• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molded and Filled Chocolates: Troubleshooting and Techniques

rookie

I also use this technique quite often with transfer sheets instead of acetate to get a print on the bottom of the chocolate and, like Lior said, its not really that messy once you get the technique down.

Those are backed off beautifully.  Thanks for the pics!

I'll trust you guys on the mess factor.  Maybe that guy in the video is just messy.

The trick to minimising mess is to use the minimum amount of chocolate that allows you to scrape across and get the acetate to stick - you usually get the amount right in 3 or 4 moulds

I'll trust you guys on the mess factor.  Maybe that guy in the video is just messy.

The trick to minimising mess is to use the minimum amount of chocolate that allows you to scrape across and get the acetate to stick - you usually get the amount right in 3 or 4 moulds

I tried this technique tonight and it does require a certain level of experimentation - not enough chocolate and you don't get the smoothness, too much and you get a mess. Tonight I did not leave enough chocolate and hence had some "dips". I will try again tomorrow.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried this technique tonight and it does require a certain level of experimentation - not enough chocolate and you don't get the smoothness, too much and you get a mess. Tonight I did not leave enough chocolate and hence had some "dips". I will try again tomorrow.

It really looks tricky to me, Anna, but I want to try it soon. Please let us know if you come across a good method.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Here is a picture of when I did the transfer on the back of the bar a week or so ago. I put chocolate on row one-near me and then haphazardly squiggle chocolate here and there, and it worked very nicely, not too little and only slight mess. As said earlier, the mess was incredibly easy to clean-shiny and peeled straight off all surfaces.

gallery_53591_4944_169858.jpg

Edited by Lior (log)

It really looks tricky to me, Anna, but I want to try it soon. Please let us know if you come across a good method.

It really is not difficult. I did it again this morning using a transfer on the back of a mold of solid chocolate. However, I managed to get a wrinkle in there! :angry: I would have shared a photo but my daughter borrowed my camera!

I am not esp. interested in getting shiny backs but very interested in putting a transfer on the back of some molds. Next challenge will be to try and back off filled chocolates in a similar fashion but I will use plain acetate for that. I'll let you know how it works.

If you want to try it and you have a thin mold that is good for solid chocolates I think you will find it easy to experiment with techniques. If you use plain acetate you have nothing to lose - just re- temper and try again.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It really is not difficult. I did it again this morning using a transfer on the back of a mold of solid chocolate. However, I managed to get a wrinkle in there! :angry: I would have shared a photo but my daughter borrowed my camera!

I am not esp. interested in getting shiny backs but very interested in putting a transfer on the back of some molds. Next challenge will be to try and back off filled chocolates in a similar fashion but I will use plain acetate for that. I'll let you know how it works.

If you want to try it and you have a thin mold that is good for solid chocolates I think you will find it easy to experiment with techniques. If you use plain acetate you have nothing to lose - just re- temper and try again.

I am interested in trying this technique especially for bars. When I make a chocolate bar that's just chocolate (no inclusions like nuts or fruit), it's difficult to keep the very fluid chocolate from spilling over and ruining the edge. You have to keep the mold absolutely level until it begins to crystallize a bit. Using the acetate would definitely solve that problem.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Third attempt today with a transfer on the back of solid chocs and it worked like a charm. As someone else said, it's a matter of determining how much choc to leave on the mold and then to get the right angle of the scraper and the right wrist action.

Next up is trying it on filled chocolates but that won't be for a day or two.

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a picture of when I did the transfer on the back of the bar a week or so ago. I put chocolate on row one-near me and then haphazardly squiggle chocolate here and there, and it worked very nicely, not too little and only slight mess. As said earlier, the mess was incredibly easy to clean-shiny and peeled straight off all surfaces.

gallery_53591_4944_169858.jpg

looks good.

Luis

• 3 weeks later...
It's a little more time consuming, but if you want you can use a guitar sheet or acetate to cap your chocolates. It makes for the most 'perfect' finish and also allows you to have more filling and a less thick base. You ladle chocolate on just one edge of the mould, put the plastic so that it covers the open surface of the mould and then, using a squeegee or triangle spatula, pull the chocolate across to the other side

I would like to try the acetate method for bottoming chocolates during the holidays. Most of the talk about this method in this thread dealt with solid chocolate. I would like to try this on filled chocolates. Anna, I think you were going to try it... did it work out for you? I was thinking you would have to sort of fill using your spatula before doing the acetate method to ensure the chocolate fills each cavity properly. I would be concerned with just using the acetate method as there might be crevices left unfilled. I would love to hear people's thoughts and experiences. HQAntithesis - it sounds like you just go for it with the acetate on your filled chocolates. Do you have any issues with unfilled spaces?

It's a little more time consuming, but if you want you can use a guitar sheet or acetate to cap your chocolates. It makes for the most 'perfect' finish and also allows you to have more filling and a less thick base. You ladle chocolate on just one edge of the mould, put the plastic so that it covers the open surface of the mould and then, using a squeegee or triangle spatula, pull the chocolate across to the other side

I would like to try the acetate method for bottoming chocolates during the holidays. Most of the talk about this method in this thread dealt with solid chocolate. I would like to try this on filled chocolates. Anna, I think you were going to try it... did it work out for you? I was thinking you would have to sort of fill using your spatula before doing the acetate method to ensure the chocolate fills each cavity properly. I would be concerned with just using the acetate method as there might be crevices left unfilled. I would love to hear people's thoughts and experiences. HQAntithesis - it sounds like you just go for it with the acetate on your filled chocolates. Do you have any issues with unfilled spaces?

It worked fine for me with filled chocolates without pre-coating the bottoms. I gave up for the time being as I was making a bigger mess each time I tried it. :wacko:

However, it does work well and seems to make a good seal. In the meantime I have learned to work much more cleanly backing off traditionally so I have not returned to the acetate method. I expect I will give it another go soon.

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks Anna. I don't think I would use this method on a regular basis but want to use it for some special Valentine chocolates I will be making... my 'jewels'! Glad to hear you don't have to pre-coat first. It's already more work - don't want to add more!

When I use transfer sheets (or acetate) on the bottom of moulded chocolates I close them as normal, let it set and then apply the transfer with a thin layer of chocolate.

When I use transfer sheets (or acetate) on the bottom of moulded chocolates I close them as normal, let it set and then apply the transfer with a thin layer of chocolate.

Ahhhhhh. I normally do a 'beauty coat' when bottoming traditionally. I guess doing the beauty coat using acetate would just be extra beautiful! Thanks for the tip.

Edited by mostlylana (log)

I've found the easiest way to do it is put a pile of chocolate at one end of the mould, press the transfer sheet down on the chocolate and then scrape across to the other side of the mould. (Hope that makes sense)

I've found the easiest way to do it is put a pile of chocolate at one end of the mould, press the transfer sheet down on the chocolate and then scrape across to the other side of the mould. (Hope that makes sense)

Yes, it makes perfect sense. Actually the link to the video that Lior posted in this thread shows the method as you describe. I'll have to wait until after Christmas to try it though - it's time to make turkey!