• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brunch in Boston

ella

My sister goes to Boston University and I frequently come into the city for a visit on the weekends... But we've yet to find a place in the neighborhood (or even not so in the neighborhood) that serves a good brunch... Any suggestions?

• 2 years later...

Although this thread is old, can anyone specifically update it with a rec on a brunch buffet? A good one, please. Price is well, not MUCH of an object. I would say something not more than $80 per person all-included. (drinks and tip and all that.) Near me there is Crabtree's Kittle House in Chappaqua, NY and Restaurant X in Piermont. Both do fantastic all-you-can eat brunches for under $40. (Restaurant X is A.Y.C.E. but not a buffet.)

-James Kessler

Although this thread is old, can anyone specifically update it with a rec on a brunch buffet?  A good one, please.  Price is well, not MUCH of an object.  I would say something not more than $80 per person all-included. (drinks and tip and all that.)  Near me there is Crabtree's Kittle House in Chappaqua, NY and Restaurant X in Piermont.  Both do fantastic all-you-can eat brunches for under $40.  (Restaurant X is A.Y.C.E. but not a buffet.)

i think henrietta's table in harvard square might be what you are looking for

Run, walk, take the T, do whatever you need to do to get to Restaurant L at 234 Berkeley Street. It's an odd location for a restaurant, inside the upscale Louis Boston, but it works. My wife and I ate lunch there back in June and it was wonderful. It's open for lunch from Noon-3:00 Monday through Saturday and lunch items are priced at four levels: $12, $16, $20 and $24. Although I hate the term, I'd characterize the lunch menu as Asian fusion with an emphasis on salads, noodles, seafood, and meats. Food & Wine named chef Pino Maffeo one of the best new chefs in the U.S. in 2006.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Run, walk, take the T, do whatever you need to do to get to Restaurant L at 234 Berkeley Street. It's an odd location for a restaurant, inside the upscale Louis Boston, but it works. My wife and I ate lunch there back in June and it was wonderful. It's open for lunch from Noon-3:00 Monday through Saturday and lunch items are priced at four levels: $12, $16, $20 and $24. Although I hate the term, I'd characterize the lunch menu as Asian fusion with an emphasis on salads, noodles, seafood, and meats. Food & Wine named chef Pino Maffeo one of the best new chefs in the U.S. in 2006.

One of the most disappointing meals I've had in Boston was at Restaurant L, a few months ago. The service was horrendous (our server described the dessert menu as a "crap menu"), the food unremarkable (disgustingly overcooked gnocchi, oversalted main courses), and the entire atmosphere bizarre. Our server made the entire experience a rollercoaster ride through hell. There was no one else in the restaurant (Wednesday night), and I asked if it would be possible to see the kitchen. The waittress apologized, saying it was "too busy". I found this ridiculous because at all other restaurants I've been too, both more or less famous than Restaurant L, the hospitality had been exceptional, and a request to tour the kitchen had always been responded to with an "of course". It may have just been an off day, but it was a major disappointment for me and my friends.

As far as brunch goes, Aujourd'ui in the Four Seasons is a reliable favorite buffet, and I've heard East Coast Grill has the best brunch in Boston. (Henrietta's table is decent)

www.wacatering.netfirms.com

talk does not cook rice

-chinese proverb

As far as brunch goes, Aujourd'ui in the Four Seasons is a reliable favorite buffet, and I've heard East Coast Grill has the best brunch in Boston. (Henrietta's table is decent)

Is Aujourd'ui a buffet? I was interested, but thought it was priced by each dish. (As opposed to a fixed price for a buffet.) Don't really know, because I haven't actually seen a menu. Is there someone who knows for sure if it is or is not a buffet?

-James Kessler

Is Aujourd'ui a buffet? I was interested, but thought it was priced by each dish. (As opposed to a fixed price for a buffet.) Don't really know, because I haven't actually seen a menu. Is there someone who knows for sure if it is or is not a buffet?

ya ive been there a bunch, the buffets always the same, but i think its really good. (sunday brunch only)

btw i just had tea in the bristol lounge and i thought it was a great deal for all those little sandwiches/cakes/scones for just 26$.

www.wacatering.netfirms.com

talk does not cook rice

-chinese proverb

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a selfless plug for myself and my restaurant, but MASA in the South End is great. I am the new chef here, three months removed from Chicago. I just changed 80% of the brunch menu two weeks ago. Here is also a link to Boston brunch listings for your considerations.

http://www.bostonusa.com/images/admin/logo...pagelisting.htm

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC