• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Boston Restaurant

AngAcq

Reliable does not mean the best. I ate there once and was disappointed. other friends have shared my judgement. I had their signature chicken dish and, while it was perfectly acceptable bird, I would not pay what I paid for it ever again.

My high-end dining experience has tended to be out of Boston in NYC: Bouley's, London: Gordon Ramsey (Royal Hospital Road, Pied a Terre and Montreal: Les Chevres and -- quite a bit cheaper -- Brunoise. All of these places are superiof to Hammersley's by a long shot.

A couple years ago for my wifes birthday we went to Radius for dinner.

The service was excellent, the food was excellent and the house was very smart.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

A couple years ago for my wifes birthday we went to Radius for dinner.

The service was excellent, the food was excellent and the house was very smart.

I would vote for Radius over No. 9 Park.

Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

I lived in the North End for 6 years, and much as I wanted it to be great, I found that most of the food was overpriced and not all that good.

Some exceptions: Prezza was good the two times I was there (but that was a couple of years ago). I hear Bricco has been resurrected by its new owners (haven't visited yet). But my favorite two places are Carmen and Antico Forno. Carmen has the better food of the two...I've never had a bad meal, and its prices are remarkable in a world of tourist traps. Warm, cozy atmosphere (but near impossible to get a table on a Friday), competent waitstaff, deftly interpreted classics, and nary a Pasta Primavera or Eggplant Parm in sight. Antico Forno is good with salads, fish, red sauce, and casseroles. Avoid the pizza. Great prices, and you don't have to fight the crowds to get a table.

Amy Traverso

californiaeating.blogspot.com

I lived in the North End for 6 years, and much as I wanted it to be great, I found that most of the food was overpriced and not all that good.

Some exceptions: Prezza was good the two times I was there (but that was a couple of years ago). I hear Bricco has been resurrected by its new owners (haven't visited yet). But my favorite two places are Carmen and Antico Forno. Carmen has the better food of the two...I've never had a bad meal, and its prices are remarkable in a world of tourist traps. Warm, cozy atmosphere (but near impossible to get a table on a Friday), competent waitstaff, deftly interpreted classics, and nary a Pasta Primavera or Eggplant Parm in sight. Antico Forno is good with salads, fish, red sauce, and casseroles. Avoid the pizza. Great prices, and you don't have to fight the crowds to get a table.

I actually loved the pizza I had at Antico Forno a few months ago... a simple margherita-- sauce cheese, basil.

But then again, I totally recognize that pizza is a personal thing. I happen to enjoy pizza that has a thin yet bread-like tasting crust, sauce that tastes like fresh tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella, which because its baked in a super hot wood oven is almost fused with the crust.

Just my preference and I think Antico Forno does it well.

I actually loved the pizza I had at Antico Forno a few months ago...  a simple margherita-- sauce cheese, basil.

But then again, I totally recognize that pizza is a personal thing.  I happen to enjoy pizza that has a thin yet bread-like tasting crust, sauce that tastes like fresh tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella, which because its baked in a super hot wood oven is almost fused with the crust.

The pizza may well have improved since I was last there. At one time, it didn't have that nice crusty-chewy contrast, but it sounds like this has changed. Glad to hear it! It really is one of the hidden gems of the neighborhood.

Amy Traverso

californiaeating.blogspot.com

• 2 months later...
We very much enjoy Hammersleys Bistro every time we are in Boston.Mistral is also very good, Radius is wonderful as is Julien at the Langham.

I went to Mistral last Tuesday and was very disappointed. The scene was great...packed...but the food just didn't do it for me.

For appetizer, I had the seared foie gras with confit of duck in a brioche and tart Wisconsin cherries. The cherries were a little too tart and the brioche too dense. The confit was prepared just right and the foie very nice. Together, the dish was too salty and I think they're trying to do too much with this dish and the tastes overwhelm each other.

For my entree, I had the grilled striped bass. Started off badly when the server almost spilled the entree onto my lap. It was served hot in the skillet...way too hot. After about 5 minutes, I was finally able to taste my dish. The skin on the bass was too salty and the meat was almost completely tasteless. The beans were so undercooked that they were still hard. The waiter was very apologetic and brought me a sauteed spinach as a side.

This was a pretty bad meal and I will definitely not be back to eat. The scene isn't bad though and drinks after work or after dinner would definitely be a possibility.

You guys are tough! I live here but am only a fan of chefs and restaurants,

I like Aquitaine, Hamersley,Henrietta's Kitchen, Orliana (Sp?)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

You guys are tough! I live here but am only a fan of chefs and restaurants,

I like Aquitaine, Hamersley,Henrietta's Kitchen, Orliana (Sp?)

One last comment. I saw the waiter consistently ask other tables as they were leaving what hotel they were staying at so he could call them a cab. I was dining solo and he didn't bother. I dislike being treated like a second class citizen because I'm alone. Since I was on an expense account, he could only benefit. He would have gotten a better tip even though I didn't like the food.

Last time I ate at Mistral they drove me home in a chaffeurd car.

It was pretty neat.

Andrew Baber

True I got more fans than the average man but not enough loot to last me

to the end of the week, I live by the beat like you live check to check

If you don't move yo' feet then I don't eat, so we like neck to neck

A-T-L, Georgia, what we do for ya?

The Gentleman Gourmand

One of my favorite places to eat is the East Coast Grille in Cambridge - The chef, Chirs Schlesinger is a genius. They have many fish offerings nightly, as well as BBQ. There is a tropical feel to the menu (the fried plantains served with home made guava ketchup are out of this world), as well as to the restaurant. There is an open kitchen where you can watch the chefs do their stuff. They have a large bar with a generous offering of cocktails, including a ULTRA SPICY, TRY IT IF YOU DARE, Bloody Mary. THey also have quite a raw bar too.

The wait can be outrageous - on a Sat if you don't get there by 6ish, you may have a 2 hr wait. It is worth it......

This was a pretty bad meal and I will definitely not be back to eat. The scene isn't bad though and drinks after work or after dinner would definitely be a possibility.

Upon further review, I've decided I'm an idiot and should never say anything definitely about a place until I've been there a couple of times. Maybe it was a bad night...maybe not. I can't judge until I do it again. Apologies.

I recently ate at Sage in the North End, and my meal was simply amazing. It began with a corn custard with morels and peas, and then moved on to a sampling of the three unbelievable pastas/rice dishes on the menu, and concluded with a fabulous and unorthodox peach and plum strudel. Based on this meal (which in toto cost $30 exactly), I would consider Sage to be one of the best restaurants in the city. That being said, I have not tried many of the places mentioned in this thread, and am mainly comparing the food to places I've eaten in New York.

Luke

• 3 years later...

My three favorites at the moment are La Voile #1

La Bouchée #2-both on Newbury St.

And the Rendezvous-Mass.Ave in Central Square

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

• 5 weeks later...
Four years later, what would you rank the best?

expensive (my picks) L'espalier, No 9 Park, Radius

cheap - Rod Dee (either location), Pho Pasteur (Chinatown location)

Nothing really stands out in the 'middle' category at the moment.

Would you stick Oleana in expensive or middle?

Oleana doesn't have the $100 - $150 testing menus (not that I remember), so I guess I'd put it in middle-expensive.

I"ve only been once, but Oleana does have excellent food. In particular, I appreciated the dessert menu which is a little adventurous but not weird. It's not one of those creme brule, chocolate cake, and ice cream dessert menus. The flavors on the two we tried were outstanding.

On the topic of dessert, Finale is totally overrated (IMO as always).

Edited by ejw50 (log)

If you are looking for bostons top wine and food experience my money goes to Ken @ Clio everytime. His food is constantly evolving and updated to reflect the change in techniques up to the moment while staying true to traditional flavor. That to me is highly respectable and it works well with wine which isn't the case when lesser chefs go crazy with techniques and flavors. Cragie Street is awesome for the same reasons!

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested in recent Boston recommendations as well. It is a bit of a drive for me so I would like some place worth it. Rendezvous was a favorite but we've had four disappointing meals in row. No. 9 Park failed to impress with its tasting menu a few years ago -- what are people thinking if it now? Eastern Standard had great drinks but only so-so food. What do people REALLY like???? I so want to like Boston food b/c it is so much closer than NYC but to date I have been underwhelmed. If there is great food to be had PLEASE share with the group.

I really like Ten Tables in JP. It's probably the best value for fine dining I have ever had or seen. On Tuesday nights they have four course tastings with wine pairings for like 40 bucks. The food is consistently very good, whereas in my experience some of the more expensive options in Boston are pretty inconsistent.

Craigie Street is very good but a bit pricier, and for a special occasion I'd hit L'Espalier, and I've heard great things about O Ya.