• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stickey's BBQ (Teaneck) CLOSED

Jason Perlow

As schmooty said, the ribs at Stickey's are inconsistant. We got a couple of racks of pork ribs, and one rack was pretty good while the other was overcooked, tiny and hard as a rock. In fact I couldn't even bite through one of the pork ribs it was so hard--we're talking beyond rubbery.

If we hadn't ordered the ultimate combo and had so much food b/w the four of us, we probably would have complained or asked for a different rack.

Has anybody tried any of the other BBQ food besides ribs now that Fink is in the kitchen?

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Is Fink in the kitchen? I thought he was just partnered to do catering.

I may be completely mistaken. I thought he was doing more than just catering. We'd wanted to have some Fink's Funky for our Superbowl party last year.

Hopefully this year he'll be of better health and we'll get some solid BBQ for the anual Superbowl festivities!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

• 2 months later...

By the way, this is the restaurant that replaced Fink's in River Edge.

The line under Shogun Wok II may be too small to read, but it says:

"Salubrious Chinese & Japanese Cuisine."

I've heard that the locals don't call it Shogun or Shogun Wok. They call it "Salubrious."

gallery_32728_1863_2124.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wanted to let everyone know that Stickey's is doing Smoked Fresh Hams and BBQ Smoked Turkeys for pickup on Thanksgiving Day.

The Hams, which are going to be about 20lbs in weight, are going for $120.00 ($6 per lb). Smaller "Picnic" hams made from Pork Butt can also be purchased.

As Dave Finkelstein (Fink) himself is going to be doing those, they should be really good. You should call today or tomorrow however to reserve your ham or turkey.

BTW, for those of you who haven't been back in a while, there are a number of new items on the menu, courtesy of Fink, who is now working full time and adding his distinctive touch to the kitchen. The Pork Stew is outstanding, as are the Hush Puppies, which are the genuine item.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Wanted to let everyone know that Stickey's is doing Smoked Fresh Hams and BBQ Smoked Turkeys for pickup on Thanksgiving Day.

The Hams, which are going to be about 20lbs in weight, are going for $120.00 ($6 per lb). Smaller "Picnic" hams made from Pork Butt can also be purchased.

As Dave Finkelstein (Fink) himself is going to be doing those, they should be really good. You should call today or tomorrow however to reserve your ham or turkey.

BTW, for those of you who haven't been back in a while, there are a number of new items on the menu, courtesy of Fink, who is now working full time and adding his distinctive touch to the kitchen. The Pork Stew is outstanding, as are the Hush Puppies, which are the genuine item.

Hi Jason! Please don't kill me but could we have an update with any website info for Stickey's, hours or anything else you know or suggest to order! - pretty please with kosher salt on top? Thanks! Your avid reader (and poster) - ME! :laugh:

I have it listed as:

Stickey's

1515 Teaneck Road

Teaneck NJ 07666

(201)833-0202

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I don't have a website for Stickey's yet but I beleive they are working on one.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Please don't kill me but could we have an update with ... you know or suggest to order! - pretty please with kosher salt on top?

Things I like at Stickey's:

• Pork Ribs
    Pulled Pork (as a Pile High with Coleslaw)
    Mac & Cheese
    Mashed Potatoes
    Mashed Sweet Potatoes**
    Greens*
    Pork Stew/Soup**
    Beef Ribs
    Hush Puppies** (ask for Honey Garlic sauce)

The pulled chicken is an OK alternative to the pulled pork, if you really don't want pork, but it's all white meat and the pork is just so much better. The beef brisket is, to me, much more of a smoked roast beef. Fink called it "pit beef." I prefer a real, juicier, brisket. But it is OK if you want a BBQ roast beef sandwich. Actually, a good way to try all three is to order the Po'Boy Sampler, which is a smaller version of each sandwich on one platter (with fries). That and a soup each would be enough to share for two people.

Speaking of sharing. They have a Tuesday all you can eat rib special. This is great if you want to eat lots of ribs. It costs $19.95, sides extra. However, on the menu at all times is the Ultimate Combo ($39.95). In it you get three whole orders of meat and four sides. This will feed 4-6 people easily, especially if you order an extra side or two and/or soup and a dessert or two to share. If you haven't yet established your favorites, like a variety on the table, or are going with newbies, I suggest your order consist of 1 whole rack pork ribs (ask them to cut the ribs individually), 1 whole rack beef ribs, 1/2 order pulled pork, 1/2 BBQ chicken or pulled chicken.

*They now also have Stewed Green Beans, which I haven't had yet, but they're Fink's recipe, so I'm sure they're good.

**Fink addition to menu.

• 2 weeks later...

Alanand I checked out Stickey's for the first time today for lunch with another friend. Fink was in the kitchen and gave us the rundown. He will be there for lunchtimes.

Between the three of us we had the

Pulled Pork

Pork Ribs

Beef Rib

Baked beans

Coleslaw

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

and our sauces were

Honey Garlic

Raspberry

the regular BBQ sauce

We were completely unimpressed with the pulled pork which was quite dry. Alan's and Fink's are just lightyears better. The pork ribs were good not particularly thick, not particularly outstanding. Perhaps a tad oversauced but I like them drier so my own personal preference. The beef rib recommended by Fink was the best thing there; a gigantic slab of beef. He got us an extra big end cut. Quite juicy and tasty. Worth the trip and that's why you should go here. The mashed potatoes were also quite nice. Tried a taste of the mac and cheese -seemed vinegary and didn't thrill me.

Honey Garlic sauce was interesting, festooned with a ton of garlic. Regular BBQ sauce was also nice. Both were perhaps too sweet. Raspberry sauce did not grab me at all; take a pass on that.

On the whole, their stuff seems to me to be excessively sugary but of the stuff that we tried, the beef ribs and potatoes might tempt us back. And Fink and trying some of his stuff....

Edited by dumpling (log)

Just called (we plan to go for the first time tonight) and their website is:

http://www.stickeysbbq.com

The girl that answered the phone said some links may not be working, because it is still a work in progress. However, I checked it, and it seems to be working fine. They have a PDF of the menu, which is more up to date (with prices, etc) than the link in the first posting (perhaps Jason could remove his posting of the menu, and put up the real one... prices are a bit higher now, too)

Edited by SueWho321 (log)

Awww, thats cool the website is up & running.

I actually referred Tammy to a web hosting company running by a good friend of mine, the time I went to Stickey's for chow. He loved working with her on their site, so I'm glad its finally done :)

• 2 weeks later...

Stickey's is now doing Southern style breakfast. And it is yummy good.

gallery_2_4_63489.jpg

gallery_2_4_23149.jpg

I'm not sure why I photographed this, for a minute I thought they were serving us milk in baby bottles.

gallery_2_4_41137.jpg

Rachel got fried eggs with beef hash, which is made from the leftover meat from the beef ribs. Excellent.

gallery_2_4_49457.jpg

The Piece de Resistance is without a doubt Dave Finkelstein's sour cream drop biscuits and sausage gravy, which some of you might remember from his old restaurant. Its absolutely MANDATORY that you order this. You can also get the biscuits as sandwiches with eggs and your choice of meat.

If you are brave there is also the "Larry" sandwich, which has eggs plus bacon, ham, sausage, taylor ham and then hash browns on top.

gallery_2_4_68726.jpg

This is the Texas Slop omelette, which tastes much better than it sounds -- an omelette is stuffed with chili, onions, jalapenos and cheese, with sour cream on top. You can also order this combination as regular fried eggs, as "Huevos Incognitos"

In addition to the special items above they have the standard breakfast fare, plus grits, and Texas Toast, which is a thick sliced French Toast.

• 3 weeks later...

Alan and I went to Stickey's today for lunch and scarfed down some beef ribs. MMM ! Good stuff. Juicy meat, nice crispy tasty ends; just the way a beef rib should be.

We each got the half rack lunch combo which included two sides each for $10.95. So we had the mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, baked beans and collard greens. The sides were all nice, the baked beans uniquely tangy.

Nice to spend some time chatting with Fink; he seems to be doing well. He gave us some fried bananas to test out.

Looks like from Jason's pictures, we are going to have to try to get to the breakfast.

Both good and bad news.

Apparently, due to failed lease renegotiations with the owner of the lot, Stickey's in Teaneck had its last service last night.

The good news is, within two months, they will be re-opening just across the NY State border on Rt 303 in Blauvelt, near the Palisades Center Mall. They will be taking over the food service aspects of an existing bar, so there will be BEER! Dave Finkelstein will also be taking on a more direct role with the BBQ as well.

Thanks to Stickeys for being such great friends to the site, and we look forward to your speedy return!

I have been a patron of Fink's and of Stickey's, and I was just telling my wife that I would order from Stickey's tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for the heads-up. I never would have thought to call ahead.

That's a shame. Does anybody know more about what happened? Somebody said a lease negotiation. This can only mean the lease was up and the landlord wanted more money, right? Does a town ever intervene in something like this? You know, for the common good of the community?

~ Ken P.

Edited by Kape (log)

Both good and bad news.

Apparently, due to failed lease renegotiations with the owner of the lot, Stickey's in Teaneck had its last service last night.

The good news is, within two months, they will be re-opening just across the NY State border on Rt 303 in Blauvelt, near the Palisades Center Mall. They will be taking over the food service aspects of an existing bar, so there will be BEER! Dave Finkelstein will also be taking on a more direct role with the BBQ as well.

Thanks to Stickeys for being such great friends to the site, and we look forward to your speedy return!

Any insight as to which existing bar on Rt 303?

I'm happy there'll be another good restaurant close to here. Yay! Just sorry for you Teaneck area folks...

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

It's probably a wash for me in regards to travel so I'll definitely make it up there. Now that they're serving beer one can always hope that they will carry Clipper City's Uber Pils Small Craft Warning, the perfect accompaniment to BBQ ( hint, hint :wink: )

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I have been a patron of Fink's and of Stickey's, and I was just telling my wife that I would order from Stickey's tomorrow or Friday. Thanks for the heads-up. I never would have thought to call ahead.

That's a shame. Does anybody know more about what happened? Somebody said a lease negotiation. This can only mean the lease was up and the landlord wanted more money, right? Does a town ever intervene in something like this? You know, for the common good of the community?

~ Ken P.

While it is not unusual for municipalities to offer tax incentives/abatements to large industrial/commercial tenants (to draw them into their communities for jobs, ratables, etc.), they don't get involved in private lease negotiations.

• 6 months later...

The Chinese-Japanese restaurant that replaced Fink's in River Edge, Shogun Wok II (Shogun Wok I is in Fort Lee), has been replaced.

Right now the only sign on the building says "Grand Opening." But the name of the new place is Ringo, and it will continue to serve Japanese and Chinese food.

I haven't been in yet.

Ringo, 626 Kinderkamack Rd., River Edge; same phone as old place: 201-265-3377.

The Chinese-Japanese restaurant that replaced Fink's in River Edge, Shogun Wok II (Shogun Wok I is in Fort Lee), has been replaced.

Right now the only sign on the building says "Grand Opening." But the name of the new place is Ringo, and it will continue to serve Japanese and Chinese food.

I haven't been in yet.

Ringo, 626 Kinderkamack Rd., River Edge; same phone as old place: 201-265-3377.

Looks like the ubiquitous super ordinary Chinese takeout found in New Jersey was replaced by another one.

If you are in this area, it makes sense to just drive another 5 minutes to Lotus Cafe in the Home Depot/Pathmark shopping center. Above average Chinese food. Not great, but pretty good if you have a Chinese craving!