• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stout Ice Cream for St. Pat's Day

zilla369

I found a recipe for Guinness ice cream online, and it sounded intriguing. Our restaurant serves Beamish stout rather than Guinness, so i used Beamish when i made the ice cream last night. I'm going to serve it as a special tomorrow (St. Patrick's Day). Probably will garnish with oatmeal cookies.

There seem to be two diametrically opposed reactions from those who have tasted it so far. Camp A absolutely loves it (i'm in Camp A). Camp B hesitates for a moment and then inevetably says "that's...weird."

Anybody tried stout ice cream? Your thoughts, please.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I've made it (about ten years ago) and loved it, but the general reaction was a mirror of the one's that you recieved.

I think that the recipe came out of one of Candy Schermerhorn's beer cookbooks, but I am not sure. I will check when I get home.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

That actually sounds wildly delicious. The combination of beer and cream is sure to be, um, a little disquieting to the palate at first, but hey, root beer floats work, right?

Claudia Fleming's Guinness Stout Ginger Cake is one of my favorite desserts. I have made it with beers other than Guinness; I like Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout and Beamish. Chimay, my favorite beer, was an utter failure.

Good luck! :smile: Have you added any other flavorings or spices to the ice cream?

The recipe i used said it was the winner of FoodTV.com's 2002 Ice Cream Cook-Off. No special flavorings or spices, just a very straightfoward custard base with the stout as the flavoring.

Wouldn't want to try it with Old Milwaukee, though. :wink:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I've never had it, but Guinness Ice Cream has been a regular item on the menu at Toscanini's in Cambridge (MA) for many years. I think they also started doing it for St. Patrick's and kept it on. So somebody must like it. Friends of mine who like Guinness tell me it's good.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Here's a post from the beer forum. The topic is Stout Floats vs. Porter Floats.

If you really wanna go all the way, with all beer, make the ice cream from a stout!  I have made stout ice cream before and it was very tasty, almost like coffee or cappucino ice cream with just a hint of hops.  Had nice light brown color.

I made just a regular vanilla ice cream custard and then added a bottle of homebrewed stout, heated and stirred until well blended and some of the alcohol burns off.  Cooled it and then put it into my electric, refrigerated ice cream maker.  Very nice!  :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.