• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Donald" Trademarked Cocktail

beans

Trademarking cocktails is kinda rare, and I think only one comes to mind: The Hand Grenade from Tropical Isle Inc. of New Orleans. :huh:

The man known as "The Donald" already owns a trademark on that phrase -- when it's used to describe a cocktail drink.

I spotted this news story and it sort of sparked some curiosity. I have never viewed the guy's show, so perhaps someone can speculate on this trademark he has applied and for and obtained?

[crossing my fingers that the links are correct....]

Cheers!

Perhaps he's reserving "the Donald" for future use when he begins heavy marketing of

"The World's Most Expensive Cocktail"

at $64 including tax and tip it's not the priciest but it's right up there. I disagree with the article's claim that the average price for a bar cocktail in the U.S. is $8 - $9. That may be the case in the biggest major cities and upscale establishments but don't the $3 - $5 cocktails sold in abundance elsewhere bring the average down a bit?

Well, the TESS (Trademark Electronic Search System) session expired. :angry:

Here is the relevant info from the folks at the US Patent and Trademark Office:

Word Mark THE DONALD

Goods and Services IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: Prepared alcoholic cocktails. FIRST USE: 19990000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19990000

Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING

Serial Number 75631463

Filing Date February 1, 1999

Current Filing Basis 1A

Original Filing Basis 1B

Published for Opposition August 21, 2001

Registration Number 2698051

Registration Date March 18, 2003

Owner (REGISTRANT) Trump, Donald J. INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 725 5th Avenue New York NEW YORK 10022

Attorney of Record Jenifer Paine

I wonder if the man himself mixed it up on his own or if it is a preference that he enjoys and is now narcissistic enough to try to market it as such? As the saying goes: "Inquiring minds want to know!" :biggrin: After all it has been on file for some time now! I suppose we shall see.

Perhaps he's reserving "the Donald" for future use when he begins heavy marketing of

"The World's Most Expensive Cocktail"

at $64 including tax and tip it's not the priciest but it's right up there. I disagree with the article's claim that the average price for a bar cocktail in the U.S. is $8 - $9. That may be the case in the biggest major cities and upscale establishments but don't the $3 - $5 cocktails sold in abundance elsewhere bring the average down a bit?

Granted this article was published in 2002, but I think the figures are fairly close. I think the day of the $3 cocktail are well over. :wacko: At the time my standard drink was a mere Stoli Vanil and diet, tall I was visiting South Beach. Those crappy drinks were $15 each! I think Cosmos were $18. :hmmm:

I know -- location, location, location.

Thanks for the link to the article. I particularly enjoyed the following tasting notes:

The beverage itself is tiny - many of the World Bar's other drinks are easily four times the size of the $50 cocktail. It was consumed in about 15 tiny sips and didn't taste any more distinct than a regular champagne cocktail. It was light and slightly fruity and most closely resembled watered-down bubbly.

:laugh:

Trademarking cocktails is kinda rare, and I think only one comes to mind: The Hand Grenade from Tropical Isle Inc. of New Orleans. :huh:

Not sure if it's tradmarked, but the Bacardi Cocktail was the subject of a New York court case. Bacardi sued to ensure that any drink called a Bacardi cocktail was always, indeed, made with Bacardi.

Actually, a search of TESS the Bacardi Cocktail (the ingredients and recipe) is lacking. There are plenty assigned to the generic "Bacardi" for glassware, apparel, etc.

I think Robert (DrinkBoy) knows this, but I'm pretty sure The Hand Grenade, other than now The Donald, is the only cocktail that is trademarked (with exception to mixes that are purchased from the grocery/beverage store, i.e., Jose Cuervo Margarita mix, and the like).

Edited by beans (log)

Aha!

You "could" attempt to trademark the name (and recipe). But this would not be recommended. To do so would mean that you would be legally obligated to look

for anybody who might be serving this drink, using that name, without having arranged for specific permission from you. If you were to fail to demonstrate a dilligence at tracking down abusers, you would essentially give up the trademark. This is why the Tropical Isle bar in New Orleans is so diligent about the "Hand Grenade" drink... it's not because they are mean and cruel, but because once they went down the "trademark" route, they had no choice.

-Robert

www.DrinkBoy.com

http://www.webtender.com/iforum/message.cg...&hili=trademark

Granted this article was published in 2002, but I think the figures are fairly close.  I think the day of the $3 cocktail are well over.  :wacko:  At the time my standard drink was a mere Stoli Vanil and diet, tall I was visiting South Beach.  Those crappy drinks were $15 each!  I think Cosmos were $18.  :hmmm:

I know -- location, location, location.

I as in NYC last weekend and peused the menu at some "Martini Bar" over on 9th or 10th Avenue. Just about all the so-called Martini's were in the $8 - $12 range. I understand your point in reference ot any major city market were call brands are involved but there is a massive amount of "cocktails" which are consumed in neighborhood bars, college drinking spots etc.

It's been a few years since I was a drinker (make that many) but when I tended bar our well liquor always outsold the top shelf. Prices around here (central NY state) tend to be $3 - $4 per drink for well liquor and $5 - $7 for top shelf. Then there was the time two or three years ago when I visited Centro-Fly - a supposedly hip NYC dance club. $14 for two really skimpy diet colas....

I never pay more than $5 for a cocktail, trademarked or no. I make other people buy the more-than-$5 cocktails for me.

Hey, this seems as good a place as any to ask--isn't the Funky Cold Medina a trademarked cocktail? Or is it just a song? What's the story on that one?

Noise is music. All else is food.

• 3 weeks later...
The man known as "The Donald" already owns a trademark on that phrase -- when it's used to describe a cocktail drink.

I spotted this news story and it sort of sparked some curiosity. I have never viewed the guy's show, so perhaps someone can speculate on this trademark he has applied and for and obtained?

[crossing my fingers that the links are correct....]

Cheers!

I'm sure this is the gaudiest cocktial ever.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Two things.

I'm not sure, but I think Pat OBrien's either has a trademark on the Hurricane or the shape of the glass. One of the bars I used to haunt in Louisiana supposedly (according to the owner who had been known to tell a tall tale or two - say that 10 times reat last) had a trademark on a drink called "The Purple Muther&%$#er." It was purple, and you could get an extra shot of booze in it, then it was a "Purple Muther&%$#er With an Attitude". They didn't taste strong, but they would put yo lights out.

Also, my guess as to what goes into the Donald? Clear hard liquor (Vodka maybe?) with tonic, with a little grenadine floating on top. It would match his hair. Silver on the bottom, red on the top, and the red up top has no business being there.

Either that, or it's a real expensive brandy or liqueur with a Sacagawea dollar at the bottom of the glass. So it tastes like money.

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Trump has Trumped himself (or been Trumped) with the introduction of the You're Hired cocktail at the world bar in NY. This excerpted from a recent press release:

But April 15th marks the end of the firing spree and the announcement of the show’s winner, who will finally hear the anticipated words “You’re Hired,” as he or she is invited to work for Mr. Trump. To toast to the newfound lifestyle of Trump’s newest employee, the World Bar in the Trump World Tower has created a “You’re Hired” cocktail fit only for Trump’s chosen apprentice– it comes with a price tag of $1000!

L'Esprit de Courvoisier retails for $6,000, presented not in a bottle, but in a handcrafted and hand finished individual decanter made just for this precious spirit by world-renowned crystal maker, Lalique, so no two are alike. Each is numbered and hand engraved with the Lalique signature to confirm authenticity.

“You’re Hired” Cocktail (aka French 1000)

2 oz. L'Esprit Courvoiser

1 1/2 oz. Chateau d'Yquem Sauterne

1 oz. Fresh Grape Juice

Splash of Fresh Lemon Juice

Splash of Simple Syrup

1 1/2 oz. Dom Perignon

Served in a Champagne Flute.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

The other "trademarked" drink that comes to mind is the Sazerac. The Sazerac Company claims to "own the intelectual rights" to the name.

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

“You’re Hired” Cocktail (aka French 1000)

2 oz. L'Esprit Courvoiser

1 1/2 oz. Chateau d'Yquem Sauterne

1 oz. Fresh Grape Juice

Splash of Fresh Lemon Juice

Splash of Simple Syrup

1 1/2 oz. Dom Perignon

Served in a Champagne Flute.

I wonder what Gary Regan, one of the pre-eminent writers on cocktails and the bartender's craft, thinks of this drink.

Richard

Instead of calling it "The Donald", they should call it "The Comb-Over". :raz:

I just realized I must have a mild form of dyslexia. I coulda swore I was reading "You're Fried" instead of "You're Fired". "You're Fried" sounds more eGulletlicious!

Quick, someone tell FG & Jason to trademark it!

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I thought I had seen it all, and then while grocery shopping last

week, there it was......a liter bottle of Donald Trump spring water!

It had a dark blue, wrap-around wrapper, with the same photo that

he used in his book, 'The Art Of The Deal'.

Couldn't help but chuckle.

Audrey