• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Way to Cook Bacon: Soft/Crisp? Fry/Bake/Microwave?

Wilfrid

I always do it for (I'm guessing here) about an hour at 350º, but I usually serve it slightly before it becomes totally shatterable. I've never run into bacon that's too tough to eat like this. Did you change bacon brands? It sounds like yours is too lean. If so, you should buy a fattier brand. Otherwise, it's just pork jerky. :rolleyes:

I'd have to think of three things: the brand of bacon, its thickness, and when you remove it from the oven. My thought is that there will be residual heat in the meat that will continue to cook it before it is served. I'm not a master at this because the brand of bacon that I prefer (Neuske's...from Wisc.) tends to come packaged as a thicker slice...and I really can't wait that long to eat it! Slab bacon could be sliced exactly as you prefer. I also agree about fat content...the meat portion of the bacon won't shatter unless it's jerky-like...which, indeed, is not necessarily a bad thing either!

I'd have to think of three things: the brand of bacon, its thickness, and when you remove it from the oven.  My thought is that there will be residual heat in the meat that will continue to cook it before it is served.  I'm not a master at this because the brand of bacon that I prefer (Neuske's...from Wisc.) tends to come packaged as a thicker slice...and I really can't wait that long to eat it!  Slab bacon could be sliced exactly as you prefer.  I also agree about fat content...the meat portion of the bacon won't shatter unless it's jerky-like...which, indeed, is not necessarily a bad thing either!

Actually, what I was referring to was the lean:fat ratio. Lean protein tends to dry and tough, and some of the superpremium bacons are more hamlike than baconlike in their fat content.

Also, I did have a smoked bacon recently that was apparently sliced with the grain, which made for long, chewy fibers. It was not tender at all, though this may have been an issue with the raw materials themselves.

Though considering what I paid for it, I expected better.

Edited by Katherine (log)

Katherine, I haven't changed brands in years. And, going from the amount of fat that gets rendered, I consider this to be very fatty bacon. The idea of bacon potentially being sliced with the grain intrigues me though. Was this pre-sliced bacon you bought? The next time I buy bacon I'll have to look closer at the way it's cut.

Tracy, as far as residual heat is concerned, I eat my bacon straight from the oven :) I also sample it at different times during cooking. Each time I tried it, it was chewy.

Katherine, I haven't changed brands in years. And, going from the amount of fat that gets rendered, I consider this to be very fatty bacon. The idea of bacon potentially being sliced with the grain intrigues me though. Was this pre-sliced bacon you bought? The next time I buy bacon I'll have to look closer at the way it's cut.

Tracy, as far as residual heat is concerned, I eat my bacon straight from the oven :) I also sample it at different times during cooking. Each time I tried it, it was chewy.

When you're looking at it raw, is it at least 50% fat in appearance?

This bacon I'm talking about was sold in a chunk in my Polish market, and was intended to be served as is, without further cooking. It was too tough to eat sliced thinly, or when I later added the rest to soup.

... Besides baking on a rack (which I despise washing), has anyone found a way to do this?...

I have one of those Le Creuset grill pans w/ the alleged non-stick coating. I've been using that to cook my bacon in the oven, it really seems to help keep the pan seasoned. My bacon doesn't turn out shatter-type crisp, though, because I use thick-sliced bacon.

Katherine, I haven't changed brands in years. And, going from the amount of fat that gets rendered, I consider this to be very fatty bacon.  The idea of bacon potentially being sliced with the grain intrigues me though. Was this pre-sliced bacon you bought?  The next time I buy bacon I'll have to look closer at the way it's cut.

When you're looking at it raw, is it at least 50% fat in appearance?

Yes. In fact, most of the packages of bacon in the bin is closer to 2/3 fat and I have to hunt for a package with only 50%.

I think you should try for the fattier meat. The fat is the component that causes crispness. Think of what would happen if you put a veal cutlet, plain, in the oven on 350º for an hour. It would be tough and dry.

• 8 months later...

Sunday morning Bacon Fest 1.

Gave my brother Bacon of the Month club for Christmas last year. When the June shipment came, it had 4 months worth in it. What could we do but have a bacon fest (with waffles) His kitchen is small, but we figured it out. We added 2 more kinds of bacon just to be sure. My tasting notes were worthless after the euphoria of eating all that bacon. It was all good!

We prefered the bacon cooked in the oven, however.

gallery_10479_413_1101678004.jpg

Something a little different and definitely superfluous:

Put thick sliced bacon on a rack and then onto a baking sheet with sides (jelly roll pan is best)

Sprinkle with dark brown sugar and lots of freshly ground pepper ....you can also use some cayenne pepper if you like

Bake till done....it's soooooo good! :smile:

Something a little different and definitely superfluous:

Put thick sliced bacon on a rack and then onto a baking sheet with sides (jelly roll pan is best)

Sprinkle with dark brown sugar and lots of freshly ground pepper ....you can also use some cayenne pepper if you like

Bake till done....it's soooooo good!    :smile:

NOT superfluous! The pan just went into the oven. :biggrin:

I finally found a good way to get enough sugar on the bacon. I had about 6 strips of thick sliced bacon. I put the sugar and pepper into a big zip-loc. I cut the strips into quarters, dropped in a few pieces at time shaking the bag to get them coated. (If you put too many at a time they stick together and all sides don't get coated.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I do my bacon in the oven over a half-sheet pan that has a baking rack in it. I find I get the bacon somewhat more tender letting the grease drip down below it as it cooks.

Just my 2 cents.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I agree with the rack. Yes it is a pain to clean. I have done it both ways and have gone back to using the rack. Pam helps a little.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Man, a thread to my own heart. Bacon IS nature's most perfect food.

Any time I have the smoker going, I'll "double smoke" a pound (the cheap stuff is fine here) by putting it in the upright section at around 175ish for a few hours. It's not real crispy that way but the taste is a whole 'nother world. Throwing it in the 250 degree section for a while at the end will crisp it up somewhat, sort of, or you can finish in the usual fashion. This quasi- double smoked stuff is the secret to my baked beans and leftover the next day, it takes the ol' BLT to new heights (or the BLTC... A grilled cheese with sharp cheddar on homemade sourdough, then opened up and filled with lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo).

The place I buy most of my meat (McGonigle's market on Ward Parkway in KCMO) has slab bacon that's pretty decent and usually reasonably priced for those "I need 3 or 4 slices" moments. When you're cooking for one, those come more often than the "I need a pound" moments.

I use the rack in a sheet pan method. And I like mine not crispy, but just a little chewy. If using the stove top, I season my frypan lightly, get it warmed and add the bacon. Then cook it slowly over a medium heat until done to my likeness. Then I have to drain it on papertowels. THat i why I like the oven method better, less oily taste.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Man, a thread to my own heart.  Bacon IS nature's most perfect food. 

Any time I have the smoker going, I'll "double smoke" a pound (the cheap stuff is fine here) by putting it in the upright section at around 175ish for a few hours.  It's not real crispy that way but the taste is a whole 'nother world.  Throwing it in the 250 degree section for a while at the end will crisp it up somewhat, sort of, or you can finish in the usual fashion.  This quasi- double smoked stuff is the secret to my baked beans and leftover the next day, it takes the ol' BLT to new heights (or the BLTC...  A grilled cheese with sharp cheddar on homemade sourdough, then opened up and filled with lettuce, tomato, bacon, and mayo).

The place I buy most of my meat (McGonigle's market on Ward Parkway in KCMO) has slab bacon that's pretty decent and usually reasonably priced for those "I need 3 or 4 slices" moments.  When you're cooking for one, those come more often than the "I need a pound" moments.

Where at on Ward Parkway? The next time I am up, probably January, I will bring a cooler and go shopping.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Where at on Ward Parkway?  The next time I am up, probably January, I will bring a cooler and go shopping.

Near 79th. It's a pretty cool store. I happen to live about 6 blocks away which is a big part of why I'm a regular. They're known for steaks and they cater to the barbecue crowd, of which I count myself a member (they always have untrimmed beef briskets and nice bone-in pork shoulders) and usually have fresh poultry and such. Next time I go in I'll ask about getting calf's feet for that extra gelatin boost in my beef stock, since I've gotten a whole lot of zilch so far when looking for veal bones. They do always have beef bones in the freezer though.

I'll tell ya the coolest bacon preparation method I've ever used, courtesy Sara Moulton on Food Network.

You put the bacon in a "spiral shape" on a skewer, then broil it in the oven. Damn. It gets crispy and delicious, and the spiral shape gives it a mouthfeel -- yes, this is perverted -- when you cram a spiral of bacon into your mouth at breakfast, that will truly make you thankful to God for bacony goodness.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth