• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Masala Bhein recipe

deliad

Dear all,

As promised earlier in the "Rare Ingredients" thread, here is the recipe for Masala Bhein along with pictures. Hope you will enjoy this as much as we do. For those who live in the States, you can find these easily in the Korean grocery stores.

Here goes:

Masala Bhein (Lotus Stems or Kamal Kakdi)

Ingedients:

Lotus Stems - 4 medium pieces

Oil - 5 Tbsp

Water - 1 Cup

Masala Mix:

- Turmeric powder - 1 Tsp

- Salt - 1 and 1/2 Tsp

- Coriander powder - 5 Tsp

- Ginger powder - 1/4 Tsp

- Black Pepper - 1Tsp

- Garam Masala - 1 Tsp

- Amchur (Dry Mango powder) - 1 Tsp

Method:

1. Trim both the ends of the stems.

Picture001.jpg

2. Cut into some 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch long pieces and some 1/4 inch pieces.

Picture002.jpg

3. Wash with lukewarm water thoroughly. Make sure all the grooves are clean of any dirt.

Picture003.jpg

4. Mix all the spices in a bowl.

Picture004.jpg

5. Hold the big pieces over the masala bowl and fill the holes with the spice mix. Make sure that the pieces are a little damp so that the spices stick to them. Fill the big pieces from both sides. For smaller pieces put them together in the leftover masala mix and roll gently to cover with the spices.

Picture005.jpg

6. Heat oil in a pressure pan or cooker.

7. Put all the pieces in the oil and saute gently on low heat for 5 minutes.

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

8. Add one cup of water and stir gently.

Picture010.jpg

9. Cover the pressure cooker and cook on high heat till the first pressure whistle comes.

10. Let it cook on low heat for 15 more minutes.

11. Open the cooker and check to see the tenderness. (Should be similar to a hard boiled potato). If they are still hard, let it pressure cook for a few more minutes.

Picture011.jpg

12. If there is still some water, let it simmer for a few more minutes with the lid open.

Serve with freshly made chapati or tandoori roti and Enjoy!!!

Picture013.jpg

Good job deliad,

One of the better jobs of close up photography that I've seen here.

This stuff is also known as Renkon in Japanese cuisine and makes good tempura. Any leftovers of deliad's recipe Masala Bhein can be put to good use as pakoras.

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Good job deliad,

One of the better jobs of close up photography that I've seen here.

This stuff is also known as Renkon in Japanese cuisine and makes good tempura. Any leftovers of deliad's recipe Masala Bhein can be put to good use as pakoras.

Thanks,

You are right about Pakoras. They used to be my Dad's weakness and I seem to have inherited that also, along with pakoras of cauliflowers, eggplant, onions, boiled eggs, and green chillies.

We use these lotus stems in Rice Pulao as well as a sabji with Potato and Peas.

cheers,

One question: That looks like an ordinary large saucepan to me. It's a pressure cooker? If so, is it any problem to use an ordinary large saucepan for this dish?

Michael aka "Pan"

One question: That looks like an ordinary large saucepan to me. It's a pressure cooker? If so, is it any problem to use an ordinary large saucepan for this dish?

pan, given that deliad's recipe calls for pressure cooking i'd imagine just using a regular saucepan would mean cooking for much, much longer.

deliad, are my eyes deceiving me or is that a prestige pressure cooker?

pan, given that deliad's recipe calls for pressure cooking i'd imagine just using a regular saucepan would mean cooking for much, much longer.

mongo_jones,

Yes, it is a Prestige (brand) pressure cooker.

Pan,

Since this is one of those hardy type vegetables, it is much safer and faster to cook in a pressure cooker. We have never cooked in a pan so I cannot comment on that.

Bague25,

I remember your request, however, due to my low carb life style now, rice is not on my menu, but my better half still eats some and we will plan to capture the pulao with bhein next time we make it. Let me also add that it is no different than adding anything else in the pulao. Usually people add onions, potatoes, peas, cauliflower florets, Dal vadis and we sometimes add Bhein also.

mongo_jones,

Yes, it is a Prestige (brand) pressure cooker.

i have one of those--my wife and friends are all terrified by it. me, i'm scared of the new-fangled ones.