• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New to Memphis...

lainmemphis

I recently moved to Memphis to write for The Commercial Appeal newspaper. I'm doing food stories, and occasional restaurant reviews, but I'm also writing a blog... http://blog.commercialappeal.com/leslie ...

I have had some great recommendations from readers, some which lead to rather spirited discussions.

Anyone out there in e-gullet land care to offer some suggestions on finding food in and around Memphis??

Thanks!

Welcome to Memphis! I've been at school here for a year and a half. Congratulations on your new job.

I'm a die-hard foodie, and my FAVORITE restaurants are:

ALL IN MIDTOWN:

1. BOSCO'S SQUARED (in a very charming area in Midtown, which has many lovely little places to eat and shop). I recommend going for dinner and ordering the stuffed mushroom appetizer and the pear/gorgonzola/walnut salad, and the gorgonzola chicken

2. Fino's is an old-school Italian lunch spot. Sandwiches and pastas are especially good, but be prepared for the huge portions.

3. Squared Foods is an greatplace to get your favorite obscure/organic goodies. Go to the deli behind it and in front of the movie theater (I can't think of the name right now) for an excellent muffeletta.

4. Memphis pizza cafe: not a must-see, but they have some good stuff.

DOWNTOWN:

5. Sawadii: inexpensive yet elegant Thai food.

6. Huey's (also a location in Midtown) for your burger and toothpick tossing needs.

7. And, of course, any of the restaurants within the Peabody.

Stop by Isaac Hayes in the Peabody Place sometime and say hi... I bartend there!

A few recommendations from a native (that you haven't already covered in your blog or in reviews):

East: Jarrett's, Grove Grill, Lulu Grille, Belmont (burger), Patrick's (veggies)

Midtown: Marena's (bargain $20 meal on Sunday nights), Bari, Paulette's, Cielo, Harry's Detour, 61 en teur, Kwik Check (sandwiches), Brushmark (at Brooks Museum), Cafe 1912

Med Center to downtown: Cielo

There is a Harry's Detour Downtown near the Arcade. Not to be confused with Cafe 61 which (I'm 99% sure) is the same folks that run On Tour. If not, someone correct me.

Edited by Tater (log)

Got my start (sort of) at Another Roadside Attraction Catering and Automatic Slim's so I'm partial to Karen Carrier's food: Slim's, Beauty Shop, Cielo...(although my food is NOTHING like hers now that I've moved on). But, a couple non-Karen tips, if they're still around would be Melange and Bari. Jason Severs, the chef/owner of Bari is not only a great guy but also a great Chef. He and Scott (of Melange) have taught in New York (one-off classes).

I would suggest Seasons at the White Church in Collierville. Sorry if I spelled it wrong, Im a coon-ass. The chefs are from auberge du soliel in Napa. Can you really go wrong?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I would suggest Seasons at the White Church in Collierville. Sorry if I spelled it wrong, Im a coon-ass. The chefs are from auberge du soliel in Napa. Can you really go wrong?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

I would suggest Seasons at the White Church in Collierville.  Sorry if I spelled it wrong, Im a coon-ass.  The chefs are from auberge du soliel in Napa.  Can you really go wrong?

Honest to Pete, that was good enough to repeat.

Seasons at the White Church

Their website is not clear what they did at Auberge du Soleil, however. Admittedly, the website provides some difficulty in viewing, as the contrast is low between the green (I'm sure there is a fancy designer name for it this year, but let me just call it "dark celery") and the white.

It does look nice, though. And those chefs sound like two truly groovy people.

I was never closer to Memphis than Hohenwald. Anyone here's ever heard of Hohenwald, I'll buy you a drink when you come to Santa Cruz.

Wally Joe's is a very good, fine-dining spot. I'm not from Memphis, so my experience is limited, but I had an excellent meal there. (You'll have to get the location form someone else, though).

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been to the Beauty Shop twice (pretty good since I live in CA) and believe you should give it a try. Last summer they had really nice crisp shrimp.

For BBQ, cozy corner or interstate. Don't go to the Rendezvous unless you accompany a serious regular patron. (you can tell b/c you won't wait for a table and you won't actually order at all) Even then, it's just for fun and beer.

I wouldn't rush to Huey's, enough other people will take you there that you'll get tired of it. I miss Belmont's chicken livers, but I'll admit I'm weird.

Fino's is a must-visit on every trip for me. The family that runs the place is top-notch. Perfect every-saturday lunchtime hangout. Now I need a panini. My mom can't ever remember what it's called, so in my family it's "the small greasy one" but everybody wants it every time.

I haven't been to Cielo in over a year, but I did love it and I doubt it has changed.

Looking forward to trying Seasons at the white church next time I get to town!

• 2 weeks later...
I was never closer to Memphis than Hohenwald. Anyone here's ever heard of Hohenwald, I'll buy you a drink when you come to Santa Cruz.

Were you there for the dig store? :smile: I'll look you up next time I'm in Santa Cruz...I prefer bourbon...

Edited by pogophiles (log)

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anybody name some other restaurants where you can get out for less than $20 per person? I'm a student foodie, and anything more than $15 pp is too much. I'll get my parents to take me to Cielo's when they're in town, though. :wink:

Saigon Le in midtown is very inexpensive and very good. Order from the vietnamese section of the menu (maybe called "salty"? It's been a while) for more interesting choices, not the really inexpensive chinese lunch specials.

When I was a student in Memphis we liked to sit at the bar at cafe society and get soup, salad and a drink, especially later in the evening. You could definitely do that for under $20 if you don't drink too much, and you still feel like you had something special.

My advice for student foodies on a budget is to favor ethnic spots and unique casual restaurants, and to watch for bargains at non-prime times at the fancier places. Often lunch is less expensive than dinner (I think lunch at Cielo would be just under $20) and some restaurants run specials at happy hour, late at night or early in the week. Use your flexible student schedule to your advantage!

There is a very good pizza place in Cooper-Young, on Young, with really great topping choices. Carry-out, buy your own drinks. Cheap. Can't remember the name to save my life. Pizzas have names like sun and moon, it may be "pie in the sky" or something like that. Yummy thin crust, not drowning in red sauce.

Our favorite cheap place is Taqueria Guadalupana on Summer. For something a little nicer, try Cafe 1912. I've also heard a few places have bar/patio menus that are cheaper than the regular menu. Finally, my wife and I ate at Do sushi in C-Y the other night for $50, tax & tip included with a $6 beer and a $8 glass of wine.

Our favorite cheap place is Taqueria Guadalupana on Summer. For something a little nicer, try Cafe 1912. I've also heard a few places have bar/patio menus that are cheaper than the regular menu. Finally, my wife and I ate at Do sushi in C-Y the other night for $50, tax & tip included with a $6 beer and a $8 glass of wine.

Oh, man, I miss Guadalupana...great place. Is that French place by Wild Oats still open? Bar menu at Melange is good.

Moving beyond Memphis Bar-B-Que for a moment (Yeah, I know it's difficult, but SOMEONE has to do it <grin>), Raji Jallepalli has for years run one of, if not the BEST Indian restaurant in America right there in Memphis.

The East India Company was a regular Thursday night event for a group of us "hired guns" brought in to work on a large IS project in the early '90s. We'd arrive and simply ask Raji to "Keep it coming" and we'd enjoy an amazing feasts time after time. As an added benefit, she had a British waiter who understood the magic of applying Gin to Tonic and showed such skill in doing so that not one of us EVER showed the slightest sign of Malaria the entire year we were there.

Sadly, on my last trip through Memphis I found that the East India Company is no more, BUT Mrs. Jallepalli continues on at her NEW restaurant , "Raji".

- Tom

Tom Tyson

I'm stunned - What a terible loss.

Do you know any of the details - Please, if so e-mail me off line.

Raji was always so proud of her country of origin and her restaurant. She always seemed genuinely happy to see us coming through the door (in spite of the fact that we almost always dropped in without warning) and during every meal with her she continually brought us extra things to try and comment on. I think one evening we were served at least 10 distinctly different chutneys and six different breads - the theme for the evening seemed to be "Let them eat Bread" (ignoring the 15 or so other courses presented us that evening) - we *NEVER* waddled out in less than three and a half or four hours.

I think I remember someone asking her one evening how she got started in the business and as I recall she said that as far as the restaurant business and cooking for large groups ws concerned, she was self taught and had never attended a cullinary school - I may have this wrong, but I don't think so.

What a terible loss for her family and us all, but even in that I will cherish the memories of those meals and her smiling face all the more. - Thank you for relaying the news of her passing.

- Tom Tyson

Tom Tyson