• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marmalade Choice in the UK

All the talk about those bacon sandwiches and how they are most properly balanced by marmalade in another topic string got me thinking about the marmalade.

My favorite: Tiptree Tawny. It's about as bitter, and burnt, as a marmalade can get and still be palatable. Lots of thick cut peel, just oranges and sugar. I don't even think they add pectin to this variety.

What's your favorite?

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Ethel's actually (she's a small scale producer in County Mayo in the west of Ireland, so hardly widely available). Just oranges, lemons, and sugar and the right level of bitterness.

I make my own, when I come across organic Sevilles, I keep my eyes peeled each january. I am never happy with it, but it does fine. I want it dark and bitter but I can never seem to get the sugar balance right. The most interesting version was made with orange juice instead of water. Packed quite a flavour punch but somehow it wasn't...marmalade.

A lot of delis here have locally produced marmalade on their shelves, I don't really like the big brands that much.

All the talk about those bacon sandwiches and how they are most properly balanced by marmalade in another topic string got me thinking about the marmalade.

My favorite: Tiptree Tawny. It's about as bitter, and burnt, as a marmalade can get and still be palatable. Lots of thick cut peel, just oranges and sugar. I don't even think they add pectin to this variety.

What's your favorite?

It's possible to recreate this with a tin of 'Mamade' and half and half whit and dark brown sugar. It's not that fresh tasting.

Must try Keiller's again. Remember it to be dark and chunky.

The Tiptree still, but I gather Double One is on the cards.

Rose's Lime???? What's all this about? :blink:

I happen to like Heinz ketchup, but this is a marmalade thread.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

After much disappointing road-testing, I've come to the conclusion that the only good marmalade is homemade (see earlier comments about Ma Kirkpatrick's Seville). My parents live in Malta where the oranges quite literally grow on trees, so Mum gets her Sevilles fresh fresh fresh. Her marmalade is a legend amongst my friends. People have been known to write her thank-you letters for it in the hopes of cravenly oiling up enough for another jar next year.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Agreed, agreed.

Sue Rickard in Chaple Amble makes the best I have tasted, but you can't get hers in Covent Garden.

An she'll have loads at the moment, of course.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

A friend makes a huge vat of tequila marmalade every year; it's easily the best I've ever had, but the queue to get some is longer than for an NHS dentist!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

. . . I've come to the conclusion that the only good marmalade is homemade . . .

Alas, too true. For conventional orange marmalade, I haven't tasted better than my wife's; this is her recipe from Entertaining Single-Handed:

Orange marmalade

Christmas morning breakfast in my home would be incomplete without this wonderful marmalade. Mother’s recipe – again!

Start the recipe 2 days in advance.

4 good sized Seville oranges

1 sweet orange

juice of 1 lemon

1.8 kilos (4lb) granulated sugar [cane, not beet!]

2.25 litres (4 pints) water

Peel the oranges. If you like marmalade to contain thin shreds of peel then shred the peel finely with a sharp knife. For chunky marmalade, mince the peel in a food processor.

Chop up the flesh, squeezing (and saving) some of the juice as you go. Tie the pips up in a piece of muslin or other thin cotton material.

Put the peel, flesh, juice, pips and water into a large bowl and leave for two days. Then, pour into a preserving pan and simmer very slowly for 1½ hours, half covered. Meanwhile, warm the sugar in a cool oven.

Tip in the sugar along with the lemon juice. Stir until the sugar has completely dissolved, then turn up the heat and boil rapidly until set, about 20-25 minutes. Keep an eye on it in case it boils over.

Test after twenty minutes: put a spoonful onto a cold saucer and if, after a few minutes, it wrinkles when you push it with your finger, it’s done. If it isn’t, boil a few minutes longer and test again.

Let the marmalade settle for a few minutes, then fill about six warmed, clean, dry jars. Lay circles of greaseproof paper on the top of the marmalade and screw on the lids tightly. Label, and store in a cool, dry place. (But eat a little now – newly made marmalade is extra special!)

For extra tangy marmalade: omit the sweet orange and substitute two extra Sevilles.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

I love seville orange marmalade, but just as favored is ginger marmalade.

I've had a few different ones from England that were very good, but can't recall all the names, ?Dundee?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I am so jealous, jealous, jealous.....

I lived in GB for 8 years and became addicted to marmalade, even at the tender age of 17.

And now, alas, I am in the USA. For Christmas every year, I receive 8 to 10 different marmalades: frm Tiptree to Cooper's to Rose's to Thursday Cottage.

I adore marmalade. I eat it every morning on English muffins or bagels.

I "export" it by the pound whenever I visit you lucky guys.

It's outrageously expensive here. Not fair!

My two favorite marmalades are both from Fortnum and Mason:

Pink Grapefruit Marmalade ... thick cut, fresh sharp taste, rosy blush color

Blood Orange Marmalade which is marvelously bitter and vaguely sweet at the same time (isn't that true of all marmalades?) with a deep ruby color

I first tasted them at High Tea there and have ordered them online in the ensuing years.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Would you believe it? No marmalade on Saturday morning:-

Charlestown kippers - poached - even Ormy(3) and Mary(1) share one.

Succulent, sweet flesh - with aga toast from Rock bread.

BUT NO MARMALADE.

Toast, marmalade and kippers.

One of the reasons for selling my soul.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Hear, hear to the ginger marmalade! I prefer Dundee's, but I'll eat any I can find. My grandmother used to start her day with a cup of coffee, and a slice of salt-rising bread with ginger marmalade - oh heavenly combination of aromas!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

My mum was in town this weekend and brought me three jars - THREE!! gloat, gloat. Feel like Gollum with my preciouses.

Gloat away.

I bought a jar labelled Marmalade 2004 from a farm table just outside Port Isaac.

Got home, bacon sarnie, and no!

It's made with tinned Mamade oranges. Filthy cheats.

:angry:

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

My mum was in town this weekend and brought me three jars - THREE!!  gloat, gloat.  Feel like Gollum with my preciouses.

Gloat away.

I bought a jar labelled Marmalade 2004 from a farm table just outside Port Isaac.

Same thing happened to me at a farm store just out side of Edinburgh with a jar of strawberry jam. :angry: Wife tossed it in the bin and demanded that we stick to Bonne Maman and never buy British again. :sad:

oh no, slacker, that's extremely shabby behaviour. to redress the karmic balance (what??), I would be prepared to sacrifice a jar of my mum's marmalade (it would be the smallest jar, of course, I'm not entirely altruistic). are you going to be in London in the next few months?

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

Yes!

Let me say YES on his behalf - and indeed I'm planning on going to Cornwall in the Summer so I can drop it off - ooh, I'm sure there'll be some left....

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Moby Pomerance - as transparent as only lightly poached orange peel can be.

she seals it with paraffin wax, but don't let that put you off. I quite enjoy picking the candly bits out, it's like beeswax. only made of paraffin, obviously.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

I've clicked fast reply, but ........am I too late?

If I left now, I could be with you by teatime. Parfait!

....or more sensibly, before you finish the other jars. :wub:

....the mind races.....is there to be a bacon sandwich?

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall