• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

?'s on Au Bon Accueil/L'Affriole and Cap Vernet

Gabrielle

Thanks for all the suggestions re:dining with a child and hostess gift so far-they are greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if any one could give me any comments specifically on Au Bon Accueil and L'Affriole. Both have been given thumbs up by P. Wells. Based on my reading, both seem to offer pleasant, charming dining expreriences? Comments? And, Although I am totally confident of her manners, would either be more welcoming to a 9 year old?

Additionally, I have found very little in the way of anecdotal info on Guy Savoy's Cap Vernet. Has anybody been there? Is this a good choice or is one of his other BabyBs a better choice? (Been to Bookinistes back in 1998-ouch).

Any and all opinions appreciated.

Thank you.

Gabrielle

I was going to compose a longer answer to your earlier enquiry based on my two month experience taking a 4 year old to lunch everyday in Paris (which was no problem, indeed as someone else commented, I often got a very warm receptive welcome due to her presence; and I took her to everything from Vietnamese dives to L'Huitrier to real white table-cloth dazzlers). The only thing you should be prepared for is the fact that you may be the only table with a child; unless grandma takes a grandkid to lunch during a a vacation or there's a family visiting from elsewhere in Europe, almost no restaurant is a family place.

As to Bon Accueil and Cap Vernet, I think both would be fine with kids; I have not eaten with or without kids at L'Affriole for too long a time to comment.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I ate at Au Bon Accueil, eek, it's now almost four years ago. Anyway, both my husband and I loved it back then. It is a small, charming restaurant with very good service. I cannot imagine they would have a problem with a nine year old.

Thruthfully though, I am not sure how much my thoughts are worth since it has been so long since I was there. :sad:

I ate at Cap Vernet about 3 years ago and loved it. I would have been back but there are always so many other places to try. Some tables have a nice view of the Arc d'Triomphe.

Another Savoy bistro I liked quite a bit was the Bisto de l'Etoile Lauriston. It is in the same general area as Cap Vernet.

I was wondering if any one could give me any comments specifically on Au Bon Accueil and L'Affriole. Both have been given thumbs up by P. Wells.

When was Wells' most recent review? Although the chef owner is the same, Au Bon Accueil has changed format in the last year or so, and is serving more upscale, rather than bistro food. It is also overall significantly more expensive, although I believe that they do maintain an inexpensive option. Regardless, I'm sure that there would be no problem bringing a child.

We ate at Bon Accueil last month and had a wonderful dinner. It is a bit more upscale than I thought it would be, but I wouldn't hesitate to bring my own 9 year old there. The service was friendly and very accomodating. When the woman of the couple we were with asked for her salad dressing "on the side" (and I was praying the floor would open up and swallow me :blink: ), the waiter didn't even blink. They even brought the shallots in a separate dish.

They offer a 29€ menu that has several options for starters and main courses and a choice from the full dessert menu.

Another option would be Chez L'Ami Jean, which has been getting great reviews lately. It's also in the 7th, on rue Malar, and offers Basque specialties on a tapas-style menu. We were sorry not to have made it there *sigh*. Too many restaurants, too little time.

I was very unimpressed with L'Affriolé the one time I was there. Average food, and cold service. I really don't see what all the fuss is (was) about. AS for Cap Vernet, I think this is an excellent seafood bistro, much better than any of the area seafood restaurants, like the very over-rated and pricey Bistro de Marius. Bistro de l'Etoile has not been run by Guy Savoy for years now, and I've been unimpressed every time I went there. Au Bon Accueil used to be good value, I guess, but I haven't been there recently. I think they may have a problem with consistancy , as I once had an unfresh pigeon, and they refused to believe me...

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog