• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

N J Turnpike

Milt

Next month will find us traveling I-85, I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike getting from the Atlanta area to Maplewood - just west of Newark. Are there any recommended places to eat that are casual and convenient? We enjoy all kinds of food, and would much prefer your recommendations to taking whatever we can find at the next exit.

Milt, I can't help w/NJ Tpk recommendations, but I have to tell you about a restaurant in Atlanta...if you have the opportunity, go to The Food Studio!!! Had an absolutely stellar meal there thanks to the recommendation of some other eGulleteers when I went down there on business recently. Have a good trip! :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks menton1 for the Le Me Toujours recommendation. It is still unclear where we will be at what hour, so I am creating a list of possibilities. This sounds wonderful.

Curtz, thank you also, for your comments about one of our favorite restaurants in Atlanta - The Food Studio. I have posted this same question on the Southeast board. Now I'll go check to see if they have any suggestions yet.

Milt:

At the very end of you're journey, you'll get of the NJ Turnpike at exit 11 and head up the Garden State Parkway. Two miles north of this junction on the Garden State is the Oak Tree Road Indian restaurant strip, the biggest South Asian neighborhood in the reigon. Exit the Garden State at 131 and turn left. Go down to Oak Tree Road and make another left, you'll be right in the thick of things after a block or two.

Look for Chowpatty on the left or the Galaxy Food Court on the right, but don't be afraid to experiment. There are many good restaurants and even more food and snack shops. Be aware that the Galaxy has its own parking in back.

I hope you have a great trip.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

It's only another 80 miles to your destination, but in NJ right off Exit 4 of the Turnpike is the wonderful French/Vietnamese fusion place, Le Me Toujours. Here is some discussion along with directions: Le Me Toujours Thread

Places off I-85 can probably be answered on the Southeast Forum.

I need some clarification here. Is not Le Me Toujours between Brick and Evesham Roads on Route 73? Unless I am totally mistaken about it’s location that’s not exactly just off the Turnpike.

I told Milt on another forum if he wanted to go that far off of the ‘Pike he may want to try Food For Thought which is outstanding upscale American. He’d pass it on the way to Le Me Toujours.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

I need some clarification here.  Is not Le Me Toujours between Brick and Evesham Roads on Route 73?  Unless I am totally mistaken about it’s location that’s not exactly just off the Turnpike.

I told Milt on another forum if he wanted to go that far off of the ‘Pike he may want to try Food For Thought which is outstanding upscale American.  He’d pass it on the way to Le Me Toujours.

Last time I was at Le Me Toujours, I got off at Exit 4. That puts you right on Rte 73 South. It took about 2 1/2 minutes to get to Le Me Toujours, on the same side of the road. I guess it will take about 3 1/2 minutes to get back to the Turnpike because you have to make a U Turn at the next jughandle. :blink:

I guess "Just off the Turnpike" might mean IN the toll booths!

Milt:

At the very end of you're journey, you'll get of the NJ Turnpike at exit 11 and head up the Garden State Parkway. Two miles north of this junction on the Garden State is the Oak Tree Road Indian restaurant strip, the biggest South Asian neighborhood in the reigon. Exit the Garden State at 131 and turn left. Go down to Oak Tree Road and make another left, you'll be right in the thick of things after a block or two.

Look for Chowpatty on the left or the Galaxy Food Court on the right, but don't be afraid to experiment. There are many good restaurants and even more food and snack shops. Be aware that the Galaxy has its own parking in back.

I hope you have a great trip.

Yo Brian (or anyone else who knows),

This sounds like an area that I seriously need to visit.

MapQuest doesn't recognize Parkway exits tho. What town are we talking about?

Thanks!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Thank you Rosie! :smile:

I need some good Indian food. Always. Can never get enough.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

I need some clarification here.  Is not Le Me Toujours between Brick and Evesham Roads on Route 73?  Unless I am totally mistaken about it’s location that’s not exactly just off the Turnpike.

I told Milt on another forum if he wanted to go that far off of the ‘Pike he may want to try Food For Thought which is outstanding upscale American.  He’d pass it on the way to Le Me Toujours.

Last time I was at Le Me Toujours, I got off at Exit 4. That puts you right on Rte 73 South. It took about 2 1/2 minutes to get to Le Me Toujours, on the same side of the road. I guess it will take about 3 1/2 minutes to get back to the Turnpike because you have to make a U Turn at the next jughandle. :blink:

I guess "Just off the Turnpike" might mean IN the toll booths!

Sorry I had never been. It’s on my list of places that I want to try next trip, but my list always exceeds meals I can eat in SJ. I was only going by Zagat’s describing it “between Brick and Evesham Roads” which is nowhere near where you said. In fact where you described sounds like Mt. Laurel not Marlton unless it’s the northernmost tip. Marlton is south of Church Road.

I will keep a close eye out for it when I’m in the area in July because Zagat’s is obviously way off.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Hey Ghostrider!

Then you HAVE to go to Oak Tree Road!

It's right by the Metropark Train Station if that's any help.

BTW...when you do get enough, just head west on Oak Tree for great Chinese.

Thanks!

Durn, I was hoping that it was closer. Looks to be about 30 miles away. Doable, but not as often as I'd like.

Still, it's great to know that such an area exists. It's good to have goals in life!