• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

d.c. delivery

babka

I've spent three days crashing on deadlines, with more to come, and I cannot cannot cannot stomach another omelet. But I also can't rationalize the time it would take to leave this barren hut and gather food from the vasty deep.

Who delivers in D.C.? Besides Meskereem?

This is one of my DC complaints. There just aren't as many options.

I order from Hibachi Brothers (Tenleytown) rather frequently. Sushi, hibachi-style dishes, etc. PLM (the ex!) routinely ordered their chirashi and said "it's not bad."

Mr. Chen's in Woodley Park. Chinese. Not my favorite but other people like it.

Delhi Dhaba (Van Ness). Wouldn't be my overall choice for Indian, but they deliver.

I've heard that Indique delivers, but only to the Woodley Park/Cleveland Park area.

It's a very good thing that Chipotle does not deliver.

Oh, random aside...in the Van Ness area there are two restaurants that never (EVER) have customers. I think they are money laundering operations. Anyway, the Chinese restaurant made the effort to change their name not too long ago from what I had thought was the dumbest name ever - Spicy Noodle Cafe - to what is definitely up there in terms of stupidity: Super Panda.

When I'm crashing on deadline, I eat delivery from Spices or Nooshi

(Spices is better).

Pickled ginger is awsome on your keyboard, by the way...

I should know how to spell pickle.

Edited by morela (log)

No advice, just whining: It seems like genuinely nowhere delivers to Takoma Park. Wah! Now I will shut up and let other, cleverer and kinder people actually be helpful.

"went together easy, but I did not like the taste of the bacon and orange tang together"

This is one of my DC complaints. There just aren't as many options.

I order from Hibachi Brothers (Tenleytown) rather frequently. Sushi, hibachi-style dishes, etc. PLM (the ex!) routinely ordered their chirashi and said "it's not bad."

Mr. Chen's in Woodley Park. Chinese. Not my favorite but other people like it.

Delhi Dhaba (Van Ness). Wouldn't be my overall choice for Indian, but they deliver.

I've heard that Indique delivers, but only to the Woodley Park/Cleveland Park area.

Oh, random aside...in the Van Ness area there are two restaurants that never (EVER) have customers. I think they are money laundering operations. Anyway, the Chinese restaurant made the effort to change their name not too long ago from what I had thought was the dumbest name ever - Spicy Noodle Cafe - to what is definitely up there in terms of stupidity: Super Panda.

I always wondered about Hibachi. What is good there?

Spices also delivers, although I would stay away from getting the sushi. Let's just say it goes right threw ya.

Tono Sushi also delivers and isn't half bad for delivery sushi.

Otherwise the pickings are way too slim. There is only so much Chinese that one can eat.

Spicy Noodle and the sit down place next door (in the office building) have been around forever. I have never seen anyone in there, nor do I know anyone who has dined there. Definately "other" business going on.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

This is one of my DC complaints.  There just aren't as many options.

I order from Hibachi Brothers (Tenleytown) rather frequently.  Sushi, hibachi-style dishes, etc.  PLM (the ex!) routinely ordered their chirashi and said "it's not bad."

Mr. Chen's in Woodley Park.  Chinese.  Not my favorite but other people like it.

Delhi Dhaba (Van Ness).  Wouldn't be my overall choice for Indian, but they deliver.

Oh, random aside...in the Van Ness area there are two restaurants that never (EVER) have customers.  I think they are money laundering operations.  Anyway, the Chinese restaurant made the effort to change their name not too long ago from what I had thought was the dumbest name ever - Spicy Noodle Cafe - to what is definitely up there in terms of stupidity:  Super Panda.

I always wondered about Hibachi. What is good there?

Spices also delivers, although I would stay away from getting the sushi. Let's just say it goes right threw ya.

Tono Sushi also delivers and isn't half bad for delivery sushi.

Otherwise the pickings are way too slim. There is only so much Chinese that one can eat.

Spicy Noodle and the sit down place next door (in the office building) have been around forever. I have never seen anyone in there, nor do I know anyone who has dined there. Definately "other" business going on.

Given that it's some sort of "operation" I am very curious to know why they bothered to change the name.

As for Hibachi Brothers...I hesitate to recommend it because, as you well know, I am the pickiest eater alive. I like their beef gyoza (a lot, actually) and the sesame chicken (hold the mushrooms) is ok. Same with the any of the beef entrees.

I believe that Uni in Dupont delivers, if you're interested in some Japanese/sushi.

And for the best fried chicken ever, call up KFC - that is, Kantouri Fried Chicken, on 14th St. Ask them to make sure the chicken is freshly fried. Delish!

Where exactly are you located? Or did you already say...

so many ideas--thanks! Is Kantouri Fried Chicken that good?

two more additions--Saigonnais in Adams Morgan delivers, and Yanyu delivers through a la carte express, but you might want to call the restaurant directly--a bunch of places listed in a la carte express deliver independently for free.

as for me....I realized I'd already finished all _three_ of the water gallons I brought home last night :wacko: so risked melting away and shuffled down the street for pupusas, cabbage, and a couple more gallons.

so many ideas--thanks!  Is Kantouri Fried Chicken that good? 

two more additions--Saigonnais in Adams Morgan delivers, and Yanyu delivers through a la carte express, but you might want to call the restaurant directly--a bunch of places listed in a la carte express deliver independently for free.

as for me....I realized I'd already finished all _three_ of the water gallons I brought home last night :wacko: so risked melting away and shuffled down the street for pupusas, cabbage, and a couple more gallons.

Who knew about Kantouri? I never had the guts to stop and try it :hmmm:

Who delivers from free that also use ala carte?

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

a bunch was way too strong--sorry.

but I've only ordered delivery from three restaurants, all free, and they're all three listed in a la carte for fee: Spices, Meskereem, and Saigonnais.

so not sure about the others, but I'd definitely call a restaurant directly before forking $4 to $8 over to a colorblind website.

I usually find myself ordering from City Lights of China (will deliver up to Tenleytown, I believe). I'm a big fan of the steamed veggie dumplings. Spices does deliver, but has not only a minimum (which I can accept for the DC area), but also charges a $1 surcharge which I disagree with - considering that in NYC rarely is there a minimum and never a surcharge.

I hadn't realized that Indique will deliver. I only knew about pick-up service. This is really exciting news. Woo hoo!

Debbie S. aka "ozgirl"

Squirrel: "Darn nuts! How I long for a grapefruit." - Eddie Izzard

Who knew about Kantouri? I never had the guts to stop and try it

I have eaten Kantouri fried chicken many times--you should try it, trust me. The night before I moved away, I invited people over and ordered a bunch of Kantouri. They also serve some sort of Jamican meat pies, which I've never had. I'm talking about the 14th St store, I believe it's a mini-chain.

I've only eaten in the restaurant once, it's a bit too sketchy for my taste and it's pretty low on the ambience factor.

morda

Edited by morda (log)

Listrani's on MacArthur delivers to Glover Park (where I am now) and I think into Cleveland Park. Decent red checker tablecloth Italian. I like that you can get something other then pizza delivered. They have several nice salads (I like the roast turkey, apple, mozzarella) and you can get entrees (just had their eggplant parmesan -- be sure to ask for sauce on your pasta). They have decent ciabatta rolls that arrives still warm. Menu says $15 minimum but I order less and they never commet or charge fee.

probably repeating some of the previous, but here's my short list of places that deliver for free to my 'hood (Columbia Heights). Some are good, some are not so good:

Jyoti

Taste of India

Polo India Club

Tono

Wok 'n' Roll

Astor

TGI Thai

Spices

Alberto's

Jandara

Mr. Chen's Organic Chinese

Las Marias

Saigonnais

Meskerem

Fasikas

24-7

Taste of Marrakesh

Lahore Kebab

Mount Everest

Pines of Florence

North Sea (bad chinese, but delivers beer and wine)

City Lights

Penang

Pan Asian Noodles

George's

Kantouri

Tamarindo

Spaghetti Garden

And I saw recently that there's a place in Adam's Morgan called East meets West that delivers foot long hot dogs and sushi.

Geeze! No one mentioned Blue Diamond. I live in delivery heaven. Foggy Bottom, near Georgetown. Every place that delivers is usually good for only a few things. Blue Diamond makes an awesome roast pork egg foo young and their soups are OK. Their best point is that they are FAST FAST FAST. Meiwah has some great things, too. I love being able to have Peking Duck delivered. They also have the meatiest, most substantial and tastiest BBQ spare ribs in Washington. Mr. Chen's rocks for one thing: Peking Duck rolls. Order 4 of them. Listrani's pizzas are OK, but they take forever to get delivered. I live a block from a Papa John's, and on the best nights they can be here in 15 minutes. I also cook occasionally.

Mark

• 11 months later...

Mark, Blue Diamond is the most bland and boring Chinese food I have ever tasted! The Bicyclette of Chinese food.

Geeze! No one mentioned Blue Diamond. I live in delivery heaven. Foggy Bottom, near Georgetown. Every place that delivers is usually good for only a few things. Blue Diamond makes an awesome roast pork egg foo young and their soups are OK. Their best point is that they are FAST FAST FAST. Meiwah has some great things, too. I love being able to have Peking Duck delivered. They also have the meatiest, most substantial and tastiest BBQ spare ribs in Washington. Mr. Chen's rocks for one thing: Peking Duck rolls. Order 4 of them. Listrani's pizzas are OK, but they take forever to get delivered. I live a block from a Papa John's, and on the best nights they can be here in 15 minutes. I also cook occasionally.

Edited by DCMark (log)

I just tried Simply Home Cuisine's delivery service last night and was very impressed. (SHC is owned and operated by the same folks that run the Thai restaurant, Rice on 14th street.)

The take-out store is on U street. I'm not sure of their delivery zone, but can vouch that they do deliver to the Logan Circle neighborhood. My meal was delicious and fresh, and their service is prompt, too!

Simply Home site

"Big media today wants to own the faucet, pipeline, water, and the reservoir. The rain clouds come next." - Ted Turner

• 3 years later...

Any updates on DC delivery? We've just got back from a week on the Eastern Shore and haven't the energy to cook or leave the house. Ideally sushi or something spicy. We're staying with friends on Fulton St NW behind the russian embassy.

Thanks.