• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Muscadelle

Muscadelle

I’m really puzzled by some dull or white flecks that appears on some of my chocolates on almost every batch I make. By the look of it, do you think it’s because my cocoa butter gets somehow out of temper when I paint, even though I have a high accuracy thermometer in my cocoa butter the whole time. I keep it around 28.5C. 

My molds are always between 18 and 19. I have to say it happens the most often with that technique. (Drop of cocoa butter dispersed by the airstream of an airbrush).

Does it happen to any of you?

What would you bet the issue is?

It’s getting very annoying and I’m not sure what to do because most of them are perfectly fine.

Also, I wash and polish my molds with 94% alcohol at every use.

36D6EA8C-3CA4-4EFC-9731-9AD192CEF94B.jpeg

Muscadelle

Muscadelle

I’m really puzzled by some dull or white specks that appears on some of my chocolates on almost every batch I make. By the look of it, do you think it’s because my cocoa butter gets somehow out of temper when I paint, even though I have a high accuracy thermometer in my cocoa butter the whole time. I keep it around 28.5C. 

My molds are always between 18 and 19. I have to say it happens the most often with that technique. (Drop of cocoa butter dispersed by the airstream of an airbrush).

Does it happen to any of you?

What would you bet the issue is?

It’s getting very annoying and I’m not sure what to do because most of them are perfectly fine.

Also, I wash and polish my molds with 94% alcohol at every use.

36D6EA8C-3CA4-4EFC-9731-9AD192CEF94B.jpeg