• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Guinness & Champagne ...

Priscilla

I've been advised by more than one English person that Guinness mixed half-and-half with Champagne is called a Black & Tan. However, there are some people, of various origins including English, who insist that the half-and-half Guinness/Champagne drinkie is a Black Velvet.

Both are nice enough names. But which is correct? I don't want to be calling my drink by the wrong name tonight right in front of the beef braised in Guinness and the salad with Irish cream dressing and the brown soda bread, do I.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I was served my first Black Velvet by bartender Patrick O'Sullivan at the Seppi's Irish Whiskey Dinner. It is made with Guinness and champagne.

A Black and Tan is made with equal parts Guinness and bitters/pale ale (often either Harp or Bass), and makes a nice effect with the stout is poured slowly down the stem of a bar spoon into the glass so it forms a distinct layer above the lager. I am given to understand that the layering trick is a largely American-Irish affectation, though.

--

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite has always been a Snake Bite, half Guinness and half hard cider preferably a good pear cider when available! :wub:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

A Black and Tan is made with equal parts Guinness and bitters/pale ale (often either Harp or Bass)

In Ireland they'll usually make them with Harp and Guinness, but only American tourists order them :wink:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Snake bite is actually supposed to be hard cider and lager (such as harp)

Guiness and Harp is usually called "Half and half".

As far as black velvet: I've been thinking of one involving Gueuze instead of the Champagne. Maybe an imperial stout.

where i come from, a snakebite is a shot of yukon jack with lemon.

That's what I thought, too, only with lime.

I must say I am not fond of Guinness + bubbly. Not fond at all. It's like drinking sourdough starter.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Why on earth would you ruin the Champagne that way??? :blink:

LOL why would you ruin Guinness that way?! Actually... its quite good. I wouldn't do it with a vintage champagne... but I like Black Velvets, a lot.

but I think stout goes with all kinds of things. I was offered an interesting after dinner drink at one of my fave Seattle restaurants: a glass of Guinness with a float of ruby port on top. Yes, the flavors worked together, quite well.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Why on earth would you ruin the Champagne that way??? :blink:

LOL why would you ruin Guinness that way?! Actually... its quite good. I wouldn't do it with a vintage champagne... but I like Black Velvets, a lot.

but I think stout goes with all kinds of things. I was offered an interesting after dinner drink at one of my fave Seattle restaurants: a glass of Guinness with a float of ruby port on top. Yes, the flavors worked together, quite well.

Fair enough, but I think one would have to use the "cheapie mixing Brut" that one uses for Mimosas and such. It'd be a shame to sully either beverage with the other of equal "authentic" caliber, would it not?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was offered an interesting after dinner drink at one of my fave Seattle restaurants: a glass of Guinness with a float of ruby port on top. Yes, the flavors worked together, quite well.

Gross. And this coming from someone who absolutely adores irish car bombs.

I was offered an interesting after dinner drink at one of my fave Seattle restaurants: a glass of Guinness with a float of ruby port on top. Yes, the flavors worked together, quite well.

Gross. And this coming from someone who absolutely adores irish car bombs.

don't knock it till you've tried it.

Born Free, Now Expensive

I work at a friend's Irish pub on occassion and have had people ask for a Black Velvet with a float of Chambord...I am sure that, when this happens, dear old Arthur turns over in his grave! :)

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

i'm worrying myself, because everytime i read the word lager i'm pronouncing it "largah" in my head. I've been hanging around too many northerner brits.

in any case a black velvet sounds very intriguing.

Thank you everyone for carrying on with this -- Black Velvets (as I now call them, if not in the presence of the Englishpersons who brought them to my attention under the Black & Tan monicker) are a very very good drink.

We have always used inexpensive Freixenet cava, Carta Nevada or Cordon Negro, for this drink. I like how the Guinness softens and elevates the sparkling.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

• 3 weeks later...

This song is often played during "Buzz's Garage" radio show on WMSE (you can find them here). The show is on (live) Fridays from 12:00p - 3:00p central time. I can't remember how many weeks ago I last heard the song or I would direct you to one of the archived shows.

It is a very good song.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN