• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molded and Filled Chocolates: Troubleshooting and Techniques

rookie

Thanks - no, CB was not tempered - just a bit added while tempering the chocolate.

As I thought, once I wrote this post, I returned to the 'fridge and was able to release the squares. But I will keep that in mind about the CB if I ever use large amounts.

squares.jpg

"But you have no chocolate? My dear, how will you ever manage?"

-- Marquise d Sévigné

"If I knew you were comin' I'd've baked a cake, hired a band, goodness sake..."

• 11 months later...

This is really frustrating me, a while back I made the big mistake of washing several molds, including several 30 pc maple leaf polycarbonaate molds.

I've tried everything, shaking the mold dry, wiping it out with soft towels, spraying in a layer of cocoa butter, filling up the cavities with 70% dark, but all to no avial. When I cast a thin layer I get sticking in the tight crevices.

What am I doing wrong?

When you say a thin layer, you mean a thin hollow shell? Are you trying to remove the hollow shell or are you filling/capping before trying to extract the pieces?

I find that cooling/refrigerating my molds before turning out the pieces works very well for me. It may also be possible that you're simply casting too thin a shell and need to do a thicker one (e.g. two layers). I've done this with white chocolate a few times just to make sure the shell was sturdy enough.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Thanks for the reply.

No,the filled bonbons stick after unmolding them. I usually cst my thin layer, pop it into the fridge for a few minutes, fill it (in this case it was a butter ganache) cap it, and usually next morning turn them out.

Before I did the above, I filled the mold full with 70% and when solid, turned them out. There was some slight sticking, but nothing as bad as this.

I never had troubles using this mold or the above techniques for almost two years, using the same couverture.

I'm "blaming" the trouble on popping the molds in a commerical d/washer. But you know, I've washed other molds (the geometric domes, merlions, hedgehogs, etc) with virtually no sticking.

Some dishwasher detergents are corosive. This may (although from what you've said, its unlikely) have created a "rough" surface in the smaller crevices where possible pooling may have taken place.

But some other guidelines:

- Ensure molds are spotless. Don't wash them between moulding. Wrap in clingwrap until next session.

- Mould temperature should be around 23 centigrade

- Cool moulds at ideally 11 centigrade for 20 minutes before filling. Do NOT keep in fridge of say 5 centigrade for longer than 5 minutes. OTherwise consensation will occur easily in humid area.

- Careful with casting too thin a layer, particularly in moulds with "sharp" corners. Tempered choc contracts when setting thus increasing risk of fractures around corners.

- Careful about casting too thick a layer. Choc temp INCREASES for a while whilst setting. (Latent heat - if you were awake at science lessons :-)) So this increase in temp around thick layers particularly in corners, will throw that bit out of temper. Then very likely that mould will stick.

- Choc must not be stodgy or "over-crystallised. If you find that this is happening, simply add some warm (40 deg C) choc to stodge to re-balance the crystal/liquid ratio. Don't allow temp to exceed 33 deg C else it all loses temper!

Hope this helps. Let me know if its not!!

MIchael

Edward, you are fairly advanced and experienced with your chocolate work. I don't think that the issue is your tempering ability. There was a posting about 2 years ago with someone having mold issues. This person learned that the problem was the water and the detergent he/she was using. I think that if using a commercial dish washer then perhaps the detergent is to caustic for your molds. Or, depending on the type of dishwasher, maybe the water is not hot enough to properly clean the deep crevices. Some of these machines have a load done in a few minutes. I always wash my molds with a dishwasher. I take them out after the rinse stage and dry with a tea towel. Well, that is my two cents!!

Never, ever, ever wash your molds with anything more than plain hot water. I've gotten to the point where I don't wash them at all. I recently bought a dehydrator and am putting my molds into that and then cleaning them with paper towels. Of course, I'm also dehydrating stuff with it too.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Interesting that we've gotten such wildly different advice. This topic has come up several times over the years. Which manufacturers suggested doing this?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Uh... I do't think toothpaste will work. As it is, I can't even get a q-tip into the crevices.

As you can see in the pic, some of the cavities are clean, and some stick bad.

I think....

I think it might be water spots.

I don't usjualy wash the molds, but every couple of months, they get really grotty, so I toss them in the commercial d/washer. This has a cycle of about 2 mins, and uses liquid detergents and rinse aids. I've got about 25 or so molds and they do get washed every now and then, but only have had serious issues with sticking now--same dishwasher, same soaps, same everythibg else.

After they come out of the d/w, I do "the chicken" with the molds. That is, I take one mold in each hand and flop my arms up and down, shaking as much water as possible out, then shake some more, then place upside down on a cooling grid or in a toothed d/washing rack overnight.

If I have time, I buff out with those facial pads, or a q-tip.

This particular mold was sprayed (mouth atomizer) with cocoa butter, dried overnight, then filled not once, but twice with tempered 70% couverture. Some slight sticking, but nothing major.

When I molded for bon bons, I filled as usual, tipped out, scraped clean, allwed to harden, and then filled with a butter ganache.

I'll fill the mold again with solid 70% over and ove gain untill I can get this problem figured out....

guitar and wokbench 009.jpg

Edward, put the mold thru a household dishwasher that has a much longer cycle. Then during or after the rinse cycle, take out and rinse again with a running tap. Get your compressor and dry the cavities as buffing with towel is too difficult. Derrick from Callebaut suggested drying with an air compressor.

Thanks.

Don't have a compressor yet, but will use a hairdryer on "cold".

I'll be seeing Derrick in St. Hycinth in May, where I'll be taking a workshop there for a week.

May I ask who that is and where? Or should I already know?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks.

Don't have a compressor yet, but will use a hairdryer on "cold".

I'll be seeing Derrick in St. Hycinth in May, where I'll be taking a workshop there for a week.

May I ask who that is and where? Or should I already know?

Rather sure Edward J is taking this class with Derrick Tu Tan Pho. The same Derrick who will be presenting at the 2011 Chocolate & Confectionary Conference!

Edited by curls (log)

Yup, that's the one.

Tried to take it last year, but "stuff" got in the way.

Right now I'm stocking up the freezer with pastry prep for my one week "holiday", bunny production is at full tilt, and by the end of the month will be making fresh batches of all 25 variaities of bon bons hold over until I get back.

And when I get back, I run right smack dab into Mother's day, with full houses for Ma's day brunche and high tea.....

• 4 weeks later...

I have several of the white molds like those, and I tend to have better luck with them than the clear.

I never wash my molds. I scrape off as much as possible, then melt every thing with my heat gun. Once it's softened, I wipe them down, then polish the cavities with cotton batting. For the molds with crevices (I have a fleur de lys that's like that) I use a Q-tip. I have the worst water here, it leaves a white spotty residue if anything air dries, so no washing. When I did wash some that were hopelessly stuck, I gave them a rinse with distilled water and that helped with spots.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question about the results I got when I used a mold for the first time. In the attached photo you'll see that some of my molded candies came out fine while others did not. I am not sure if the problem was that my shell walls were too thin, or if it was because this is the first time I have used this mold. The problem was the flat surface on the bottom of the mold -- non of the sticking was on the sides. Is it normal to have problems the first time a mold is used?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

April 12 076.JPG

OK -- that makes sense. I chilled them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and then put them out to thaw, but I did not check the temperature to make sure they had made it to room temp before I tried to un-mold (de-mold?) So next time I will be more aware of the temperature.

Thanks for the tip.

• 2 months later...