• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Boston Restaurant

AngAcq

I really like Ten Tables in JP.  It's probably the best value for fine dining I have ever had or seen.  On Tuesday nights they have four course tastings with wine pairings for like 40 bucks.  The food is consistently very good, whereas in my experience some of the more expensive options in Boston are pretty inconsistent.

Craigie Street is very good but a bit pricier, and for a special occasion I'd hit L'Espalier, and I've heard great things about O Ya.

I have to second the Tuesday and Wednesday night tasting menus at Ten Tables. Very nice meals, appropriate amounts of food, and not very pretentious at all.

• 1 month later...

Im going to be in Boston next week. Actually in Peabody for a work thing but I am going to spend some time in Boston. Looking for moderately priced, untouristy type food. I don't want super expensive, but something worth the value. I won't be with anyone, just dining by myself unless so egulleter wants to meet me and show me the untouristy side of Boston. :smile:

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

I am currently attemping a reservation at O Ya for Tuesday night. I figure why the hell not, ya only live once! LOL!

ETA I have a reservation at O Ya on Tuesday at 7!!! I am really looking forward to this!! With that in mind I am going to have to find a reasonable, maybe Italian restaurant in the North End. I think the dinner at O Ya is going to be my extravagant expense for the short time I am there. :biggrin:

Edited by kristin_71 (log)

• 2 weeks later...
I am currently attemping a reservation at O Ya for Tuesday night. I figure why the hell not, ya only live once! LOL!

ETA I have a reservation at O Ya on Tuesday at 7!!! I am really looking forward to this!! With that in mind I am going to have to find a reasonable, maybe Italian restaurant in the North End. I think the dinner at O Ya is going to be my extravagant expense for the short time I am there.  :biggrin:

How was Oya? I haven't been there yet. And where did you end up going in the North End? So far, I haven't had a bad meal anywhere there.

:) Pam

• 1 year later...

I wanted to bump this up because I had my first meal at No. 9 Park last week for an anniversary dinner, and, top to bottom, it was terrific. We hung at the bar with Ted, who was both a terrific ambassador for the restaurant and a fine bartender to boot. He made my wife a Hummingbird (a Paloma variation with St. Germain), and, when I asked for something challenging, he made me a drink he's calling Scotland the Brave: perfect.

Dinner was also top-notch. We started with a peekytoe crab amuse (great) and the justly famous prune-stuffed "gnocchi" (more like agnolotti, methinks), served with pieces of foie that were stained with Vin Santo; it was paired with a cocktail called the Salvatore (didn't get ingredients). We also had a confit baby octopus with cepes and matsutake mushrooms; the octopus had been crisped up somehow (grill? fryer?) so it was both melty and crunchy, two things that I don't associate with octopus.

The entrees were also terrific: a porcelet choucroute and a lamb saddle and shoulder. The lamb couldn't be improved upon, and the pork had only one flaw, an excessively salty mustard sauce dabbed next to the plate. The coconut and smoked banana dessert was excellent, but the chocolate cardamom sorbet was one of the best desserts we'd ever had.

It was one of the top three or four meals we've ever had.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I've had several great meals at No. 9 Park and one or two better-than-great ones. It's my favorite place in Boston for that kind of restaurant experience -- and as Chris said, the bar is excellent.

John Rosevear

"Brown food tastes better." - Chris Schlesinger

• 7 months later...

Seems like it may be time to pose this question again...one more time in this new season...I will be in Boston for several days and plan on doing the north shore one day and a Red Sox game one evening and one dinner at the "best restaurant" in Boston. My current research has led me to a choice between Menton and Craigies (leaning toward Craigies.) I would welcome any and all suggestions re itinerary and food. i.e. suggestions for pre-game restaurant/bar near Fenway or strong opinions Yea or Nay re Craigies etc. Thanks v. much!

• 2 weeks later...

With regard to your Craigie vs. Menton question, I have not yet been to Menton, but I hear good things and generally like Barbara Lynch's restaurants, esp. No. 9 Park. Craigie is good, and the new location is very popular, with a crowded bar scene. The atmosphere at Menton sounds much more refined. The menus are quite different too. So I'd say it depends on what you're looking for.

As for your question about destinations near Fenway Park, so as not to hijack this discussion, I started a new topic on that very subject here: Best food and drink near Fenway Park

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I thought you all may be interested in this map I made of what I consider to be the nicest places in the Boston area to eat a meal or get a drink. I've been living in the city for the past 5 years and cooking in it for the past 2 and this is what I've discovered. I've also included short anecdotes about each place. Hope this serves you well.

http://goo.gl/maps/Vcbb

Decent list. I've been to about half of those places and generally agree with your assessments. I should go work my way through the other half.

(Right now I'm addicted to dwelltime's iced coffee, and make it a point to stop there when in Cambridge)