• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molded and Filled Chocolates: Troubleshooting and Techniques

rookie

Like a few others on this forum I've gone to one style of mold with varying decorations.  That said, I have a relatively limited ability for output so I balance my moldeds with hand dipped, and some people do truffles as well.  That combo allows me to fill my boxes and not get bogged down in crystalization hold ups.

I don't think it can be done with your 3 different molds.  I would instead get 3 of the same mold (something very basic) - bang them out 3 molds at a time with some sort of feature that tells you one ganache from another.  

There is a chocolatier (that got money from the folks on Dragon's den) in my area that seems to have it figured out.  Essentially all his moulded chocolates were made in the same mold.  He then added two dots of colour to the top of each to indicate which filling it had.  

I don't think it can be done with your 3 different molds.  I would instead get 3 of the same mold (something very basic) - bang them out 3 molds at a time with some sort of feature that tells you one ganache from another.  

There is a chocolatier (that got money from the folks on Dragon's den) in my area that seems to have it figured out.  Essentially all his moulded chocolates were made in the same mold.  He then added two dots of colour to the top of each to indicate which filling it had.  

Is this the man (and the chocolates) you mean, Kerry? 

http://www.forratschocolates.ca/our-chocolates.aspx

I was just watching Dragons' Den as I was reading this..... 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

You can make a large batch of soft ganache and warm small amounts when you need to fill shells, or make firmer ganache that sets up quickly.  Butter ganache sets up very quickly, you could fill and cap in an hour.  Greweling's book has a section on butter ganache, you mix tempered chocolate into butter, add liquor or flavor, and pipe or slab. 

Gfron1is right, adding a few non-molded items will make it easier on you.  Nut clusters, mendiants, and dipped candied peel or dried fruit are easy ways to add variety. 

You say you want molded, but a majority of the people producing chocolates are doing them slab style. Using transfer sheets, home made frame and a sharp knife I can do 100's in a few hours.

Chef Carlton Brooks CCE, CEPC

Aluminum bars can be cut for you by the Metal Supermarket if you happen to be in north america.  Slabbed ganache recipes - I'd consult Greweling and use his proportions for the basic slab but up the flavours.

How's your dipping?

Aluminum bars can be cut for you by the Metal Supermarket if you happen to be in north america.  Slabbed ganache recipes - I'd consult Greweling and use his proportions for the basic slab but up the flavours.

How's your dipping?

I have a feeling my dipping skills are about to vastly improve! :-) Thanks for the Metal Supermarket recommendation - I'm in Seattle and there are 2 nearby. This made my day. Thanks again.

I have a feeling my dipping skills are about to vastly improve! :-) Thanks for the Metal Supermarket recommendation - I'm in Seattle and there are 2 nearby. This made my day. Thanks again.

If you don't have someone at home to buff the ends for you to remove the sharp edges - pay a little extra and get the Metal Supermarket guys to do that for you.  I highly recommend taking chocolate for the fellows there - it has resulted in a 'chocolate discount' the many times I've had them cut things for me.

There is a primer on dipping somewhere here on eG - it was done by Alanamoana - I shall see if I can find it for you and link to it if someone doesn't beat me to it.

If you don't have someone at home to buff the ends for you to remove the sharp edges - pay a little extra and get the Metal Supermarket guys to do that for you.  I highly recommend taking chocolate for the fellows there - it has resulted in a 'chocolate discount' the many times I've had them cut things for me.

There is a primer on dipping somewhere here on eG - it was done by Alanamoana - I shall see if I can find it for you and link to it if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Thanks. I called and the Metal Supermarket quote was so inexpensive compared to finished frames I've seen online. I like the idea of taking them some chocolates - nice touch! They did ask  if I preferred food grade stainless steel over aluminum - I wasn't sure which is better. 

Stainless weighs a ton - I started out with stainless bars then went over to the aluminum when I realized how much more I could get for less money and how much less they weighed.  Couldn't open one of my drawers due to the weigh of the stainless bars.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok I haven't made chocolate in years. I feel like I'm starting all over again so I'm sorry in advance for all the posts from me :-) But is it just me or does this happen to others? I need to know if there are others out there because I am getting so frustrated!! My molded chocolates don't come out of their shell!! There's no flipping the mold over and beautiful chocolates falling gracefully out. It's me banging, banging, getting one, banging some more, refrigerating, more banging... You get the picture. When they come out they are beautiful and have a nice temper snap when you bite in. What am I doing wrong?????

Depends on the mold. If they're coming out shiny they still could be off temper just slightly. I have the same issue but its because I use really deep dome molds which don't like releasing because of suction. If you aren't already, try the 5-10 minutes in the freezer trick and see what happens.

Yes one of the moods I usually use is a deep dome one. I do put it in the freezer for five to ten minutes. Are you supposed to flip right away or leave it for ten minutes to come to room temperature before flipping? I'm using the Rev2 tempering machine.

This happened today. (See pic) I don't know why that happened.

I have used the freezer for stubborn molds (as much as a half-hour, occasionally even more) and then tried again to unmold (while the chocolates are still cold and presumably contracted from the mold).  Unless I have really messed up the temper, all the pieces have eventually released.  Most experts advise against using the freezer, but I have found it works and have never had any condensation on the chocolates or other ill effects.

I don't use rippled edge molds often, but I also have trouble with them. I think its the surface area that's created and the corresponding friction. Some molds just aren't friendly, but I still think temper is just a tad bit off.

That's exactly what I see when my chocolate is off temper.  There's much debate among us eGers about mold cleaning. I don't clean mine til I can't take it anymore, then, like yesterday, I put them all in my commercial washer and wash the hell out of them. Mine is a low temp washer. I've been doing that for a couple of years with no ill effects.  I take them out and air dry them for an hour then towel dry them, which is also a pre-polish on the cavities. Then I buff with melted cocoa butter using a cosmetic pad/round.

Since the last eG Choco and Confection workshop I am much more in tune with my room and mold temps. I make sure the room and molds are at 20ºC. I spray mine, and because Ruth always gets on my case, I don't give a crap about cocoa butter temps...but its around 95 or 100ºF (sorry for the C to F change but its how my mind works based on my equipment).

What you're doing is fine...you don't need the soap, but I use it too.  Just dry and buff. But that stick that you showed in the 2nd picture is your chocolate not being in perfect temper - I have no doubt about that. Is it possible that you're filling your ganache when its still warm?

• Like 3