• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competiton: Round Nineteen

OK, it's too late for Athens, or even Beijing. But let's enter a couple of demonstration sports for the 2012 Olympics. Perhaps we could have a warmup (quick pass under the salamander) on a tennis court in Raleigh in October.

Where would an eGullet brigade sweep the medals? At what events would we excel? How will we ensure that it's the eGullet Ensign that floats above our heads at the winner's stand? (Extra points if you provide the eGullet international anthem.)

Name the event, the scoring system, the uniform. the equipment -- yes, there will be points for Artistic Expression here at the Smackdown.

Men's Synchronized Spatchcocking? In Speedos? Team Turnip Tournee? I bet we could get Cauliflower Curling into the Summer Games.

Beat the stopclock, or the kitchen timer. Post 'em here!

(Props to the ever-fertile brain of Chad Ward, who gave me the grain of this idea back on the Writer's Block Smackdown)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Um, Maggie, I'm new to this racket, so please forgive me if I'm asking something dumb or something that's been answered elsewhere (note to self: in future do not post before first cup of coffee), but, well... did someone actually win Round Eighteen? How and where is such an event signalized?

Also - just checking, as I think I know the answer to this one - am I right in thinking that deadlines on these things (other than predetermined ones like, say, Valentine's Day) are ad hoc? i.e., We Just Don't Know when this round will close?

Men's Synchronized Spatchcocking? In Speedos? Team Turnip Tournee? I bet we could get Cauliflower Curling into the Summer Games.

You jest, but if I recall correctly, tournament bridge is now some sort of Olympic sport. Can some sort of Iron Chef event be far behind?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 3 weeks later...
Um, Maggie, I'm new to this racket, so please forgive me if I'm asking something dumb or something that's been answered elsewhere (note to self: in future do not post before first cup of coffee), but, well... did someone actually win Round Eighteen? How and where is such an event signalized?

Also - just checking, as I think I know the answer to this one - am I right in thinking that deadlines on these things (other than predetermined ones like, say, Valentine's Day) are ad hoc? i.e., We Just Don't Know when this round will close?

Lisa:

All your questions are on point, and you are the last thing but dumb!

Yes, Round Eighteen has been judged, and winners chosen. Getting them posted to the Daily Gullet requires some time from a busy person who both understands the mechanics of our content manager and can find time in his/her life to actually push the announcements to the Front Page. (Um, I am not one of those smart tech types.) Someone is working on it right now, and Watch That Space tomorrow.

About the deadline: In theory, it's midnight Sunday a fortnight after the competition has been announced. This has worked, oh, 75% of the time. But there's always leeway -- if a topic is particularly popular, I might let it stay up for another week. OTOH, if a topic starts slowly and builds towards the end of the second week, I might extend the deadline.

Short answer: It just depends.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Maggie,

I was wondering why the only winner showing up on the Round 19 announcement is the 3rd place champion, yellow truffle. Technical glitch? Esoteric mystery of eGullet Competitions? Are only the initiated able to see the 1st and 2nd place winners?

Just, you know, checking.

Ingrid

Edited by ingridsf (log)

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Good question, sharp-eyed reader (and writer!) In a perfect world, third place is announced on Monday, second on Wednesday and first of Friday. Occasionally the folks who can actually drive the content to the front page of TDG are -- gasp! -- busy taking care of their lives away from eGullet, so a joint announcement is posted in the interests of saving time. I think we're back in three- announcements - the suspense-is-unbearable mode.

Now everyone get their smartypants selves over to Round Twenty, and deck the halls with boughs of pretzels!

(It's not just for the glory of the thing, you know. I mail the Big Winner a pretty decent prize!)

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com

(It's not just for the glory of the thing, you know. I mail the Big Winner a pretty decent prize!)

Indeed she does! I received "The Good Cookie" just in time for last December's holiday baking. Thanks again, Maggie!

(It's not just for the glory of the thing, you know.  I mail the Big Winner a pretty decent prize!)

Indeed she does! I received "The Good Cookie" just in time for last December's holiday baking. Thanks again, Maggie!

De rien, chere GG.

Margaret McArthur

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

margaretmcarthur.com