• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buying a B&B

gsquared

How does one decide whether to grasp an opportunity that involves a serious lifestyle change or to let it go by? Lists of pros and cons, endless calcs, but in the final analysis, you listen to your gut. That, in any event, is what we did when we bought a B&B at the coast this week. We saw this place on a dune next to the sea with steps leading down to the beach, looked at each other and decided that this is where we want to be. When a large school of dolphins (200 or so) went by, frolicking in the waves, we were finally decided. Largish B&B - 10 en suite bedrooms, all facing the sea.

i4272.jpg

View from the property

i4273.jpg

Another view

i4275.jpg

The house on the right.

i4277.jpg

Breakfast area.

The kitchens (there are 2), both need lots of attention.

i4276.jpg

We are apprehensive, excited and determined to have a lot of fun!

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Wow, congratulations. It's beautiful. Where are you located? If my wife and I are ever travelling that way I would love to come for a stay. Although with views like that I'm not sure we can afford your rates :smile: The best of luck. I'm sure you'll do well.

The place is on the garden route on the east coast of South Africa in a town called Wilderness near Knysna. It is called Mes Amis (go figure!)

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Wow!! Congratulations on taking the leap. Will you be on-site proprietors? Or will you higher management to run place?

The blue sky is gorgeous. A perfect antidote to the crappy weather in NYC.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Will you be on-site proprietors?

We will indeed manage it ourselves, hence, I guess, much of the apprehension. Tying yourself down to that extent is daunting, but living there will have, we hope, its compensations.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Congratulations!

If anyone else is interested in buying a B&B, there's one for sale in Saratoga Springs, NY. It's the Chestnut Tree Inn. The number is (518) 587-8681. It's a Victorian Inn, just a 10-minute walk from the track and a 5-minute walk from downtown.

I've stayed there and it's very, very comfortable.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

THat looks beautiful.

What will you be serving for breakfast? Did the place come with guests already on the books? Are you dealing with primarily South Africans on holiday or do you have an international trade?

I just looked it up on the map, as I had no clue where Knsya was.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Did the place come with guests already on the books?

Yes, it is a running B&B with a good occupancy rate. The guests are split around 30% local, 50% European and 20% business (reps and such).

What will you be serving for breakfast?

They currently do a fairly simple breakfast - fruit, yoghurt, scones, toast and an English plated breakfast. I would have thought that the large % of Europeans may call for the option of a more European style breakfast, but we intend to settle in first, get a feel for what the guests want and then do a total revamp of the breakfast menu. One needs, I think, to get an idea of food cost first and then see what can be done without jacking up the standards to such an extent that the additional cost mandates putting up the rates. That said, I am sure that we can do a lot better within the current cost structure.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Wow, congratulations. It's beautiful. Where are you located? If my wife and I are ever travelling that way I would love to come for a stay. Although with views like that I'm not sure we can afford your rates  :smile: 

Any rate you pay won't be for the view...it will be for the gourmet meals! :laugh:

Read his Foodblog.

edited to qualify

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Congratulations and best of luck!! Actually wondered where you were, as after the fabulous foodblog, I didn't see your posts anywhere. Seems you've been very busy! If you feed your guests the same way you did on the foodblog, you'll have no trouble renting rooms!! :biggrin:

It's just gorgeous! Congratulations!

It looks a lot like the California coast where I live.

And let me know if you need a website. I've done several B&B sites, and I would love to help.

I can't wait to watch your adventures unfold. Good luck with everything, GG.

Gerhard -

What an exciting adventure! The view is fantastic. Wishing you all of the best. I can easily picture a few beach chairs, umbrellas and a great big book to read while enjoying the sights and sounds of the Indian Ocean. :cool:

Gerhard... What a fantastic beach. Do people swim there?

My kids (grown) and I have B&B'd through England and the Pacific NW here in the US. One of the things that attracted us were innovative breakfasts. Looking back on it, I don't think there was a lot of expense involved or any more labor than usual, just innovation. Our favorites used local ingredients, in season and good breads. Sometimes the breads were from a local bakery and information on the bakery was part of the menu. The menu was typically fixed and that was OK. I don't think you have to offer a "diner style" number of options to be successful. The draw was always that the breakfasts were different and interesting. I still remember that dungeoness crab omelet that we had in Washington state. Another memorable B&B was one run by a passingly strange lady in the Lake District of England. She had homemade preserves and wonderfully unique omelets. We remember that she insisted that we drink our fresh juice down right away before "the life forces of the fruit expired". Anyway, I bought one of her cook books. These places attracted us because their marketing copy in the guides we were using emphasized the unique breakfast menus. Great fun.

Best of luck in your new venture.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I just went through your blog. Damn. I don't think you will have a problem getting guests standing in line at your door.

I want to have breakfast at your place.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Gerhard:

Hearty congratulations on the new venture.! It seems so right for you. Anyone that could write a foodblog as glorious as yours really needs to channel all that energy productively. Your guests will be fortunate indeed.

I remain available for adoption... :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Read the blog - it will all make perfect sense. :smile:

Gerhard, congratulations to you and your wife! I'm ready to book. Will you be keeping your house (with its gorgeous veranda)?

We may need to do an egullet road trip! The views are amazing. I can't imagine waking up and seeing such beauty every day. Enjoy

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe