• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baking Supplies

My friends have asked me to make the cake for their wedding in September and I realized that there are quite a few things I need before I can seriously get started (as in start sweating from the pressure). Anyway, I am looking for the best supply store to get all of my wedding cake baking needs. I usually just go to this little kitchen store close to home, but they do not have all of the items I require so I figured, who better to ask then all of you local e-gulleters.

Thnks for the help.

Edit: changed from October to September...that could have been ugly!!

Edited by Jerry_A (log)

I haven't specifically looked for wedding cake supplies, but Gourmet Warehouse at 1856 Pandora has a large selection of all things food related, at reasonable prices.

I usually find what I "need" there, as well as lots that I just "want"! :laugh:

Hi Jerry, didn't realize you were an amateur baker! I assume you're talking about equipment, not ingredients? Tools & Techniques inWest Vancouver carries lots of pans and utensils. Ming Wo in Chinatown has a good selection and helpful staff (I went in to buy a rice paddle and came home with a rice cooker, best appliance purchase ever). Are you making a fruitcake? Just a warning: I bought candied fruit from Galloway's and later discovered a mini ant invasion came with it. As for shelled nuts, well good luck finding something that hasn't gone bitter or rancid after too long on the shelves. Crack your own for best results. As the beleagured Martha Stewart would say, it's a good thing....

Yes, very amateur. I'm hoping that having a little confidence, a little experience, and 6 months to work out the kinks will be enough to get me through.

Never heard of Tools & Techniques, I'll have to give it a look. I'll probably try Gourmet Warehouse as well, but I'll have to be careful not to walk out of there with a maxed credit card.

Fortunately I will not have to worry about those little critters in my fruit because the cake (as it sits in my mind right now) is going to be just plain chocolate filled with blackberry preserves and blackberry mousse covered with white chocolate buttercream and finally all covered with white chocolate ganache. Although this may change drastically after this weekend when I start the flavour testing.

Jerry: I too like Ming Wo in Chinatown and the Cookshop in Market Square. For ingredients, have you checked out Famous Foods at 1595 Kingsway between Knight & Victoria? I find they often have products that are difficult to find elsewhere and they have such a big turnover that their baking products are fresh. Good luck with your cake! :smile:

A friend of mine is taking the cake decorating course at the cookshop (she LOVES it by the way) and she got some of her supplies there but most of them at Michael's craft warehouse, which apparently has better prices for the same items.

Go figure huh?

By the way...if you are handing out samples of the cake... :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Okay, all those places above are good, but I've found the BEST selection and prices for all things for cake decorating/weddings, and whatever else. Go out to Surrey to a place called Scoop n Save. They have EVERYTHING in the way of tools, supplies, etc. The name is misleading but go there, it's worth the trip out. When I took a wedding cake course at Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts, the instructor got all his supplies there too.

The other place with the absolute best prices for things like boards, pans, anything Wilton, fondant and pretty much anything else to do with baking is Nicholson's Equipment in Burnaby. They are a wholesaler to bakeries but it is a little known fact that public can buy things there too and there is no minimum orders required.

I'm a kid in a candy store at both places! Good luck!

I bought a lot of my baking equipment (spatulas, pans, etc.) at Russels at 1255 Venables and VCC School on Pender Street. These are restaurant quality stuff.

You may also find restaurant quality equipment at...believe it or not...Superstore.

I saw a small Silpat for $24 (which usually sell at cookshops for $29.) I also bought a Nordic bundt pan and mini bundt pan for $20 each (when they had it in the flyer.) Stores generally have them priced at over $35! I also saw heavy-duty aluminum pans, too.

I've bought el-cheapo stuff at the store on Commercial Drive, I believe it is called the kitchen store. I bought removable-bottom mini tart pans there for dirt cheap. It's the exact same thing I used when I worked at a bakery.

Also, you can buy stuff at Snowcap Enterprise. They generally sell to retail but you can buy stuff as a walk-in customer. Call them first though as that may have changed. They are located at 2271 Vaux Hal Place in Richmond. They have things you will never find in a regular store, such as non-melt icing sugar. Imagine sprinkling this on fruit or moist tarts and it stays powdery white for hours.

Finally, Sugar Art at 110 - 1200 1st Ave in Steveston, Richmond. Dominique Jarry specializes in wedding cakes and sugar art. I've bought a few hard to find things there. Call him first to make sure the store is opened as he is usually out and store hours are far and few in between. The number is 604-271-8803

I generally don't like shopping at the regular retail stores as their prices are not so great and they tend to sell things more for the look of the product rather than restaurant/bakery quality products.

Hope this helps. :smile: