• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

omuraisu

That Omuraisu thing looks like something you would eat if you were really inebriated... frankly so does Jiyuken

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have to admit to absolutely hating omuraisu :biggrin:

It is immensely popular here, there are restaurants that make only omuraisu, it is a typical dish found on kids menus and some variation on it for adults at almost every family restaurant and it is a very popular food at home for both lunch and dinner.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm sorry but an omlette with ketchup on top of it filled with ketchup flavored fried rice is something one would eat if you are either piss drunk or are baked out of your skull, or convalescing from said activities the next morning.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm sorry but an omlette with ketchup on top of it filled with ketchup flavored fried rice is something one would eat if you are either piss drunk or are baked out of your skull, or convalescing from said activities the next morning.

tell that to millions of children in Japan! :biggrin:

My kids love this stuff too and often order it when we are out as I refuse to make it at home!

That Omuraisu thing looks like something you would eat if you were really inebriated... frankly so does Jiyuken

I don't think it sounds that bad taste-wise, but the presentation makes the red sauce look a little like it's coming out of a chest wound.

Probably another victim of dish on dish violence...sad... :wink:

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

tell that to millions of children in Japan! :biggrin:

My kids love this stuff too and often order it when we are out as I refuse to make it at home!

I ate this frequently as a kid. I thought the color was really cool.

It is the perfect thing to feed children...kids love ketchup, I have trouble getting my nieces to actually eat their fries. They use them as sticks to dip into the ketchup and suck the ketchup off.

I personally love omurice... not that I make it the traditional way with the ketchup rice.

Try... rice fried in butter with bacon and garlic, add chopped celery if you like or a bit of pickled mustard greens if you want a little bit of that bitter kick.

I then make the omelette, put the rice inside and shake shake shake the pan to create your rolled over omelette.

You can put a squiggle of ketchup on top as an homage to the original version!

While it doesn't look appetizing, if adorned properly, these omuraisu can be a great hangover cure...

Scrape off the ketchup. Make an anterior to posterier incision in the omlette covering. Peel back the egg, exposing the rice. Liberally douse the rice with tabasco, or Louisanna Hot Sauce. Replace the egg covering. Mix in some fresh wasabi paste, ( or if not available, wasabi paste from the tube) into the ketchup on the side. Use this paste to "close" the egg incision. Eat. With the absence of good Mexican food here, this mixture of carbs and spices will go a long way to curing what ails you.

MM

With the absence of good Mexican food here, this mixture of carbs and spices will go a long way to curing what ails you.

Have you tried Salsita... just behind Ebisu Station (the Hibiya line one) along the tracks? It's a little place with one four top and maybe eight to ten counter seats.

Salsita

Ebisu-Nishi 1-3-2

5489-9020

Perhaps I'm so starved for Mexican food after living in Seoul that my tastebuds have gone to sleep, but I really liked it. And it's pretty damn reasonable too.

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.

The kids and I made a trip to the local conbini (convenience store) to pick up lunch today. Daughter Julia picked out the omuraisu bento :angry: cost about US$2.50

i4471.jpg

Being a lifelong white rice eater, I thought omuraisu was sheer disgusting sacrilege for the longest time. But for whatever reason, I've grown to like it in the last couple years. Not often, but just a few times a year. I like to make mine with sauteed caramelized finely chopped shallots and bacon.

I like omuraisu topped with curry sauce too.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

As I read the posts, I'm beginning to wonder what makes many of you hate omuraisu so much. Is it the combination of ketchup and rice? Do you hate Napolitan spaghetti of the Japanese style, too?

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/reito/457250/494801/

Do you eat a hot dog without ketchup?

I'm curious to know.

As I read the posts, I'm beginning to wonder what makes many of you hate omuraisu so much. Is it the combination of ketchup and rice? Do you hate Napolitan spaghetti of the Japanese style, too?

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/reito/457250/494801/

Do you eat a hot dog without ketchup?

I'm curious to know.

Hiroyuki,

welcome to egullet! :biggrin:

now to your question, for myself it is the combination of ketchup and eggs,i am not a big ketchup fan and normally only eat it on hamburgers and really bad french firies. :biggrin:

I can't stand napolitan spaghetti either, my Italian grandmother would probably disown me for eating it...... :biggrin:

I cannot believe that so many people hate Omuraisu. What's wrong with you all?! :shock:

Omuraisu was my favorite food when I was a child. That's the only thing I ate at a restaurant. My grandmother always made me Omuraisu when I visited her. I love Omuraisu!

Kristin! That Omuraisu bento looks so yummy!!! :wub:

Edited by ankomochi (log)

Check out the latest meal!

Itadakimasu

I make an omuraisu-inspired dish by filling an omelet (standard or rolled) with plain or buttered rice. Yum.

I think they call it fusion.

There is a similar recipe in traditional Thai cooking, with the stuffing ranging from rice to ground meat.

-- Jason

There is a similar recipe in traditional Thai cooking, with the stuffing ranging from rice to ground meat.

Two different dishes that are similar.

Kai yat sai -- This is the one where the thin omelet is rolled around a filling, often containing rice.

Kai jiaow -- This one is also delicious but a little les "composed"...a bit more of a classic omelet than a stuffed omelet.

At the table, I love to season these with sri racha, but I'll slap you if you come near them with catsup.

Yum....khit theung meung thai...

Jim

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.