• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sharpening & Maintaining Global Knives

Cephalopunk

no wire.  none.

or more precisely, none can be seen at 120x with a stereo dissecting microscope.   so if there is one, its only academic.

and pretty damn tinny. 

Thanks again for the various insights.  I will look into getting an Edge Pro - I've looked at them before with interest, it is obviously something that is useful for many years despite the initial outlay.

Since there are so many knife threads on Egullet I'll try and steer this one back on topic.  There are already threads just on Japanese knives, and I have referred countless people to this primer from the eGCI.

The original question - GF vs G - may not make sense unless you are really into knives.  For anyone else browsing this thread - Global are a Japanese knife manufacturer that became very popular very quickly.  Their initial knives were the "G" range, they are quite light compared to traditional European knives.  Their 20cm / 8in chefs knife (the G2) is their most popular product and many online articles credit this particular knife for the rapid spread in Global's popularity.  All of the knife blocks and sets that Global sell include the G2 as the chef's knife.  The GF series is heavier and made from a completely different process - the F stands for forged.  The GF-33 is the equivalent 20cm/ 8in chefs knife in the GF range.  It is (in Australia) about 50% more expensive than the G2, and none of the Global knife blocks or sets include it.

So my question is how these two knives compare - both are 20cm / 8in chefs knives made by the same company but made from a different process.

As I clarified above, I do not want to buy a knife without holding it.  I have used both the G2 and GF 33, just not next to each other.  I have not found a shop that stocks both.  The Sydney shop suggested above (Japanese knives and stones) is a great resource but is mail order only.

ChrisZ, re your original question - G2 or GF33? - you answered it yourself in the first line of your post: "I have been intending to replace my 25+ year old Wusthof chefs knife with something newer and lighter."
If you want lighter (and cheaper), choosing between those two, it's the G2. The GF33 is 50% thicker and a lot heavier.

I thought about it and realised that weight is not an issue, only length. I want something shorter than my 26cm Wusthof.  The GF 33 is still lighter and shorter than what I have.  Whether it is worth 50% is what I'm not sure about.  That's a big chunk of change towards an Edge Pro.

This is not exactly a pressing issue, I just value the opinions of everyone here.  The G vs GF question has been asked online before but surprisingly, I haven't found an in-depth response.

no wire.  none.

or more precisely, none can be seen at 120x with a stereo dissecting microscope. 

Please post! I bet Mr. Martel would be interested in seeing this also. I've personally never handled a Global that was actually sharp.

Notes from the underbelly

Sorry.  that was some time ago  and i can't get back to that microscope.

but Ill say this :  the 'wire' which I believe does exist with this metal  come from being

"" rushed "" when you sharpen

W/O the EP  these knifes would have been "" good "" i.e. not spectacular  but OK

but when you understand what waterstones or other stones do your your knives

you understand that the lightest  touch is what your are looking for

the EP simply takes the angle of the shavings out of the equation

that's a bit deal for me, and maybe more people

the lightest touch at then end of your sharpening  experience 

provided you keep the 'stones' completely flat and clean of metal shavings   well there it is.