• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London Saturday Lunch

I am changing planes in London on 3/27 (Saturday), and have a seven-hour layover.

My first choice for lunch was St. John, but they aren't open on Saturday for lunch. My second choice was Gordon Ramsey, but they're not open at all on Saturday.

I figured that before I continued along these lines, I would ask the assembled for advice.

Where should I eat Saturday lunch?

Price is not a consideration, but I don't need to go to an expensive resaurant. I am interested in a worthy food experience.

Any suggestions?

Anyone want to join me?

Bruce

Which airport? Heathrow is West west west and Gatwick is South south south. The former is 20 mins train from Paddington, and the latter 40 mins from Victoria.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

You can get the Gatwick Express which is only 30 minutes. Nevertheless, you'll need to be in and out quite quickly I would have thought to make your connection. If you are landing at Heathrow, Fat Duck or The Waterside Inn is a 20 minute taxi ride away (probably quite an expensive taxi ride however).

Which airport? Heathrow is West west west and Gatwick is South south south. The former is 20 mins train from Paddington, and the latter 40 mins from Victoria.

Heathrow. I'll take the train in. There'll be more than enough time.

Bruce

You can get the Gatwick Express which is only 30 minutes. Nevertheless, you'll need to be in and out quite quickly I would have thought to make your connection. If you are landing at Heathrow, Fat Duck or The Waterside Inn is a 20 minute taxi ride away (probably quite an expensive taxi ride however).

Actually, the Fat Duck (or Waterside Inn, but I've already eaten there) is a fantastic suggestion for lunch.

Are they open on Saturday for lunch?

Bruce

The Waterside Inn is an excellent suggestion and would have been my recommendation too. A few of us are venturing to Bray for a Saturday lunch in late April. We have only ever had dinner there in the past, so I would welcome your comments about lunch Schenier. Have fun.

B

I just had a fantastic lunch there, or would certainly request a place...

Everyone I was with anticipated one or more dishes that they wouldn't be able to eat - and each time it was overcome simply by how good everything tasted.

I'll spread the word.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Bruce - am most jealous. However, my parents are in town that weekend, so unless you'd like lunch with me + two mad elderly Scottish people, I'll have to pass. Dammit! would have loved to foster the pioneering international spirit of eGullet! hope it's a corker.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

I would not venture a trip and a good meal in the city given that short a window.

Lunch at noon; flight at five? Even if lunch takes three hours, I still have two hours to get to the airport and on my plane. Remember, I'm changing planes. I will already have my luggage there. I will already have my boarding pass. All I have to do is get through security. It will be more than enough time.

Bruce

I'm leaving tonight....

I have a taxi scheduled to pick me up at the airport tomorrow morning, and anothe to take me back to the airport after lunch. Much cheaper than a black cab, and cheaper than I expected.

I'll post a report on a Fat Duck thread--if there is one--when I return.

Thanks Andy Lynes for the excellent suggestion.

Bruce

Bruce, a pleasure and I hope you enjoy it. I think you'll have tons of time for lunch and to make your plane, especially as you are not actually heading into the city. Just sorry I can't join you (dog sitting over the weekend whilst the rest of my family whoops it up at a ruby wedding anniversary).