• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last Gasp of Winter...

Kim WB

Herre in the NY metro area, we're expecting our (hopefully!) last winter storm of the season..and it will be falling on the first of the crocus buds..soon enough the warmer weather will be here, and we'll be sharing recipes for marinades and lighter fare,

Until then, what are your final hearty, winter, snow day recipes that you're going to get one more meal out of?

I defrosted a ham hock, and plan to get Split Pea Soup in the Crock Pot soon. I found some short ribs in the freezer as well, so braising them might be tomorrow's snow day project. Over the Weekend, my husband will get one more Prime Rib Roast until next Football Season...these all shout "winter" to me, and will not be be made again until the fall.

edit: spelling: whether, wether, weather..never could keep them straight.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

It was 87 degrees here yesterday. The orange blossoms and honeysuckle were vying for my attention as I was out & about running errands. Winter is nothing but a bad memory now. Given how hot it is, I just hope we haven't skipped Spring!

As for Winter dishes, I have cauliflower waiting to be oven-roasted. I'm also eager to try the oven-baked beans that have been discussed here on eGullet but I'm not sure I want to crank up the oven given how hot it's been here.

And with this warm weather, I'm wondering if there's a way to barbecue cauliflower. Hmmm...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

With me, its a seasonal thing. I couldn't imagine living down south without the extremes of climate we have up here. In summer, we look forward to slow simmered stews with sauces, rich baked goods, sweet winter vegetables etc. In winter we look forward to grilled burgers, sates, and koftas with salsas and fresh produce.

We once tried pulled pork with cole slaw and baked beans in the dark of February but it just didn't taste right. It goes with sultry summer evenings out in the garden.

Pot roast just isn't the same on a sweltering summer day.

So we keep the grill packed away for the winter and look forward to the real celebration of unpacking it and stoking it up in April.

With me, its a seasonal thing. I couldn't imagine living down south without the extremes of climate we have up here. In summer, we look forward to slow simmered stews with sauces, rich baked goods, sweet winter vegetables etc. In winter we look forward to grilled burgers, sates, and koftas with salsas and fresh produce.

We once tried pulled pork with cole slaw and baked beans in the dark of February but it just didn't taste right. It goes with sultry summer evenings out in the garden.

Pot roast just isn't the same on a sweltering summer day.

So we keep the grill packed away for the winter and look forward to the real celebration of unpacking it and stoking it up in April.