• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Big/Ubiquitous Tropical Fruit?

tobism

I've noticed within the past few years that mango, the tropical fruit, has grown in popularity. It's in desserts, ice cream, sorbets, tarts, pies... you name it, someone is going to try and make a mango flavor of it.

What do you guys think the "new mango" will be? Guava? Jackfruit? Durian? Have you noticed anything on the horizon that could usurp mango's popularity?

I think that milk will be the "new mango". From Indian preparations to dulce de leche, milk seems to be more popular around the world than here. I mean to say it has much more prevalence in it's sweetened, even caramelized form, than in the United States. I make this assumption only for dessert menus not for commercial goods. But with the Latino population in the country now being the largest minority, I think that their food products will have some sway in our life styles.

I guess to however to say that milk be the "one" is far to narrow mined, maybe it will just be a flash in the pan. Maybe the "new mango" will be the "old mango", maybe it won't leave. I don't think that it's a new and exciting flavor of a commercial drink any more; I think that it's an accepted one. One that most of the American public can identify, and except. That is the thing with flavors in this country, if they are too subtle; they usually are not publicly accepted. They have to big enough to be identifiable, Americans like things like that. Just think of our most popular fruits, they don't taste alike. Sure there are different spices, but a banana puree and an apple puree feel and taste different. Some fruits are just to subtle and to sweet to make the American market.

At least that I what I am thinking, but I was only 10 when the whole mango thing started.

Cory Barrett

Pastry Chef

OK, I'll go out on a limb - I think that Lychee will be the new mango. However, I have nothing objective to support my theory.

Not rambutans? They're like edible koosh balls. :laugh:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

OK, I'll go out on a limb - I think that Lychee will be the new mango. However, I have nothing objective to support my theory.

Not rambutans? They're like edible koosh balls. :laugh:

But they export so poorly. Ditto for mangosteens, I'd have to say, though rambutans are worse.

Michael aka "Pan"

What about passion fruit? I hope its not on the way out I just found a source for it. It do like lychee also, especially in the jellys that nightscotsman made at christmas time.

Fred Rowe

We did an amazing cream - sort of like a curd - that used mango, passion fruit and lychee purees for flavor. I expected the combination to sort of blend together into a general "tropical fruit" flavor, but you could clearly taste the layering of the three different fruits. Made a killer macaron filling. :smile:

Neil, I love lychee fruit! I made an ice cream once with it that was so refreshing. Great for Summer time. Mango is great. How about Guava? Sounds sensual and we all know how sex sells right?!

Honestly some people are so stuck in their ways about dessert that the old fashioned desserts always top the new and special ones. Even if they taste so much better! We create new and awesome desserts only to be shot down by our citrus cheesecake and yes, the creme brulee. I personally stopped ordering creme brulee years ago because it was always just not what I was looking for. Creamy, set, not runny and not with an iceberg of caramelized sugar on top. Geez the last time I ordered it I actually had to hit the sugar three times on the top before I heard a crack.

Everyone moan at the old standbys:

creme brulee

souflee with vanilla sauce

key lime pie

apple pie

warm chocolate cake...

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics