaghetti carbanara, which was mediocre at best. I'd stick with the pizza.

that schmancy bar next to yannis - is still in fact yannis. when that strip of stores was being renovated, yannis expanded and now has a more appealing looking bar. i haven't been so i can't comment on the quality of the drinks, but it does look nice from the outside.

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

Actually I find them not cutting the pizza to be a bit annoying, since they don't give you a knife that is anywhere close to being sharp! More often then not I end up hacking away at the pizza trying to cut a slice.

I also tried their spaghetti carbanara, which was mediocre at best. I'd stick with the pizza.

Ditto. But in my experience, if you ask them to cut it (either when you order or when it arrives), they are more than happy to do so.

I am a little bored with the pizza proliferation, quite frankly. I think DC has enough options and variations now, thankyouverymuch.

2Amys

Ella's

Matchbox

Pizza Paradiso

Sorriso

Sette

etc.

etc.

etc.

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...good tip, next time I am there I will definitely ask them to cut the pizza for me.

My issue for pizza in DC is there are still no really good mom and pop corner store pizza places, where one can stop in for a slice and soda for a couple bucks, ala New York City or Philly or heck even Albany, NY. There's maybe a couple here or there, but certainly not downtown or on the Hill.

I also noticed several weeks ago that Cleveland Park is going to get a Coldstone Creamery, on the same block as Indique.

Has anyone had their ice cream?

There's a thread here.

I tend to agree with the poster who opined, "Eh." I'd add, "Overpriced." (Not that the CC in my city cares all that much about my opinion -- they're doing a landslide business, situated next to a multi-screen movie theater that allows CC products to be brought in.)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer