• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Racial Discriminiation Outrage at Eden Cafe

slkinsey

Thanks for that Sam. I thought this was a very interesting story when you first posted it and I'm glad the outcome is such a win-win for everyone.

Hopefully the former manager has changed industries. I can't imagine being the subject of a "Shame on You" segment did much to raise his stock in the restaurant industry, at least locally in NYC.

God, I hope he hasn't moved to Philly! :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Perhaps it's time to stop in for a drink.

Thanks for adding that--from my past in direct action protesting, I know it's far easier to get people to boycott something than it is to get them to give support when the problem has been addressed.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I'm very glad they resolved this, because the martinis are good.

Skip it on weekend evenings, though, unless you want to be in the midst of a swarm of undergrads. :blink: They intimidate me.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Shame on you just ran a follow up on Eden Cafe. 

The report said that Eden paid a fine of around $10k and also settled with the original complainant for a similar amount.  The owner turned out to be a person of color himself, which puts to rest any questions I might have had as to the origins of the racism troubles there.

You assume that a person "of color" cannot or will not discriminate against others of his own color? My experiences and observations persuade me otherwise.

Yes... thanks for the update and if I lived in NYC I would stop in for a drink to show my support. It's a sad fact that such things still go on elsewhere. sometimes subtle and other times not so subtle. I ran into such a situation last week when going out for dinner with my former GF, her adult sons and her sister (they are all people of color). We were staying out near BWI aiport and there are only thre restaurants in the area. At the first one, the young assistant hostess immediately informed us that it would be "about 30 minutes or perhaps a bit longer" to get a table. The "senior" hostess looked up, took a quick glance and said "No... she's wrong... we have no idea when a table would be available for a party of five". It was transparent and pitiful - there was no attempt to pretend anything else. After a polite additional question she insisted that no estimate could be made and it was our choice whether to wait or not. We walked out and had a good dinner elsewhere - everyone had traveled too many hours to be bothered with further protests and sadly, it was hardly the first time that any of us had seen this.

Personally, I think Alan Bresson should have paid the fine.

By law, the employer is liable for criminal acts of discrimination that an employee commits in the course of performing his duties on the job. It's good policy, actually, to give employers incentive to supervise and not just turn a blind eye. Also, as a practical matter, many restaurant employees do not have the money to pay the hefty fines for racial discrimination; therefore, fining employees and letting employers off the hook would emasculate the laws against discrimination.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

I ran into such a situation last week when going out for dinner with my former GF, her adult sons and her sister (they are all people of color).

There you are . . . hanging out with your ex-girlfriends again. :hmmm:

Noise is music. All else is food.