• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC wine merchants

badthings

from another thread:

Maybe I should post it in the wine forum, but does anyone have opinions on the relative merits of Italian Wine Merchants (Bastianich's store, on E 16th), and Vino (on E 24th)? I might have to pick up some Italian wine on my next visit.

Obviously, the answer, in the form of resounding silence, was that I should post it in the wine forum.

Related: any suggestions for a place with good prices and a wide and/or quirky selection, particularly of sparklers? My sister is poor and lives in NY and loves Champagne, and I'm trying to explain to her the joys of cheap bubbly.

Best place I know for quirky selections, low prices and a staff that is incredibly helpful in picking out wines is Nancy's Wines on Columbus around 74th Street. Nancy's turned me on to the joys of Prosecco, and they offer the excellent Nino Franco Prosecco Rustico for something like 15 bucks a bottle.

Another great place for bargains and quirky selections is PJ Wine way up on Broadway and 204th Street. PJ has more of a "bargain warehouse" atmosphere, though, and the staff are not nearly as helpful in selecting bottles as they are at Nancy's. That said, if you can engage the wine buyer, he can steer you to some interesting stuff.

As for Italian Wine Merchants, this place is more for the serious Italian wine drinker with seriously deep pockets. Most of the wines they sell there are priced North of 50 bucks a bottle.

I've never been, but Vino sounds interesting and more reasonably priced.

--

For Italian wine specifically, there is a place across the street from i Trulli. I don't recall the name of it, but I do recall the prices being fairly steep.

For "quirky" wines, I'd suggest Chambers Street wines. Good Champagne and Loire selections. For the bubbles, a lot of small producer wines.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

For Italian wine specifically, there is a place across the street from i Trulli.  I don't recall the name of it, but I do recall the prices being fairly steep.

For "quirky" wines, I'd suggest Chambers Street wines.  Good Champagne and Loire selections.  For the bubbles, a lot of small producer wines.

Vino is the place across from I Trulli. Nice, but indeed expensive. Same thing with Italian Wine Merchants- if you want collectable Italians with impeccable provenance and aren't price-conscious, it's the place for you.

Chambers St. has a small Italian section, but usually interesting mostly traditional producers (in Piemonte the 2 Mascarellos, etc.). The Champagne section has some interesting artisanal producers, especially the Thiese imports. They also have interesting bubblies from the Loire, Bugey, Italy, etc.

Generally Garnet and PJs vie for best prices in town, sometimes Astor. But haven't bought much Italian at either. Gotham and Garnet tend to have the most inexpensive (under-$20) Champagnes from the small houses.

Outside the city (but I think both delivering for free if $100 order) you might try Zachy's or Rochambeau. Zachy's everyday prices are high, but sales can be good deals. Last month '98 Marcarini Brunate Barolo for $33, they've had good closeout prices on the unhyped '95(but good imho) & '96 (not an ager, but good ones tasty now) Brunelli. Rochambeau has good everyday prices on a lot of Tuscans and Piemontes (though they tend to stock more new-wave producers, there are some traditionalists too).

Wine Library and Gary's in NJ seem to have a lot of Tuscans in their mailers.

Hope this helps,

Mt. Carmel Wines on 187th Street and Arthur Avenue has the best selection of Italian wines in NYC. Grab a sandwich at Mike's Deli after you buy a few cases and you have a very enjoyable day.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty." --Kramer