• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jim D.

Jim D.

7 hours ago, Jurjen said:

I tend to let my ganache cool to room temp however the ganache tries to squeeze out while capping, would it be better to make the ganache right after making the outer shell? I'm not sure how long I should let the ganache from a "crust" before capping, it didn't seem to matter if I let it sit in the fridge for 30 min or outside the fridge for an hour. I'd try to temper the ganache but I'm not sure if my space restrictions would easily allow that.

Currently I'm just doing very simple ganaches with around a 50:50 chocolate to cream ratio with small amounts of flavoring (e.g. steep some lemon zest or ground coffee in the cream)

Any tips to remedy these issues?

I think most of the issues you mention come from creating a ganache with a 50:50 ratio. All the authorities I know of call for considerably more chocolate. In the case of dark chocolate, it's often 2:1 chocolate to liquefiers. At that ratio, a ganache will not be so easy to pipe at room temp, thus the (approx.) 83F I mentioned. When you pipe it, 1/4" to 1/3" space should be left between ganache and top of cavity. I leave my fillings overnight to set, though if it firms up before then, I don't see any reason to wait. With the space I mentioned, you won't scrape the top of the ganache so easily. It is crucial that the seal be as near perfect as possible or the filling may leak out and even spoil.  And a final note: a 1:1 ratio ganache probably has a high free water content, thus will not last very long.

Jim D.

Jim D.

7 hours ago, Jurjen said:

I tend to let my ganache cool to room temp however the ganache tries to squeeze out while capping, would it be better to make the ganache right after making the outer shell? I'm not sure how long I should let the ganache from a "crust" before capping, it didn't seem to matter if I let it sit in the fridge for 30 min or outside the fridge for an hour. I'd try to temper the ganache but I'm not sure if my space restrictions would easily allow that.

Currently I'm just doing very simple ganaches with around a 50:50 chocolate to cream ratio with small amounts of flavoring (e.g. steep some lemon zest or ground coffee in the cream)

Any tips to remedy these issues?

I think most of the issues you mention come from creating a ganache with a 50:50 ratio. All the authorities I know of call for considerably more chocolate. In the case of dark chocolate, it's often 2:1 chocolate to liquefiers. At that ratio, a ganache will not be so easy to pipe at room temp, thus the (approx.) 83F I mentioned. When you pipe it, 1/4" to 1/3" space should be left between ganache and top of cavity. I leave my fillings overnight to set, though it if firms up before then, I don't see any reason to wait. With the space I mentioned, you won't scrape the top of the ganache so easily. It is crucial that the seal be as near perfect as possible or the filling may leak out and even spoil.  And a final note: a 1:1 ratio ganache probably has a high free water content, thus will not last very long.