• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Network's Lineup

ExtraMSG

People are always complaining here about The Food Network. I don't think it's perfect, but I think it's in many ways better than other one-subject cable channels, like the Travel Channel or the History Channel, for doing a good job of covering its subject matter. If you look at a daily rundown, too, it's pretty good about giving shows that actually do teach the subject. The majority of shows are truly about food and not just fluff. The Unwraps of the channel may be on during prime time, but they make up a narrow minority of the channel, truly.

Here's a list of their daily rundown from yesterday (Wednesday):

Trivia Unwrapped

Cooking Live

Calling All Cooks

Hot Off the Grill with Bobby Flay

Sweet Dreams

Chocolate with Jacques Torres

Food 911

The Best Of

Sara's Secrets

30 Minute Meals

Calling All Cooks

Food Finds

The Essence of Emeril

Molto Mario

Sweet Dreams

Wolfgang Puck's Cooking Class

30 Minute Meals

From Martha's Kitchen

Sara's Secrets

Food 911

Emeril Live

Good Eats

Good Eats

Unwrapped

Unwrapped

Good Eats

Emeril Live

Good Eats

Good Eats

Unwrapped

Unwrapped

Good Eats

The Best Of

The Food Hunter

Here's a list of all their shows:

$40 a Day

30 Minute Meals

A Cook's Tour

All American Festivals

Barefoot Contessa

The Best Of

Boy Meets Grill

Calling All Cooks

Ciao America with Mario Batali

Cooking Live

Cooking Thin

Cookworks

Date Plate

Dweezil & Lisa

Easy Entertaining with Michael Chiarello

Emeril Live

The Essence of Emeril

Everyday Italian

Follow That Food

Food 911

Food Fight

Food Finds

The Food Hunter

Food Network Specials

FoodNation with Bobby Flay

From Martha's Kitchen

Good Eats

Good Food Fast with Family Circle

Happy Days Live

How to Boil Water

Iron Chef

Jamie's Kitchen

Keith Famie's Adventures

Low Carb and Lovin' it

Mario Eats Italy

Molto Mario

The Naked Chef

Oliver's Twist

Passion for Dessert with Jacques Torres

Paula's Home Cooking

Recipe for Success

Roker on the Road

Sara's Secrets

Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee

The Surreal Gourmet

Sweet Dreams

Top 5

Trivia Unwrapped

Tyler's Ultimate

Ultimate Kitchens

Unwrapped

What America Eats with Parade

Wolfgang Puck

Wolfgang Puck's Cooking Class

EMSG, I think we mostly just mourn for shows we liked. And, Hell, some of us would bitch if we were hung with a new rope. It's fun...and it does you good to vent. At least that's what the pseudo-psychiatrists would say about the pseudo cooks! :rolleyes:

I really appreciate the fact that the FN has brought exposure to some incredible chefs (Bonjour Jacques Torres, Ciao Mario, Yo Mr. Bourdain) and high concept entertainment (Konichiwa Iron Chefs)...

But during prime time all those Unwrappeds, Emeril Lives ("Essence of" is good though never shown in prime time) Date Plates, Dweezils and Lisas... and Nobody Does Like Sandra Lees... dumb the channel down too much for my liking. Even too much Alton is...well, too much.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

There are some pretty crappy shows...but a couple I definitely watch for.

I think Tyler Florence's shows (both) are consistently good. (In terms of recipes and some technique, and he's not annoying) They don't seem to be showing "Ultimate" as much, maybe they are filming a new season.

Food 911 was particularly good alst night. The filet mignon with mushrooms and pinot noir sauce is something I want to try!

the problem I have with the FN is the continuing trend of dumbing down. The ads they accept are not geared towards folks who really cook (for the most part), the shows aren't either (in prime time), and I don't have the inclination nor the time to wait for a good show to come on. I mean really, Sandra Lee? please. The number of totally inane shows well overshadows the good ones. Newbies who turn on this network are going to think that pre-packaged food is the way to go. Terrible. Just terrible. Give me PBS anyday.

Not that some pre-packaged items aren't good - it's just that anything that bills itself at the ultimate, and FN does, ought to have many more from scratch shows than convienence shows. Does that make any sense at all?

Too bad that all the people who know

how to run the country are busy driving

taxicabs and cutting hair.

--George Burns

I think that eGulleters have a different viewpoint than the average person...many of us do not need the 'basic' shows (How to Boil water, etc...). As well, many of the more informative shows are on during the day, when we're not watching TV. Personally, I'm only watching TV in the evening, and I think that's the programming that most of us have a problem with. At that time of day, it's more about personalities and fluff shows (Food unwrapped, Top Five). I don't need to see candies being extruded repeatedly, as I don't consider that either edifying or entertaining. :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

There are a lot of good things to be said for the food network. But there are also a lot of bad things. Sandra "When You Care Enough to do the Very Least" Lee come to mind.

Is that horrible show with the skinny chick and the fat woman still on? I'm a pacifist, but I wanted to beat the holy crap out of them. I admit my prejudices, too. I like shows where they actually cook. I don't like unwrapped and best of and The Never-Ending Road Trip with Al Roker. Just put me out of my misery.

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I have deleted those programs from the lineup posted that I have no interest in. Here is what is left:

A Cook's Tour

All American Festivals

Barefoot Contessa

Boy Meets Grill

Cooking Thin

Cookworks

Emeril Live

The Essence of Emeril

Follow That Food

Food 911

The Food Hunter

Food Network Specials

FoodNation with Bobby Flay

From Martha's Kitchen

Good Eats

Happy Days Live

Iron Chef

Jamie's Kitchen

Mario Eats Italy

Molto Mario

The Naked Chef

Oliver's Twist

Tyler's Ultimate

Most of what's left are shows I have only slight interest in. If I delete those, I get:

A Cook's Tour

Food Network Specials

Good Eats

Iron Chef

Mario Eats Italy

Molto Mario

Of those, the shows available on FN Canada are:

A Cook's Tour

Food Network Specials

Good Eats

Iron Chef

Molto Mario

Of those, most are reruns except:

Food Network Specials

Good Eats

And most of the Specials I have seen where not that good, leaving:

Good Eats.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I always feel as if I am watching an 8-track tape - remember those? An endless, short loop that plays the same things over and over again.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There are 3 presenters/shows on FT Canada that I will make an appointment for:

- Bourdain on Cook's Tour

- Jamie Oliver

- Nigella

And 3 I will stay to watch if they happen to be on:

- Iron Chef

- Food Hunter

- Thirsty Traveler*

Doesn't seem like much, but there are entire mainstream networks where I wouldn't watch a single show, so ExtraMSG has a point.

* don't think you have the Thirsty Traveler stateside or across the pond. A Canuck travels the world sampling booze.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

The problem I keep hearing is not that that Food TV is useless or has nothing to offer, but that it offers less each season, and that the least intersting shows dominate prime time. A long list of what it has to offer is damning if the best of that list are repeats of shows that were cancelled or discontinued.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

For what it's worth, here's my edited list--this is what I watch sometimes--nothing here watched with any real regularity unless highlighted:

$40 a Day (she's less irritating on this show than she is below)

30 Minute Meals (her voice...GAH! :blink: )

A Cook's Tour :wub:

All American Festivals

Barefoot Contessa

The Best Of

Calling All Cooks

Cooking Live

Cookworks

Everyday Italian

Follow That Food

Food 911

Food Finds

The Food Hunter

Food Network Specials

From Martha's Kitchen

Good Eats

Happy Days Live (never seen this one but might watch it..)

Jamie's Kitchen

The Naked Chef

Oliver's Twist

Paula's Home Cooking

Recipe for Success

Sara's Secrets

Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee (for the laughs)

The Surreal Gourmet

Top 5

Trivia Unwrapped

What America Eats with Parade

I think it's interesting that basically the complaint is that not every show is one you're really interested in. Would you apply this to *any* other channel???

I agree somewhat with the complaint about prime time, but I guess they feel they need to be able to get entire families or something. There aren't many sets of people at night who can choose in isolation what to watch. My recommendation is Tivo or setting the VCR. I work from home and have a computer with a TV card, so it's not as much of an issue for me.

I do deny thing "dumbing down" claim, though. They've added a lot of food oriented shows.

And a lot of the complaints end up really being based on the personalities, not on the show itself. eg, Bourdain's show was no more food oriented than Famie's show. In fact, Famie's show is probably more oriented on food since he actually shows how to cook some of the dishes. But obviously Bourdain is more entertaining and more charismatic and has a rougher attitude. ACT was first about Bourdain and second about food. Few others could get away with that.

Good Eats isn't much different. There's no more basic show than that. Even Tyler's Ultimate and Food 911 often have more complex recipes. But GE is way more entertaining and AB way more fun to watch.

What I'm saying is that for all the complaints about content, I think the real issue is style. It's not *what* the shows are about, but *how* they're told.

But to some degree, getting great personalities is luck. The best they can do is to keep experimenting. I hope they attempt a talent search sometime.

*stomping l'il foot in mock rage* But I want to watch what I want, when I want, just by turning the tv on!!!

I see the point that programs could be taped and watched at night, but I'm not that organized. And my VCR is broken.

I just remember that up to about a year ago, I could turn FTV on at nearly any hour in the evening and see a show that interested me, and I chose to watch this channel over other networks on a consistant basis. Now I don't see shows that I find interesting, and I go elsewhere, or do something else. I find the entire prime time offering to be less intelligent, with less interesting hosts, and less variety.

And what's wrong with judging a show based on the personality? Let's face it, most of us have a good grasp of what's going on in that kitchen. So, we're left with the host/ess, scenery/set, and script value as a basis for judgement. And Bourdain IS more interesting than Famie, in his honesty about his viewpoint and what he is experiencing. I just find Famie boring as a person and a host - I'd rather watch wallpaper dry, no matter what he's cooking, or where he is. I watch Tyler because he's actually a good teacher, and respects the person he's teaching. It's fun to see him communicate his enthusiasm to the student, as well as show that you can produce great food in almost any kitchen. And Alton is just off the wall. While I find his show a bit cutsey (a spoonful of sugar helps the knowledge go down?), the technical information is really good, and presented in an overall interesting manner.

As for personality vs. style...if you can't stand to watch the host, you're not going to care about the style, content, or anything else. It's like having a tone deaf person singing your favorite opera.

edited for content. lala

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

One thing worth noting, Lala, is that if you're in the PNW like I am, they changed their times for showing shows about a year ago. Up until then, shows at 12 in the east were 9 in the pacific. Now if it's on at 12 in the east, it's on at 12 in the pacific. So when stuff is one has totally changed. I preferred it the old way, but I have a feeling that may have had more of an effect than the actual lineup.

I agree that personality, etc, matters, but I just find it hypocritical (in the literal sense) to say it's about the shows not being food-oriented enough or not complex enough and then point to shows that aren't any more food oriented or complex as the best shows on the network.

Frankly, I don't see anything better. I love Caprial's Bistro here in Portland but can't stand her show because here and her husband are so cheesy. Julia Child's shows in the last few years have been sad in many ways because she's getting so much older and just not quite the person she was. America's Test Kitchen has great content, but looks like it was produced in the '70s and Kimbell is creepy.

btw, I haven't been able to watch Tyler since he did his Mexico special and butchered the Spanish and showed his lack of research.

* don't think you have the Thirsty Traveler stateside or across the pond. A Canuck travels the world sampling booze.

Currently my favourite FN show! That guy is living MY dream!! :angry:

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

btw, I haven't been able to watch Tyler since he did his Mexico special and butchered the Spanish and showed his lack of research.
I'll never forget his "Ultimate Stew" when he went to France, and ended up at a vinyard. He was so wasted in the second half of that segment, it was not even funny. He barely speaks French anyway, and with his mush-mouth slurring made worse by the prevailing conditions, You know he was just potted. And they didn't have time for a re-shoot.

And my biggest problem with the "Semi-Home Made" show, is that whoever thought it up, is going to think up something else. Probably worse. And more than likely involving Cool Whip in an unentertaining way.

That being said, I can find most of the (prime time, at least) shows of FTV interesting enough. It at least keeps my wife from watching Law and Order... yet again. On the whole, I feel better about watching Unwrapped than I do about 75% of the shows on the rest of the networks. Except TLC and Discovery. At least it's all educational.

The only thing I've found that sends me diving for the remote control faster than Emeril Live is that damnable Quizno's commercial with the singing dust bunnies. shudder.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

And my biggest problem with the "Semi-Home Made" show, is that whoever thought it up, is going to think up something else. Probably worse. And more than likely involving Cool Whip in an unentertaining way.

The show is a Gordon Elliott Production so some slings and arrows aimed in his direction would be well-deserved. The show is so bad it's good. I enjoy watching it for the sheer disbelief factor. I've looked, but haven't yet been able to find out where in the schedule FTV buried the show since they yanked it from prime-time.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I do deny thing "dumbing down" claim, though.  They've added a lot of food oriented shows. 

Just to explain what I meant when I said dumbing down... It has nothing to do with food content or the entertainment factor or personalities of a show, but the message and attitude the show conveys to its audience.

1. In my opinion, Sandra Lee's Semi Homemade treats viewers like stupid idiots with processed food palates.... Compare this dreck with How to Boil Water which tries to teach people how to prepare basic recipes from scratch. At least this show has some technical merit and serves a useful purpose for its target audience of young, inexperienced cooks.

2. Date Plate? All I see here is a feeble attempt to cash in on reality dating shows ala The Bachelorette.

3. Unwrapped...Oh boy let's watch twinkies being processed.

4. Emeril Live. The repetitive schtick has grown oldhat and annoying. Compare to Essence of Emeril where Emeril proves he is a good chef and instructor. But no, it's the dumbed down, in-your-face, throw essence on everything, BAM version that dominates Prime Time.

Edited by TrishCT (log)

"Onething worth noting, Lala, is that if you're in the PNW like I am, they changed their times for showing shows about a year ago. Up until then, shows at 12 in the east were 9 in the pacific. Now if it's on at 12 in the east, it's on at 12 in the pacific. So when stuff is one has totally changed. I preferred it the old way, but I have a feeling that may have had more of an effect than the actual lineup."

That's it! I forgot about that. Wow. So if they just adjusted the schedule, that means that (in my singular opinion) that their Prime Time programming was always bad. So sad!

"I agree that personality, etc, matters, but I just find it hypocritical (in the literal sense) to say it's about the shows not being food-oriented enough or not complex enough and then point to shows that aren't any more food oriented or complex as the best shows on the network."

Oh, I hope you're not calling me hypocritical :wink: ... I didn't say that the shows are not food oriented enough, etc. I think I used good examples to back my opinion, including Good Eats, which to me, is the most food oriented and complex show on FTV.

And I don't see anything better out there, either. And now that the Travel Channel has gone to All Poker, All The Time, that's not an option, either. Thank goodness it'll be summer soon, and there'll be much better things to do in the evening.

edited for using a new computer (laptop!), and trying to do a double quote. sorry!

Edited by lala (log)

I'll confess to getting a kick out of Food Hunter. If any of you are ever in the area of Halifax, NS, look up Pete at his boutique-y greengrocer shop ("Pete's Frootique") in suburban Bedford. Chances are you'll find him there, obsessing over his produce.

In person, he's exactly what you see on the tube. Walk into the store, pick out an item that you've always wondered about, and march up to him. He'll tell you what to do with it. And tell you and tell you. He really, really loves what he does.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

That being said, I can find most of the (prime time, at least) shows of FTV interesting enough. It at least keeps my wife from watching Law and Order... yet again. On the whole, I feel better about watching Unwrapped than I do about 75% of the shows on the rest of the networks. Except TLC and Discovery. At least it's all educational.

The only thing I've found that sends me diving for the remote control faster than Emeril Live is that damnable Quizno's commercial with the singing dust bunnies. shudder.

Are we secretly married to the same woman? Though we may just be the same person living parallel lives judging from that second statement.