• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bouley

glenn

business casual ranges in definition from dockers and a polo shirt to slacks and a button down. While anything in this range is acceptable to my office I prefer to look as presentable as I can and go with slacks and a button down.

I have no problem wearing a suit on the day of my reservation. I just wish my father would do so as well. He's the one who picked the damn place, even though there are a number of restaurants I would have prefered to go to.

We'll see how this experience holds up. Based on what I have been reading, I am going in with the expectation that the dining experience will be sub-par for the caliber of the restaurant. My best meal to date was the tasting menu at Aquavit so that's what I'll be using as comparison.

I noticed that some diners took off the jacket when seated.

my comment might be for another thread, but if diners need to take off their jacket, and presumably drape it over their chair, then something is wrong. either it's too hot, or the standard of dress at the restaurant is at a level where it doesn't require a jacket, or, worse yet, embraces jackets draped off the back of chairs.

I'd suggest splitting the difference. I am pretty sure you won't stand out at work if you wear dress slacks, a (non-white) shirt that will look good both with and without a tie, and a jacket. Bring a tie with you in your bag. You can always take the jacket off at work, and you can put on the tie at the last minute if you decide to go with neck ornamentation for Bouley.

This gives you the ability go be comfortable at work, and also to blend in to pretty much any style of dress at Bouley (dress slacks, shirt/tie and jacket, if appropriately high quality, are almost as dressy as a full suit -- and yet the whole ensemble is made appreciably more casual by taking off the tie and unbuttoning the collar).

--

I'd suggest splitting the difference. I am pretty sure you won't stand out at work if you wear dress slacks, a (non-white) shirt that will look good both with and without a tie, and a jacket. Bring a tie with you in your bag. You can always take the jacket off at work, and you can put on the tie at the last minute if you decide to go with neck ornamentation for Bouley.

This gives you the ability go be comfortable at work, and also to blend in to pretty much any style of dress at Bouley (dress slacks, shirt/tie and jacket, if appropriately high quality, are almost as dressy as a full suit -- and yet the whole ensemble is made appreciably more casual by taking off the tie and unbuttoning the collar).

Right, but I don't have a good sportscoat (or any sportscoat for that matter), and thus am reduced to suit or slacks/shirt as I am not going to buy a jacket specfically for this dinner.

We'll see how this experience holds up.  Based on what I have been reading, I am going in with the expectation that the dining experience will be sub-par for the caliber of the restaurant.  My best meal to date was the tasting menu at Aquavit so that's what I'll be using as comparison.

I believe the dining experience will depend very much on what you order. That may sound staggeringly obvious, but I say it because the three most memorable dishes/taste sensations I have from my recent dinner there were the three that I didn't order, the amuse bouche, and the two dessert teasers.

Check out my review of the restaurant here.

I took my wife to Bouley to celebrate her birthday recently. I chose the restaurant in part due to the reviews I've read on this forum.

I have to say some of the reviews I find here are fantastic and extraordinarily detailed, and I'm glad I found this site.

I too have tried to record our experience there in a report. You can read a rookie's attempt at a review of our Bouley dinner here.

I dined at Bouley last night and had a fantastic meal. It began and ended with the same amuse-bouches wongste reported and a few of the dishes were the same as well. Everything was excellent. I do not have the stamina to write up a full report and I do not remember the intricacies of each dish off the top of my head, but my sister took note of everything while we were eating and either she or I will post it at some point soon.

I am nothing close to a professional food critic but there was nothing about my experience that would incline me to say the restaurant deserves any less than 4 stars. My thanks to chopjwu12 and the kitchen.

-Eric

The http://www.bouleyrestaurants.com/ main site is working as is the Danube site, but the Bouley restaurant site isn't responding.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I dined at Bouley last night and had a fantastic meal. It began and ended with the same amuse-bouches wongste reported and a few of the dishes were the same as well. Everything was excellent. I do not have the stamina to write up a full report and I do not remember the intricacies of each dish off the top of my head, but my sister took note of everything while we were eating and either she or I will post it at some point soon.

I am nothing close to a professional food critic but there was nothing about my experience that would incline me to say the restaurant deserves any less than 4 stars. My thanks to chopjwu12 and the kitchen.

-Eric

i just wanted to that eric and his beautiful family for coming in. It was our pleasure to cook for you guys. If i would have known you guys liked meat more i would have geared it that way. I apologise for that but next time ill make sure you guys get your full!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for comign in and hopefully enjoyign yourself. If you dont mind me asking how old are you.

No need to apologize about the course selection. I personally liked the layout of the meal and felt that it was a proper balance and transition from fish to meat just the way a multi-course meal is supposed to flow. Again, everything was wonderful and a good time was had by all of us.

To answer your question about my age, I am 22 years old - 23 in November.

Usually the best way to get a current menu from any restaurant is to ask the reservationist to fax it to you. Most Web sites, even the ones that are frequently updated, lag behind what you can get via fax.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Where might I be able to find an up-to-date menu for Bouley? I have a reservation for the 31st of July, and I wanted to know what to expect. Thanks a bunch.

You can have a look at the menu posted on menupages.com.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...=23&cuisineid=0

I don't know if it's entirely up-to-date, but I do see dishes listed that seem very much like some described by eGulleteers who just dined there. Of course, items could change by the end of July.