• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molded and Filled Chocolates: Troubleshooting and Techniques

rookie

I always hesitate with the scraping at the end. I usually pour the chocolate on to cap, hold the mold at a downward angle and scrap quickly in one motion. I might have to go over it again to get a bit of excess but I thougt you should only scrape once?

If you're following temp...and your room isn't excessively warm, and your molds aren't excessively warm, then I think you're just dumping off too soon. For milk, in my workspace, I normally let them sit a good minute or two, versus my dark chocolates that are seconds up to maybe a minute. Beyond that you just need to pay closer attention to the ganache to find the right consistency where it is still fluid, but cool enough to not damage the shells.

As I said before I have my favorite ganache recipes because they stay fluid even when cool...find a few that you like and modify, modify, modify.

I worked with that particular Cacoa Barry formulation at the Luxury Chocolate Show in November - was quite amazed at how fluid it remained even after a number of hours at temperature.  Have a box of it in my chocolate room now thanks to Alleguede.  

If you're following temp...and your room isn't excessively warm, and your molds aren't excessively warm, then I think you're just dumping off too soon. For milk, in my workspace, I normally let them sit a good minute or two, versus my dark chocolates that are seconds up to maybe a minute. Beyond that you just need to pay closer attention to the ganache to find the right consistency where it is still fluid, but cool enough to not damage the shells.

As I said before I have my favorite ganache recipes because they stay fluid even when cool...find a few that you like and modify, modify, modify.

What would I change to keep a recipe fluid? Add more cream? add cocoa butter?

Thanks for the tip, I always thought you're supposed to dump right away so I don't even wait a second. Once I've got all the cavities covered I quickly dump it out. I'm going to try letting this brand of milk chocolate sit and see what happens. Will update you guys soon!

About cocoa butter.... so I didn't ask any questions about this. I just melted some cocoa butter using a bain marie and dipped some cotton in it and slathered away the cavities. What temperature should it be at?? Should it be tempered first?

So many questions :)  Get yourself to the Choco and Confection workshop this May. A couple of responses. First, I shoot for a milimeter thick, but it depends on the mold, where the bon bon is going, but in general, I like them as thin as I can structurally get them. Don't worry about your polishing cocoa butter temp. I melt mine in the microwave until its about 90% melted and then stir it to finish - but I've also polished hot...and you're not really leaving much in the molds...no pooling.

And there are lots of things that could make your ganache more fluid/thinner, but the point I was trying to make is that you should find a recipe that works for you (versus modifying recipes). For example - this is one of my go-tos because of its fluidity (and simplicity):

135 g apricot puree

25 g glucose/corn syrup

250 g white chocolate

25 g butter

That recipe, because of the white chocolate, melts at a lower temp, allowing me to pipe it fluid. I can simply sub out the puree and adjust the sweetness as I want. Likewise, I can infuse basil, black pepper, cinnamon into the cream for a variation. But, its simple. Its fluid. Its fast.

• Like 2

Another myth it seems I have: The thinner the shell the better? I thought it was best to have a thin shell?? How do I gauge the right thickness?

Some fillings match a thin shell, others a thicker shell - so it really varies with what you are making.  I like a thin shell with a flowing caramel filling and a thicker one with something like a gianduja.  

Thank you so much for all your excellent responses!

gfron1, I've been reading the forums referencing the Choco and Confection workshops and I'm jealous! Would love to attend. Were can I find out more?

Thank you so much for your recipe, I am going to try it this weekend. Hopefully I have better luck with white chocolate then I've had with the others.

I'm going to let the mold sit for a minute to try to achieve a thicker shell. 

I dont even know what to do to get a better temper but I'm going to work on the temps.

thanks everyone!

Before I got my tempering machine and was doing it by hand, my temps were perfect (I assume based on multiple spot testing with a reliable thermometer). Kerry coached me into figuring out it was my agitation that was lacking. Good luck, and when I get to work I'll post a fluid dark chocolate filling.

I've been reading the forums referencing the Choco and Confection workshops and I'm jealous! Would love to attend. Were can I find out more?

Here is the topic: eG Chocolate and Confection Workshop 2015

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks gfron1. Interesting idea. It got me thinking of other things that could be off. Do you think I could be over seeding? I learned that you should seed with a max of 10% of your whole. The truth is I don't actually measure, I just keep throwing pellets in until I get to the right temperature. When I try again this weekend I'm going to actually weigh and measure everything out. 

I seed 30%.

Here's a new recipe to try.

145 g Belgian ale (I use whatever I'm currently brewing)

145 g Cream

1" Fresh ginger

Peel of one orange

1 Cinnamon stick

Put all in small sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, cover, and steep 1 hour. Strain solids out. 

70 g Honey

70 g Glucose/corn syrup

Add to beer cream and bring to a simmer.

40 g 65% chocolate (or any dark chocolate)

245 g 35% chocolate (or any milk chocolate)

32 g Butter

8 g Sambuca (or any anise liquor)

Put chocolates in food processor bowl and process to large crumb. Pour hot cream mixture over and let rest 30 seconds. Blitz til smooth. Add butter and sambuca and blitz til smooth.

I rarely need to cool this recipe. It is normally cooled enough by the chocolates, but if its warm to the touch, then let it rest, stirring occasionally until its cool to the touch. It will stay liquid until fully cooled. Pipe it and let it rest overnight. The next day touch it. You'll see that its still very soft but has a firm enough skin for you to put the bottom on the chocolates.

So many questions :)  Get yourself to the Choco and Confection workshop this May. A couple of responses. First, I shoot for a milimeter thick, but it depends on the mold, where the bon bon is going, but in general, I like them as thin as I can structurally get them. Don't worry about your polishing cocoa butter temp. I melt mine in the microwave until its about 90% melted and then stir it to finish - but I've also polished hot...and you're not really leaving much in the molds...no pooling.

And there are lots of things that could make your ganache more fluid/thinner, but the point I was trying to make is that you should find a recipe that works for you (versus modifying recipes). For example - this is one of my go-tos because of its fluidity (and simplicity):

135 g apricot puree

25 g glucose/corn syrup

250 g white chocolate

25 g butter

That recipe, because of the white chocolate, melts at a lower temp, allowing me to pipe it fluid. I can simply sub out the puree and adjust the sweetness as I want. Likewise, I can infuse basil, black pepper, cinnamon into the cream for a variation. But, its simple. Its fluid. Its fast.

Wait! Where's the cream in the recipe? Sorry if I am missing the obvious... and asking yet more questions!! Lol

Edited by chocofoodie (log)

Just wanted to check in and say today I flipped over a mold and for the first time ever the chocolates just dropped out, effortlessly, like they were in a greased pan. AMAZING!!!! Thank you guys so much for all your tips and suggestions. And gfron1, they were filled with your fruit filling, which was such a joy to work with and eat up! 

Ok so my shell is completely uneven.. but one problem at a time lol

Strawberries and cream photo 2.JPG

• Like 1